Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Democratic Fund-Raiser... should i accept the gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by stu FORD, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    tonight i got asked to play bass with this guy i know somehow at a democratic fund raiser. now for those who dont know, in northern michigan, there are very very few democrats, and those who are, are mostly college students. i, for one, am not affiliated with any political party, being that if i was it doesnt mean **** cause im not of voting age, but i cant stand hippies. this guy, is THE biggest hippie ive ever met, but hes a somewhat cool guy, when hes not carrying on his hippie business. anyway, this would be my first non school related "gig," and i dont know if i should take it or not.

any thoughts?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    "There are a lot of bad democrats, there are no good republicans"- Some person on CN8

Take it if you want. You're just playing bass, you're not making a fecking speech :p.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The only question you need to ask is how much does it pay? If it is a freebie then pick a party.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Pretty humorous, guess that's why it is in the bass humor
    section :D

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    There are only 2 reasons I would turn down ANY gig:

1. I already have an equal or better gig scheduled for the same time.

2. My boss or my wife won't let me go at that particular time.

The boss is flexible if I give him enough warning, and the wife knows it had better be really important, like one of the kid's graduations or weddings or something like that.

Notice that neither of those 2 reasons have anything to do with what kind of music it is, let alone something as insignificant as who I will be playing for!

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    WAIT A MINUTE - I didn't mean to say "an equal or better gig", just "a previous gig". I'm not the kind of guy who would cancel a gig I already committed to because something better came along. GEEZ, what was I (not) thinking when I wrote that???

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You can play for free every day of the week. When starting out there are 2 things to watch out for:

1. The person asks you to do it because it's for a "good cause."

2. The person who says "It will give you some great exposure."

With either one you wind up working your butt off and getting no pay. It also exposes you to more people wanting your services for free.

8. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    nice, cause i got both of those things... also the person who asked me is in my moms book club. i guess they were meeting here last night, and i was up here just jammin out, and then all these middle age women come up here, and they want to see a window my mom made. and this hippie asks me to play with her and her husbands band at this thing.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    SURE why not? as long as it pays money who cares? Make sure and wear your Ted Nugent Tshirt. Will make for good conversation.

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    At some point in time you are likely to play in front of people you don't particularly like. Most times you won't know that until you're already there.

My 2nd gig with my current band, we went to this bar waaaay out in the sticks. For grins, I'll post a picture of my band. It helps the story........I'm the one in the LA Kings jersey ;)

[​IMG]

So I arrive at the bar. Our guitar player is the only other band member there. I walk in with my gear, go to the bandstand and call my wife from my cellphone.

Me: "Melanie, you remember that scene in "48 hours where Eddie Murphy walks into the bar?"

Mel: "Umm, yes...."

Me: "Well, that's where I'm at right now"

Mel: "I'll pray for you"

For those who don't get the "48 Hours" reference, Nick Nolte takes Eddie Murphy (dressed in a suit) into a seriously red-neck bar, complete with Confederate Flags, etc...

We've played that bar three times since, including last night. It's a half decent gig, but none of my friends would EVER come out to see me there.

Peace,

James

11. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    it doesnt pay money dude, its a fund raiser.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When Zulufunk can play @ one, you can too. ;)

13. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i totally dont understand what you mean by that

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Well, I have to take back some of what I posted earlier about exposure. 15 years ago I help some friends with a freebie gig. We just got a rather good paying gig from the same guy we played for way back then.

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Every political fundraiser I've played has been a paying gig.

16. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    this one doesnt

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK, so if this is a group of musicians you want to jam with and you don't mind a political group making some money while you work for free, then go ahead and play the gig.

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sometimes we have to be steady... and do what's right.

Wait, you said no pay? Nevermind.

19. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    A gig's a gig, but I would relentlessly harass them about being pinko commies.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd play free for a democrat fundraiser the same day that Satan iceskates out his back door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.