Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dennis dunaway

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Nov 11, 2000.

1. the bass line in billion dollar babies made me pick up the bass

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like the SCHOOL'S OUT album...the whole damn thing.
    "School's Out" has a cool line; the bridge is pretty happenin'("...no more pencils, no more books").
    "Blue Turk"-kinda/sorta "jazzy".
    "Gutter Cat vs The Jets"-Very cool opening with double stops; same goes for the tune's main theme with the open "D" drone(Dunaway also used this drone-effect in "Dead Babies").

Pretty cool player, considering(sshhhhh...don't tell anyone I said that!). :D

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Dennis Dunaway is one my favorites. He was one of the first bassists to walk around the root chord, and compliment the rhythm guitar, rather than just follow it. I think I like what he did on the School's Out lp best. Listen to "Blue Turk" or "Gutter Cat vs. The Jets".

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Long Way To Go"(from LOVE IT TO DEATH)is another rockin' tune with a "jazzy" walk thrown in.
    MUSCLE OF LOVE had some nice playin', too.

Didn't this rhythm section put a record out AFTER Alice went solo?
    Is it weird that these guys never really did anything after Alice Cooper? Or did they merely retire 'cause they had made mucho $$$?

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    After Alice went solo, the entire band became The Billion Dollar Babies, and released at least one record. It's pretty good. Also, you can find Neal Smith and Dennis Dunaway as the rhythm section on much of Buck Dharma's solo release.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Neal Smith...the thing I remember most about him is his sister, Cindy. Wasn't she "the tooth" in the live/stage version of "Unfinished Suite"? Man, she had some killer legs! :D

gw-
    Do you have either of those records?

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    JimK - got both. That's how I knew about them!

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I also think that Dennis Dunnaway was a great bass player. I even send a E-mail to bass-player magasine asking them to talk about him. They never answered me back.... ):

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In 1972, Dennis Dunaway made me buy an Acoustic 360. No joke.