Dennis Chambers "Outbreak" - a chance to hear several great bass players / funk/jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So I just picked up this album and it has some great grooves and Will Lee, Gary Willis, Matt Garrison and Rodney "Skeet" Curtis (Parliament Funkadelic) on bass.

Could you want any more? ;)

Not to mention John Scofield on guitar and the Brecker Brothers!

I know it might not be to everyone's taste - but if you want to check out some grooves in the Jazz/Funk vein with some of the best(funkiest) bass players on the planet, then this has to be a good recommendation - the drumming's not bad either! ;)
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How many LBs did that set you back, Bruce?
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Eh? I know this must be some kind of joke or play on words, but I have read through a few tiimes and just don't get it! :confused:
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LBs = pounds. JimK's keyboard probably doesn't have the £ symbol on it.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've seen Dennis play so many times i feel like i know him. He used to play with a guitarist named Carl Filipiak in Baltimore. Used to see them all the time.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I can't remember - I think it was £13, but how does this help Jim anyway - it doesn't seem relevant as it is not going to be the same in the US? :confused:

Is it the case that this hasn't been released in the US?

My copy was released on a German record label, but it was recorded in New York!

7. jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    I myself am a drummer of 9 nine years so I can safely say that Dennis Chambers is one of the greatest drummers to ever live.

He is just plain incredible.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Ah...I just looked on :

...and saw that this album is on their front page at $19.99 - which seems a bit pricey and I presume this means it is only available as an import in the US, at present.

We got it first!! ;)

Sorry Jim!
  9. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I seriously want to hear this album, that's one killer lineup. I checked out the song samples at Audiophile Imports, the title track sounds like a scorcher!
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, thank you, Moley.

I was wondering 'cause when I first heard about this, it was about $35; IMO, that's a little extreme.
    $20 @AI, huh...once the dust settles & I've listened to everything I've bought for myself this Xmas, I'll go for it.
    Check out Eddie Henderson's Sunburst album(w/ Alphonso Johnson).
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

No doubt you know Larry Bright, too...right?
    If not-
    If you like DC, you'll like Larry(a very cool & down-to-Earth cat). I've seen him & Carl Filipiak(who sorta reminds me of a Mike Stern) around these parts.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    *** only live once. I just ordered it.
    The sound sample of "Otay" kicked me in the ass.
    Willis' muted Funk vs. DC's displaced groove. SOLD.
  13. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    larry bright doesn't ring a bell...
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 should. ;)

Anyway, I looked at AMG & they are really confused. They do have a "Larry Bright" entry...sez he was born in Norfolk, VA(my place of birth) blahblah.
    Apparently, there's a guitarist named Larry Bright, too(read the details It's pretty out there).
    AMG, though, has Larry Bright's(the drummer from Baltimore) albums mixed within this guitarist's albums.
    Larry Bright(Baltimore) plays on Filipiak's albums(as does Chambers). He also plays with Gary Grainger.

I recall one clinic I attended & someone asked Bright the obligatory question-
    "How much do you practice each day"?
    Bright replied "8 hours per day".

Maybe that's why you haven't seen him?
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    From this point forward, I'm no longer looking at any thread or post in RECORDINGS by JimK or Bruce. You both are costing me thousands of dollars by the day.
  16. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i saw dennis chambers on the tube a couple months back...and the host of the show said something about "that amazing drummer guy." it was funny to see the look that dennis gave him from over the host's shoulder...and every time thereafter (following a commercial break) when referring to the "amazing drummer guy" he said simply Mr. Chambers. it was great. i wonder what size boot was inserted into this guy's posterior. :D outbreak is a great album, by the way...
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - there's a lot going on for rhythm section players to be interested in. I'm not sure how anybody else would view this album, but bass players and drummers will find loads of grooves to get your teeth into!! ;)
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Larry was on a couple of CD projects I worked one, one cut on each one in a trio setting with Avon Lucas on bass and Elliott Levine on keys. I have one of his solo projects on CD.

Carl is an excellent local guitarist.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's cool.
    I have 2 of Bright's solo projects...the 2nd one has Gambale on guitar & Grainger on bass. I do think LB is a both a happenin' player & clinician.