1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter VTBP-201s Users! Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Apr 12, 2006.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Does anyone else have a problem clipping their poweramp with this pre? I can't turn this thing up more than halfway without going into the red on my Peavey power amp.

I leave my power at about 12:00 and my pre about 12:00 and that's where it begins to clip when I start to dig in... Any offers?? Or do I just need a new poweramp? It's a Peavey PV1500

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i had this problem too with my old 201s. never really got to the bottom of it, even after turning down the internal trim inside the chassis.

subscribing... now.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Maybe I'll head over to the Demeter site and try and get in touch with the man who created it, or one of the genius engineers I'm sure who sit around all day just coming up with rad new toys that we'll all rush out to buy.

I figure I could just turn the Volume on the pre way down and crank the amp, but you lose a lot of tone that way IMO, so I really don't wanna do that... I donno. I need another power amp to test it out on I think.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

I know some people like to set their power amp master to full, and then turn up their pre to where the volume is right. You may not get as much of that tube tone as you want, but you won't get it if you're clipping your poweramp either.

That being said, I haven't had that problem with my Demeter HBP-1 and CA9. Perhaps its only an issue with the VTBP. Give Adam at Demeter a call, he's super helpful.

Jake

5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    although my amp is tube, the 201s would push it about twice as loud as my current pre at the same volume; but i play loud so it wasn't too much of a problem :smug: ; never quite figured it out either.....

6. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Never had that problem with mine.
    I would first turn down the internal master volume pot as Joker suggested. Did you buy the pre new or used? Maybe there is some really hot tubes .... I think Demeter factory sets the interanl trim at 12:00 and use EH12ax7. Other than that, maybe it's your power amp or there is something wrong with the 201. Also, if your bass is passive, try the active input it's padded.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry, never had that problem...mine worked flawlessly.

Marshall

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I don't know, man...

On one hand, we've had guys saying that it doesn't push out enough gain and they've cranked the input trim and modded their QSC's.

Then we have posts like this saying that the signal is too hot and they're backing off on the internal trimpot.

There's physics involved here. Your amp is clipping because it's being walloped by the signal you're feeding it. If you need more volume, you'll have to increase your speaker area. If your volume is satisfactory and you want more headroom, get a higher rated or more efficient power amp.

A 12 o'clock volume setting is absolutely normal for this pre w/ semi-hot passive bass. If you're playing a low output passive bass you might have to bump it up to 2 or 3 o'clock. If you're playing a hot active bass in the passive input you might have to back off on the volume to about 10 or 11 o'clock.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have no problem driving my PLX's with my 201, a curious tag anyway.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have that problem too. Maybe we should call Demeter.

11. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    So don't turn it up past halfway. What's the problem?

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I never run mine at 12:00, usually more like 8 or 9 oclock

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

That isn't the issue. I don't, but at times I want to be able to turn up my power amp more than half.

Maybe it is just my amp. I need to get a new one anyhow (it's next on my list), so maybe a Stewart 1.6 would handle that better. Still kind of strange though.

I'm not sure what tubes are in it. I did get it used, but of course he didn't mention having this problem. And actually, now that I recall, when I got it last Spring I played this pre into a Mackie poweramp and never had this issue, and that was turning it UP, because I had a Schro 1210 instead of my 410 like now.

Just weird. Just hadn't ever really heard of this before...

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This is why comparing amp A and amp B with the knobs in the same position is a pointless exercise.

Your power amp is already at full volume - that's what the red clipping indicators are telling you. The knobs on the power amp are to adjust the sensitivity of the power amp, not the maximum output - so if you use a loud preamp then your power amp doesn't need as much sensitivity (i.e. gain) to reach full power.

Alex

15. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Good points Alex. Your already at max output so it sounds like you need a more powerful amp.

My 201s was quite hot. As has been mentioned, turning down the trim pot inside will allow for you to turn the volume up higher. I found that the end result was not much different.

16. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>This is why comparing amp A and amp B with the knobs in the same position is a pointless exercise.

Your power amp is already at full volume - that's what the red clipping indicators are telling you. The knobs on the power amp are to adjust the sensitivity of the power amp, not the maximum output - so if you use a loud preamp then your power amp doesn't need as much sensitivity (i.e. gain) to reach full power.<<

Alex hit the nail on the head.

I sense a fundamental misunderstanding about amplification w/ the posters who think that there's something wrong with their preamps.

It's like me saying..."I think my preamp is faulty because when I boost every band of EQ to the max it sounds bad. Why do they have that EQ on there then? Must be faulty."

or

"My amp has binding posts outs, speakon outs, 1/4" outs and XLR ins and 1/4 ins. Why doesn't my amp work properly when they're all hooked up at once? Why are they all there if you can't use all of them together? Must be a bad amp. "

I'm going to qoute James Demeter regarding his original pre when I casually asked him if there was a manual available about 8 years ago. "If you need a manual for this then you probably shouldn't own it."

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Man, that really does suck, because my power amp bridges at 1500W and I don't have it up past 12:00 and it's clipping. :meh: Sucks to be me, I guess!

What amps do people 'round here pair with their 201s and not have many problems with? I've heard PLX's thrown around, but any other input? It'll probably be between a 1600PLX or Stewart 1.6

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

still, with my old unit, no matter what i did, i just couldnt suss out the problem. hopefully, the one the original poster has isnt my old one! :eek:

19. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Its not that there is a problem because your amp is clipping at 12 or that the preamp output is too hot. You are turned up all the way. The problem is that your amp does not have enough power for your application.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

I don't think there's anything faulty about it. I love the way it sounds, and it blows away everything I've ever owned. I just wanted to know if other forumites have experienced the same kind of "issues" that I have. And I see I'm not alone. Hardly an issue of "working it" here. I make it sound exactly how I want it to. It doesn't have an output level on the DI and I've heard mixed remarks about the signal when it hits certain boards. So should I still not own it because the soundguy doesn't know how to adjust levels correctly?