Dennis Chambers-A Bassist's Drummer?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I was changing my weekly rotation of cds the other day, and decided to grab mostly "bassist" cds. Dennis Chambers was the drummer on HALF of them. He's the drummer on both of the Gary Willis solo albums, Alain Caron's "Rhythm and Jazz", Front Page with Dominique DiPiazza, the Bass Extremes "Just Add Water Album, and with a little looking around online I see he's also played with Willis with Uncle Moe's Space Ranch and Bunny Brunel. Quite a resume-anyone dig this guy?
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so much that i named one of my tunes chambers :D
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Love him. BUT, to be brutally honest I found CAB2 to be the weakest, lamest, most pathetic "fusion" recording I've ever heard. Shame.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh please, Dennis Chamber's is the bassists dream drummer! That dude's got chops for days!! And has no formal musical training! He was down with the Parliament/Funkadelic conglomerate, Maceo and has pretty much played with every fusion band incarnation, has played with Steely Dan and lawd knows who else! I think he's Santana's current tour drummer! The cat can flat out play! I have a few Tom Coster cd's and he's got some sick work on those!
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great drummer. I've seen him many times with Mike Stern. Also saw him play in a trio with John McLaughlin and what's his name.....B3 guy with monster chops....
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Dennis is so bad, he don't need a bassplayer.
  7. Joey Defrancesco
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Check out those Niacin cd's with Billy Sheehan, whoo boy!
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    His philosiphy is that if the bass player is doing a lot of slap and percussive moves, he lays back somewhat because he doesn't want thing to be too busy.
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    His playing on "Loud Jazz and Blue Matter" by John Scoofield is Sick!! I think the key with him is not just his taste but his tone, he never sounds muddy, and always sounds punchy. Big Fat pockets and the great ability to drive and push the beat without sounding rushed. Another one to check out is "Live in America" Steely Dan with Tom Barney I saw this tour, one of my best musical memories!!
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have that cd. Terrific playing all around. I hated his solo, however! Probably one of the very few that sucked for him! He's a great player though!!
  12. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    had a chance to do a couple of gig's with him a year or so ago,one of the greatest groove's i'v ever felt.we were playing with a singer (who's project's in record company limbo or i would say who it is)and dennis who most of you know doesn't read music came in knowing the music better than anybody including the musical director and the artist.we only did 3 gig's, one of witch was a quick showcase but i was blown away at the deep "happy" pocket he put on everything and after a half a hour he had the band sounding like a band in reh.great guy too!
  13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    You want a definition of heart/soul eh????

It's Dennis Chambers.

That man is simply an unstoppable...grooving force!

He has been Santana's skin pounder for quite some time. Most recently I saw him at Eric Clapton's Crossroad's festival here in Dallas last me when I tell you he was the drummer who was on stage the most!! :p

It was amazing watching Dennis play with John Mclaughlin. Two of the most technical and soulful musicians I have ever heard in my life. If you watch those two play and don't respect them you need to question your thoughts on music.

And the Crossroads DVD is pretty darn good. Not a lot of bass in the final mix but there's enough amazing drum/guitar work to keep you busy/guessing for some time.