Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demos and covers and copyrights

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bob Bl., Jul 19, 2004.

1. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    ..oh my! (sorry...) :rollno:

Here's a spin on the usual copyright question. I realize the answer to the usual question is, "Yes, you have to deal with copyrights and royalties if you record someone else's copyrighted material."

The story here is: My band just got done recording a 5-song demo CD. 3 covers + 2 original songs. I'm plan on giving this CD to club owners, promoters, etc, to hopefully get some new gigs. That is, I'm doing just what people do with a pure demo. It will NOT be sold to anyone, ever. In this case, do I need to worry about copyrights and such on those 3 cover tunes?

I'm not sure if getting zero directly accountable profit changes the picture or not. Or maybe I just worry too much. (Oh, those responsible, ethical bass players!)

Whadaya think?

Bob

Thanks - Bob

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    hmmm, maybe a lawyer will chime in. The Harry Fox Agency bills for mechanical rights based on CD production, not CD sales, my guess is that if it never sees the light of day no one's the wiser. But having cleared the royalties does leave you free from worry if you record 4 more originals and then want to sell the CD at gigs...