denaturated alcohol

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by abriemzh, Dec 13, 2004.

1. i have read some posts that suggest to soak your dead string with denaturated alcohol. i wonder what is the denaturated alcohol really used for, is it the same with paint solvent (thinner) ??? i lived in indonesia (south east asia) and i dont know what you named it here. i really want to try that method. thanks!!!!
  2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It's ethanol that has had other solvents added to it to make it undrinkable. That makes it cheaper, in the US at least, for tax reasons.
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use Isopryl Alchohol. I do not boil my strings in it.After a gig
    I wet the corner of a cloth or hand towel I swipe from Hotels.
    After wetting the corner,not sopping wet,but good & damp,
    I wrap the corner of the towel around one string at a time
    and pull it snug around the string and go up and down the length of the string a few times,you can see all the crud that
    comes off,it turns the corner of the towel a dark color.This
    gets off as sweat & crud off the strings,and I find my strings
    keep there "Zingyness" alot longer that way.The isopryl is
    also called Rubbing Alchohol and is available cheap at all drug
    stores.I try and do this before packing up the Bass,I also
    wipe down the body of the Bass with a polishing cloth.That
    way next time I take it out of the Hardcase or Gigbag it is ready to go.I have neen doing this since the mid 80's. :)
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    denatured alcohol works wonders for me; it doesn't contain any water (keep water away from your strings unless you're going to spend time and energy money from your oven).

i like it because i like to dump strings and forget them for a couple of days....BTW, you can just use a tupperware type thingy that you can get for a couple of bucks at the dollar store.

5. will rubbing alcohol hurt your fretboard/bass wood?
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm actually looking at a similar subject on the DB side of the luthier recommends using denatured alcohol to clean an ebony fretboard...i'm still not sure about this....

in re rubbing alcohol, personally i wouldn't use on my strings or my bass.

i just bought some more denatured alcohol at Lowes a few minutes was only 3 bucks plus change.
  7. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Not if just a little gets on,but do not soak it or wipe it on,it dries the wood to much.What I use to clean the Fretboard
    is Aerosol Windex,not the blue lquid type,but the window
    cleaner type in the aerosol can,spray that on and clean
    with a toothbrush and wipe off with paper towels.Then apply
    a thin coat of Boiled Linseed oil,let sit for about 5 minutes or so,and buff it off with a clean towel or paper towel,this will leave a nice shiny coat on the fretboard.I use that for Rosewood,Pao Ferro and Ebony. On Maple boards or Rosewood
    boards with Clear Coat (Ric) I use martin guitar polish.
    I have been doing this for 20 years and it works great.I have
    22 Basses and one Guitar so I try and do most of the upkeep myself to keep costs down. :)
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    does this leave a oily residue? i have been thinking of trying this on my EUB with an ebony board.
  9. how about soaking stainless steel strings???
    before i went soaking, i have tried to boil dead strings, but boiling stainless doesnt affect much to the tone.
    has anyone tried soaking SS string before??
  10. Works fine.
  11. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    You dont leave it wet,you buff it off til it just leaves a sheen
    on the board.
  12. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I find towels to be too coarse. Try a finer cloth and you'll get more crud off.

I use 99% pure alcohol for this. Pharmacies typically don't put this on display as they fear alcoholics may buy it to drink.

Manufactures add gasoline or ethanol to render it undrinkable. I prefer ethanol as it tastes better ...

*LOL* seriously, the gasoline leaves a residue but the ethanol doesn't.

I have a body chemistry that produces a lot of perspiration. For this reason before I play I;
    1. wash my hands
    2. rinse my hands with rubbing alcohol (70% proof)
    3. dry them of with small towels I borrowed from a hotel.
  13. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003

:D :ninja: :bag:
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been doing this with stainless steel strings for 2 1/2 years. Works great!
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    and embellisher is the one who has saved me some bread (his posts taught me how)!!

:D ;)