Demo Pet Peeves!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Feb 19, 2019.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've been watching a lot of demos of ODs and boosts, trying to find some new dirts to inspire me.
    However, I've started to notice in a LOT of pedal demos some very simple and stupid practices.
    One being when the clean tone and effected tone are at very different volumes.
    Clean is super soft an quiet, effected is SMURFING LOUD, and you have no idea how the pedal is changing the tone, or even if it's only the pedal that's overdriving, or the amp as well, or the interface, or your computer speakers, or...

Second is when they "demo" the knobs, but never bring the gain knob below noon. Because nobody likes low gain tones, right?!?
    The knob just vacillates between noon and fully cranked. Great. Super job showing me the full sweep of the gain range. Thanks.

I'll post demo vids that have these issues if anyone doubts me, but...
    What are your demo video pet peeves?

2. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I always try to watch these topics closely. Part of the reason I started doing demos was because the demos available were about 90 percent talking, and 10 percent one setting on the pedal. My main pet peeve for the longest time has been extensive talking in demos.

To clarify, I think there is a missing distinction between a ‘demo’ and a ‘review.’ If you want to talk about a pedal and what you think, then title the video a review and all is good and well. But when a video is marketed as a demo and it’s onky talking, then it’s not a demo.

Anyway, the only other thing that bothers me is crappy audio. That’s the one thing people are there for, to HEAR the pedal, and if it’s a camera mic or clipped audio or in whatever way not optimal, I click away fast.

Edit: coincidentally saw this on instagram this morning...

9E84D900-59A6-46FC-B28C-3A9E520BB339.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My biggest pet peeve is when a gear demo makes me aware of something spectacular that I immediately want, but don’t need, cant afford, and don’t have easy access to. I really hate it when they do that.

4. Milo's

Milo's Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Pet peeve is slap bass all over the video. Talk, talk, talk, slap bass, talk, talk, talk, slap bass, turn knob, slap bass.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I watched a demo for a smurfing distortion where the bassist played fingerstyle for ~10 seconds, then slapped for 3 minutes!!! Who the smurf associates slap bass with distortion?!?

So yeah, inappropriate playing style for the product could be another pet peeve.

6. I find dirt box demos pretty much useless
    is it the pedal or $4000 tube amp making that cool tone?
    what if it's both?
    not having before and after at the same volume level is completely misleading because of how the human ear hears
    while I was tweaking some mods on my metal zone, some fellas on another forum suggested that it would be best to record guitar-> pedal-> interface because any differences in eq/volume would be adjusted by me on the amp to compensate anyway

7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I can't stand wordy, over-explanation of basic pedal and knob functions. "This is the VOLUME knob. It controls the volume!" I've seen demo videos where the first half of the video is the guy explaining what the pedal is and what the knobs do. I guess if you were a space alien, that would be informative, but most of us already know what the drive, volume and tone knobs do, just plug the thing in so we can HEAR it.

And if you can't close mic your amp and are using your camera's built-in mic, don't bother to post it to YouTube.

StevieMac, murphy, MynameisMe and 2 others like this.
  8. I misread that at first, but yes!

There's a guitar demo of the Tech21 Leeds. The guy is awesome, has a cool accent, very entertaining.
    He was using a Vox AC30 and I quickly realized most of the tone was his AC30.

The opposite is true when I heard a few Darkglass demos that were direct, with a speaker sim.

Which brings me to MY PET PEEVE.

USE A SPEAKERSIM IF YOU ARE GOING TO DEMO A REGULAR OVERDRIVE/DISTORTION DIRECT!!!!!!!
    (I don't mean one that's supposed to have a sim/filter already)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    ObsessiveArcher and murphy like this.
  9. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    They all start sounding the same.

10. Totally agree about the too much talking. Redundancy. Poor lighting and camera are a turn-off too. I really appreciate the professionally done videos that have on screen explanations. And slapping? I like slapping, but I want to hear the gear in the fielsd in its natural environment. I didn't tune into a demo video to attend a 15 minute wankfest.

