Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter's 3x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 27, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just saw the BP review and now, its got me GAS'ed. anyone try one? anyone know how it stacks to Epi's 3x10?

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    whoa...where's this review at? is it the new issue?

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    They don't offer much info about it on their website... but apparently it's two inches wide! What a feat of Engineering! :D

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its the brand spankin' new issue of BP with the ever young Flea on the cover. besides his blue hair, the dem headline was one of the first things i noticed. :D

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Joker-
    I played this cab (as you may recall) at the late
    LABX:(

It's awesome- used it with both Demeter pre-amp
    & tube power amp- Sweet.Can't say how it compares with Epifani, except to state: "Probably very favorably!".

I think you need to buy a couple of these-
    right away!:D

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Where can they be bought, aside from the Demeter direct store?

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...hmmm....

...I wonder.....

:D

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    eh?

f

9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Read the specs on the website... "dimensions are 2W x 20.5H x 17D"
    These guys seem a little sloppy... they also make a big deal about the cab's light weight, but they don't bother to tell you HOW MUCH it weighs. Frequency response and sensitivity specs would also help.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Larry!!! long time no see, good to see ya back.

Golem,

according to the BP review, it said it was 63 lbs. 63 freakin' lbs.!!! considering most 2x10's are 60 lbs. very nice if you ask me. i'm at my gf's place, so i cant tell you the freq specs, but when i get home, i'll post 'em up for you. to say the least it was quite impressive to T. Buddha and the BP crew, which is why i'm sooo GAS'ed.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    k, boyz and girlz, here's the specs:

Frequency response: 36Hz-20kHz
    Sensitivity: 103dB SPL (1 watt, 1 meter)
    Power Rating: 450 watts RMS
    Impedence: 5.3 ohms
    Tweeter Crossover freq: 3.5kHz
    Wooder Magnet Weight: 38 oz.
    Dimensions: 21.75" x 20.5" x 17"
    Weight: 63 lbs.

List: $999
    1 yr. limited warranty.

Uses a coaxial driver for the upper woofer: 1" compression driver screwed into woofer back. 100 watt L pad to regulate tweeter level. two 211-S light bulbs, wired in parallell to double current handling capability. Two front mounted ducted ports.

and all sweetness.... :D

12. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    :( list is $1000 now??? When I called just two months ago he said I could buy for $550....inflation is a bitch!

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Here's the Epi T-310, just for refernce:

Speaker: 3 x 200W RMS Cast Aluminum Frame / 100W RMS Tweeter
    Frequency Response: 39hz - 18khz / Usable Low Freq 32hz
    Power Rating: 600W RMS (1800W Peak) 5.3 Ohms
    Suggested Power Amp Wattage: 300W - 1000W
    Dimensions: 23" H x 21 1/2" W x 16 1/2" D
    Sensitivity: 103 db SPL @1W 1M
    Weight: 70 lbs

The Epi lists for $1,250
    [​IMG]

And here's the Demeter (which, BTW, they have on-sale direct on the Demeter site for $849):
    [​IMG]

14. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Just wondering, why doesn't it have any cornerpieces? Is Demeter trying to make some kind of statement about being "high end" by not associating themselves with more pedestrian, utilitarian bass equipment? :rolleyes:

15. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Anyway, looks like the Demeter's got a slight edge over the Epifani, but I can't be sure till I hear them so I guess I'll just have to buy one of each :)

I've got a couple of questions about these 3x10's, though... these ones are supposed to be rated at 5.3 ohms impedance, but Bergantino's is rated at 4. How is it mathematically possible to get a 4 ohm impedance rating with 3 speakers, through any combination of series and parallel wiring? Or did they just assign this value arbitrarily? (since there's no way to determine EXACT impedance anyway, and if people think it's lower than it is they're less likely to overload their amp.)

Also, is there any risk in using 5.3 ohm cabs with tube heads, where you're supposed to match impedance as accurately as possible? If not, what should you set the amp to, 8 or 4 ohms?

16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i'm not sure if it is wiring differences but it could be that it is 2 16 ohm speakers and 1 8 ohm speaker to get 4 ohms. i know that is how a local guy does them but then again his cabs suck... does a h/f horn/tweeter affect impedance as such? because he never uses them. to get the 5.3 ohms i believe that it is 3 16 ohm speakers. and no you can't run at 8 ohms for the 5.3 just at 4 (technically 5.3) or less.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    au contraire, mon frere,

I think the Epifani seems to have an edge over the demeter. the proof seems to be in the pudding, with a larger wattage capablity and slightly wider freq. response. but the mere spec showing its as light as most 2x10's has got me very interested.

i'm fast becoming a Demeter guy, and the BSC-1 seems like a real contendah. hopefully the 3x10 will be successful, and Jimmy'll have no other choice but to expand the speaker line, and make a push with the 2x12. Yippee!!

at any rate, i'm kinda interested in Golem's question too. i'm thinking out loud here, but what if a guy was to run a pair of the 5.3 ohms babies in series? not like i'd ever be GAS'd in such a way ;), but what would that work out to? < 2 ohms? that's freaky! btw, what's that formula again?

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it would be 2.65-2.66 ohms so a 2 ohm load should be ok...

19. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    wait... according to the specs posted in this thread, wouldn't the Demeter have better frequency response? 36-20K as opposed to Epifani's 39-18K? Though, I'm not sure what that additional "usable low frequency" spec on the Epifani's sheet means. The Epifani can handle more power, but seems to go for a higher price (though used epifanis occasionally pop up at insanely low prices, and used demeters are as rare as they come.)

I think to calculate the impedance you multiply the impedances of the two speakers, then divide that by the added impedances of both speakers...
    (X x Y) / (X + Y)
    so with an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab, you get
    (8 x 4) / (8 + 4)
    that's 32/12, or 2.6 .

If you wire cabs or speakers in series instead of parallel, you add their imedances together, right? So you could use 3 8 ohm speakers in a 3x10" cab... wire two in series for an impedance of 16, and 1 8 ohm speaker in parallel. This would give you 5.3 ohms. But FNA's description would work if you wanted 4 ohms with 3 speakers.

An all-demeter rig is starting to look pretty good right now... a 3x10 on top of a 2x12, maybe, with their all-tube poweramp and an HBP-1... all for a mere $5000 or so! More realistically though, the 3x10 would be an great companion for a vtbp-201 and small poweramp... Think it'd be loud enough to cut through 2 100 watt guitars and an egotistical keyboard player, at an outdoor gig?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most definitely... ;) actually, i'd love to upgrade my mighty mini rig, to an all Dem rig, too. my Dem per w/ the Stu, and a fatty 3x10 underneath?! Ooooo!

as for the epi vs. dem, you're right, but i was looking more at the power handling, thinking it'd be louder. i'm shooting in the dark, but the SPL's would make that moot, no?