Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demian

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BarnacleBassist, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Has anyone here read the novel Demian by Herman Hesse? I just finished it and found it truely amazing... one of the greatest novels I have read...

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Why? What's it about?

3. You know when people say"man, you could only have seen it"

well this book cannot be explained... You have to read it...

BUt if you enjoy reading, I Urge you, In fact I Bekon you to go and read it.

I guarentee you will not read anything better... besides Dantes Inferno

4. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It has been years since I read Demian, but I do remember really liking it. You should check out Siddhartha, also written by Hermann Hesse and one of my all-time favorite books.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Never heard of it!! :confused: I have read Siddharta, Narziss and Goldmund, Glass Bead Game and Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse; but I've never heard of "Demian". I looked on Amazon in the UK , as I was interested, but it is not there.

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere over here, but I looked on the US Amazon and it says :

Synopsis: Hesse portrays the turmoil of Emil Sinclair, a docile young man who is drawn by his schoolmates into a secret and dangerous world of petty crime and revolt against convention. From the Publisher: One of the great writers of the twentieth century tells the dramatic story of a young man's awakening to selfhood.

Editorial Reviews
    Saturday Review

"Hesse is not a traditional teller of tales but a novelist of ideas and a moralist of a high order...The autobiographical undercurrent gives Damian an Existentialist intensity and a depth of understanding that are rare in contemporary fiction." --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Book Description
    In Demian, one of the great writers of the twentieth century tells the dramatic story of young, docile Emil Sinclair's descent--led by precocious shoolmate Max Demian--into a secret and dangerous world of petty crime and revolt against convention and eventual awakening to selfhood.

"The electrifying influence exercised on a whole generation just after the First World War by Demian...is unforgettable. With uncanny accuracy this poetic work struck the nerve of the times and...

6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
  7. Bruce Lindfield

How weird! I just realised what it is - being English I searched for Herman Hesse and Amazon comes up with about 20 results for this - not including Demian.

But your search is for Hermann Hesse and comes up with 147 titles - so depending on how you spell it - Herman or Hermann - you get more or less books.

Maybe we should tell Amazon - most English people would spell the name Herman - (Herman's Hermits!!) so we are losing out ! ;)

8. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I just searched for Demian... :)
    But yes, both spellings should get full results.

9. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    Demian was indeed a great book, combining Freudian Psychology with Existential Philosophy, it doesn't get much better than that.

10. Bruce Lindfield

I've written to Amazon UK to point this out to them. I'll see if I get a reply - they say this should be within 24 hours?

11. I have read that book several times, each time closing it and facing those heavy existential woes..Wondering if I should read Beckett as dessert!! Great book, one of my favorites..

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, I will read it. With my 5 month old twins it will take me six months, but I'll give it go.

13. Well like I said if you read it, you will be left both puzzled yet intrigued.

I was so inspired by this book I am trying to write one on my own...

and yeah I want to read SIddhartha, and I am also reading Journey To Ixtlan by Carlos Casteneda, which is also good

14. Bruce Lindfield

I did get a reply but it was just a standard - thank you for your letter - kind of thing! :(

15. Don't know "Demian" but "Steppenwolf" is one of my all-time favorite books, "Siddhartha" isn't too bad either.

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You guys have inspired me. I now would like to add those 2 books to my reading list. Just need to get Fahrenheit 451 finished and then I'll start them.

17. I've read a couple of Hesses' and really liked them.

I've never seen Demian in the shops though.

18. Mr. Schmidt, the man who introduced me to Demian, also said Journey TO The East by Herman Hesse is excellent.. I havent read yet...