1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Demoted" to bari sax

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    the group i've been playing with for over a year and a half has yet to play a gig. consist of me on bass, a guitarist, drummer, keyboardist, and occasionally a singer

none of us are the primary songwriters of the group. i come up with bass lines and we try to create a song around that. I record every practice which helps but it seems like when the next practice comes around they forget their part even though it's recorded or it wasn't good enough i guess to keep.

we came up with probably around 20-30 songs but maybe 5-6 are keepers.

the drummer recently asked if i could play bari sax because he knows a bassist/singer that writes music and could take our band further

i ran into a trombone player this weekend who is on board and it seems seredipidous that we did see each other because he knows a trumpet and tenor sax player that could do well in our group.

sounds great yeah?

but i still want to play bass and im getting discouraged in my life musically to the point where i wonder if i should just give in a accept that i can't play both?

don't have kids yet but if i were to be in another group, i don't know how the wife would handle me dedicating more time to music than our relationship.

should i just take it as it is now and see if anything happens or should i just cut my losses and start a group where i play bass and sax?

i should have never picked up bass

2. Getting bounced from bass to baritone sax in a group that has no brass section is the kiss of death. However, receiving the kiss of death from a band that has never gigged and seems to have no real direction takes the sting out of it.

You'll have more opportunities as a decent bass player than you will as a decent sax player in the world of rock. I played "bass brass" for years before I picked up bass strings. Best decision I've ever made. Best fun I've ever had.

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    well there might be a full horn section in this group. bari,bone,trumpet,tenor but as of now it's just bari and trombone

im cautiously optimistic

4. question 1- do you own a good Bari?

2- I play bass and used to play saxes, and I write a bit for bari, doubling bass parts and counterpoint to the bass, not just using the bari as a foundation for the horn section. Depending on what they want you to do, this could be either a great learning experience or a dud. I mean since you know the bass parts already, you have a leg up on creating some great bari parts, if you have the room to do it.

3- Bari and bone is kind of tubby, well, farty, if you ask me. to low mids to get on top of the music, and right in the same range as the guitar. Not a good combo, from my experience.. If they insist on a bone, then what will have to happen, to avoid the bone getting into the bari's way, is for the bone to be used like a fluegel horn, playing in his upper registers. Not always a good sound. And you sure do not want to be playing in the upper registers of the bari. That is silly, you might as well get a tenor, instead .

I would not move over until the entire horn section has been brought in and debugged.

5. Words of wisdom right there.

6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    My Bari is pretty nice. Kind of unconventional in the sense that it's a Holton from the 60's but it's a pro horn. We have lots of recruits for the rest of the section. This could be awesome or a headache. We'll see what happens