ObsessiveArcher and MynameisMe like this.
  11. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Mountains
    Not a cop.
    I like Bassic Gear Review for some things, but I think they’re guilty of this. Heavy right hand attack most of the time, and they often mic a nice fender tube amp. So all the drive pedals are effectively being gain stacked when you hear them. It’s hard to hear what’s what if you are intending to use the pedal with a clean/SS amp.

ObsessiveArcher and murphy like this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Larry Graham:)

13. One of the things that I hate is when a pedal has Bass end Treble knob but the demoer (is that a word??) doesn't show how they interact together. Specially, the rarely show how the pedal reacts when both Bass and Treble are turned down and the volume turned up to compensate (thus bringing up the mids), which is one of my favorite settings.

14. Actually, I just started making my own demos and this kind of criticism is quite useful. If any of you has time, (SPAM alert!) please check the first one I posted here and fire away your complaints!

Demo videos (suggestions and criticism are welcomed)

You guys are basically my target audience, so I'm really interested in your opinion. :thumbsup:

ObsessiveArcher and rohi like this.
  15. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'ville Florida
    What I don’t get is when they are showing you a bass, strings, effects, whatever and the accompaniment tract they’re playing with is louder than their instrument. All you hear is the canned music. I watch these YouTube videos all the time and find this.

FilterFunk, br1qbat and TNCreature like this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    1 - Too much talking in demo videos . One person pops to mind more than any others.
    2 - often no good mix of relevant and informative stuff played: example octave pedals. People play licks and runs and grooves but leave out sustained notes and range checks.

3- some are more arty farty nice videos than informative tools for decision making.

I find that there is much promise in the one by Wito I saw.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    jw23mind and MynameisMe like this.
  17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'ville Florida
    Yes, the excessive talking. I have been looking at flatwound string vids and too much splaining, not nuf playin...

Frellin Smesh likes this.
  18. Frellin Smesh

Frellin Smesh

Jul 1, 2016
    London
    7 deadly sins of bass pedal demos
    1. Labelling video titles in English and then proceeding to review the pedal in Thai, German, Spanish, etc
    2. Only playing with a pick for the whole demo
    3. Using poor camera mics to record the sound.....WHY?
    4. Using extreme gain/wet settings for 90% of the demo
    5. Treble always turned to 11 with no low end to be found - "clank clank clank"....
    6. Having breasts in the thumbnail, but no breasts in the video :(
    7. Your house cat prancing over the pedal during the review (*I don't actually mind this*) :whistle:

19. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Mostly agree, but there are a lot of pedals that use cutesy labels on all the knobs. Spending some time explaining that “BLARGH” is the volume, “FLORCH” is the blend, and so on... that’s a public service.

20. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    One of the best review/demo of a bass related product IMO was by a DIY guy reviewing a D800+.
    He gave his opinion, played a relatively easy line, looped it, and went through each knob/function one at a time. All began with all EQs flat on the amp. About 20 minutes, but worth it IMO.
    Peaves:
    "Blah blah blah, and the blah blah can give you blah blah...blikety blak, plink plink blinkety blak thump thump bling ring out...
    and you can go from blah to blah blah with the new blah blah...
    {repeat blinkety blak}
    From blah blah tones to clean and articulate blahs it all can be done with the all new redesigned vintage classic antiqued tones with modern vintage soft agressive tones of the new blah.
    ...and NEVER a pick to be found/heard.
    IMO, some of the most even handed and comprehensive reviews/demos:
    Guitar Interactive
    Bass The World
    Anderton Music
    Some of the worst IMO:
    Some group in Chicago
    Corporate sites
    Sites which repeat ad nauseum the corporate marketing points
    Reviews/demos with three exclamation points affixed.
    10 minute reviews/demos with 7:30:00 of blah blah blah 1 minute of don't forget to subscribe, and the 1 minute of jump cuts of facial expressions, and the 20 second of intro and outrow of garbage power chordal arrangements...
    not much time remaining for review/demo now is there?
    Calgon take me away, stop the insanity, dude looks like a lady, nothing comes between me and my Calvin... ;)

[email protected] likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022