Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demise of the Peerless 811647 1" Silk Dome Tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petebass, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I know a few of you have used this with great success as replacement horns and in your DIY bass cabs.

According to PartsExpress, it is no longer in production.

Bummer!

Anyone know of any other silk domes tweetes with a high 90's DB rating that's capable of around 100W?

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    IIRC both Accugroove and Acme use a 1"-ish silk dome shallow horn tweeter made by Audax. Probably worth checking out.

Alex

3. Petebass, try www.madisound.com. They have some in their regular catalog still. Stock up while they're available! Only 22.45 too.

4. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
  5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

I don't know why they discontinued it. It's such a nice sounding tweeter :(

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks guys.

I've emailed Madisound and he has some on backorder. If that doesn't pan out, i'll give that Vifa tweet a try. I'm a little worried that 95dB sensitivity may still be a little too low. the cab is a 1x12 + 1x10. Each driver has a sensitivity of 96dB, so the cab's overall sensitivity rating is more like 99dB. the peerless would have been perfect......

7. Maybe use 2? I don't know how expensive they are, but that would move your sensitivity up, assuming the impedance is correct. (But I'm sure you knew that)

BT

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not a bad idea! Using 2 tweets won't affect the overall nominal impedance of the cab because the will both be sitting behind the crossover. The impedance is only an issue when I calculate the crossover values, which shouldn't pose a problem.

Decisions decisions!

9. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've used the Vifa's in the car audio realm for a while now. They are one of the sweetest, smoothest tweeters I've heard. They have/had them in size up to a 3" soft dome (we would use them for midrange in component systems with incredible results.). There is also a company called Morel that makes comparable soft domes, but I'm not sure of the spec's on them. The Morels are relatively inexpensive as well. Do a search on Google and some dealers will pop up.

Don't know if this info helps, but I thought I'd throw it out.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been emailing Josh at Madisound. The ones he had on backorder have arrived and I've placed my order. He is under the impression that Peerless are still making them, so there's no need to panic.

11. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    And the Audax ones? how do they compare. I guess they must be *fairly* good as it is said that the y are in the Accugroove stuff?

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I didn't look into those. I'm pretty sure the ones Accugroove use are not the same as the ones you can buy over the counter.

13. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    heh heh! yeah, that doesn't surprise me given the price tag of those Accu lovelies.

14. Maybe this whole thing started because Parts Express decided not to carry them anymore? I don't think too many companies carry parts they don't make money on. But what do I know?:meh:

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I went back to the text books I used when I did my Business degree, trying to find the paragraph that says "if a business decides not to stock an item because it's not a volume seller, they should put a note on their website saying that it's no longer in production".

I couldn't find it. I keep finding sections that suggest you don't hold stock and instead, sell them on special order only....But what do I know?:meh:

16. Alright, so I'm not a business major. (good thing) I thought just maybe they had a reason for not selling it other than it wasn't available any more.

17. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    All I can say is that my modest experiment in upgrading my avatar cab with a peerless tweeter made the cab sound like it cost more! lol. Definitely worth the time and energy spent. I do suggest using a 100 watt attenuator and wiring in a fuse to protect it tho...great results...I'm still happy to this day and I use the cab 2x/week.

Ed

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It is my understanding that both ACME and Accugroove use the exact same silk dome tweeter (with Accugroove, of course, employing two per cab). Andy and Mark are both extremely great guys to deal with. They might be willing to either sell you a tweeter or at least provide you with a contact name for ordering one (or two).

It's not the most efficient design out there, but let me tell you, that is one smooth and beautiful sounding tweeter.

Tom.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    From what I read here we can deduce that the tweeter used would have an efficiency in the low to mid 90 dB range, similar to the Vifa tweeter mentioned earlier. Acme can get away with using only one because their efficiency ratings fall between 90dB for the 1x10 and 96dB for the 4x10. Accugroove need to employ 2 because their cabs seem to start at 100dB efficiency.

I'd definitely need 2 for the cab I'm going to put it in.

I'll take all this info on board and keep it in mind if the peerless experiment doesn't work out. I don't even know if I'm going to like the smoother horns yet....... time will tell

20. You would probably make your present tweeter sound much better with a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley crossover (3.3KHZ) such as the one I made. It is much smoother now, harshness and distortion gone. It made my Avatar cab with Foster horn a dream to play.
    See my post "Built a crossover for Avatar horn"

Gary