Demeter VTBP201S warm up time??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Jan 19, 2006.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I've only had this pre for a few days now (got it S/H no instuctions)..

I was doing a quick mini shootout between the 201S, my mackie desk pre's and my RBI..

I only gave the Demeter about 1.5 min warmup time and pluged into the jensen balanced XLR on the back...

As I was playing through it I heard some crackly type sounds (sounded like a scratch pot).. Is this because the tubes are not warm yet?

I've left it on now for about 10 min and the problem is gone...

how long do you guys let these puppies warm up for??

ps.. ithe 201S KILLED the mackie and the RBI tone wise.... the RBI was mid scooped, hyped and very compressed sounding (blend @ 2 o'clock), the mackie was punchier in the mids but when I switched to the Demeter the mackie sounded like there was a pillow over it.. the top end definition on the Demeter is awesome.. also much more controlled bass and low mids.. the mackie "wooled out" easier... the 201S is a v :hyper: :hyper: ery hifi pre with great articulaton.
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I bought mine new and it had a set of tubes in it that would occasionally produce static or crackling sounds. This developed after a few weeks. Demeter sent me a new set and it worked perfectly. May be worth trying some new ones...
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very true, but you're comparing an apple and an orange, of course. The SABDDI/RBI sound is what it is. The compression and mid scoop are the tube emulation at work. To reduce those effects, you can roll Blend to 40% or below... you probably knew that.

Modularity is the great thing about rack rigs. It's why I hang onto a few preamps. For clean articulate tone, I use my Read Purity. For dirty gritty tones, I use the RBI.

Here's how I set up one of my rigs: Read Purity, SansAmp RBI, power amp. I take the output from the Purity and patch into the rear input of the RBI. I also engage the pad on the RBI rear input. When I want the tone of the Purity, I leave the RBI bypassed. I can blend both by activating the RBI. I also have the option of plugging into the front input of the RBI instead of the Purity: doing so disengages the rear input, so that's RBI alone.

Just a thought. If you don't wanna mess with the RBI anymore, that's perfectly cool too. I just know that my taste in tone frequently changes, so I like having options!
  4. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I had the exact same thing with mine (I bought a used one as well).

I replaced the preamp tube (the one on the left when looking at the front of the unit), and the warm up crackles went away. The original tube was an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH.

I put in a new TUNG-SOL 12AX7 and it sounds great - very even response, smooth top end and punchy mids.

I tried a Tesla/JJ ECC83-S - it sounded a little over the top (more like a guitar amp), and a new EH - sounded a bit harsh in the top end to me.

The TUNG-SOL is $25 AUD here:
  5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    thanks dudes.. i will try those Tung-Sol tubes from that link!!
  6. Suspect a slightly microphonic preamp tube. I replaced both of mine with JAN GE 12AX7's....beautiful sound.