1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Demystifying Metal styles, how to make fingerstyle playing heard in Metal

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Creede

Creede

May 15, 2015
    It's kinda a shame. I was really hoping for a followup from the OP, but alas, there is none. I guess life isn't all about Talkbass and Metal for everyone. Anyway, I do have a question about technique. Does anyone use the Gary Willis technique to play metal? I personally enjoy prog metal and jazz fusion, so I'm learning it to play fast lines that are also interesting and intervallic, but I was wondering if people used it in more simple forms of metal. It's not all that common so I wouldn't be too surprised if no one here or anywhere used it, but I am curious.

2. I have a Gary willis gwb35 with ramp, I can see how it would work but would need to play lines akin to Sean Malone from cynic I think... I used the ramp to to play normally floating thumb style with a super light touch but now I play in a metal band where the fretless doesn't fit and combine slap /pop with fingers so couldn't use a ramp anyway...

Keen to hear how you use it though... And I'm opposite from most people in this thread, I dislike treble and fret clank though acknowledge it is good in certain styles.

3. Creede

Creede

May 15, 2015
    Fretless metal bass is one of my favorite sounds, but yeah it's a bit more nuanced. I prefer the smoother, warmer tone to trebly clank by a long shot, so much so that I can't listen to some technical death metal because of the bass tone.

theunknowndude likes this.
  4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I've picked up Alex Webster's books but haven't flipped through them recently - what practice techniques are you using for getting your playing really clean and solid during really fast passages?

I've got to keep up with these two knuckleheads ;):

5. Hmm practice slowly and a lot with three fingers? Then can play quicker without "forcing it"... Play with a lower setup too if that helps?

6. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I can only get so low without buzzing, but that's definitely been helpful. I know I need to lighten my touch as well, it's just that some of the passages are REALLY tricky (as you can probably gather).

7. Basically just keep practicing to a metronome at half speed while taking extreme care to get each and every note out cleanly. This is the best way to figure out the easiest finger pattern. Often, the first way to play something that springs to mind isn't the best way, and you keep flubbing it when playing it at speed. Once you relearn it, you're good to go.

8. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Wow, great post. Some of this, I knew, but most of it is new to me.
    Thanks for posting such a thorough explanation.