Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dennis Franchione - New Texas A&M head coach

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 5, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe I'm the only on following this story because it involves my alma mater...

All I can say is it's about time. RC Slocum was a good, dedicated guy but he had to go. He rarely won the big games and U. of Texas was getting most of the good recruits. Hopefully Franchione can restore "the glory days." Don't know what 'Bama is gonna do now. Maybe they'll hire RC. :)

They should be making the official announcement about Franchione Friday morning. So if anyone else is following this what do you think? Should they have fired RC? Do you think Fran made a good decision in going to A&M and can he turn the program around like he did at New Mexico and Bama?

brad cook

2. Dig:
    Your right on the money.
    RC is a stand up guy, a real approachable down-to-earth person, and is one of the top 4 winningest active coaches in the US. BUT he has not done what it take in the past 4 yrs, and honestly game day was always a crap shoot. I'm sorry to see him go, but A&M need to reinvigorate the football program. Franchione seemed like a great choice, we'll see what he can do. Like RC, I love these coaches contract. RC had 2 yrs left on his contract(payout time) and since UM or Bama had offer Franchione 15mil for 10yr A&M had to top this (rumor is 22 mil). He'll make more than the Dallas Cowboy head coach.
    RC should be in line for Baylor-if he wants it.
    Did i mention i dated RC sister for a few yrs. great gal
    later
    frank

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wonder if Coach Fran can turn the Aggies around?

4. One question: Why did he leave a CONSIDERABLY better team to coach A&M???

I know 'Bama has NCAA sanctions, but jeez...

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    As a 'Bama fan, I just hate it for all those kids he persuaded to stick it out with him when they could have transferred to another team and been bowl-eligible. From what I heard, none of his players chose to transfer after hearing the verdict on the sanctions before the year began. That does say something about the loyalty he inspires in his team, but then HE decides to split; seems a litle hypocritical to me.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well the team was only better with him.

However, the reasons I've heard are twofold. One is that word has it that the new contract Bama wanted him to sign had a "poison pill" clause saying that if he decided to step out of his contract early that he wouldn't be able to coach anywhere for a set amount of years. Also the NCAA sanctions you mentioned are a pretty big deal...especially since Bama has recently been called BACK to the table for possibly more sanctions for what I've heard. As a coach that has come into this and had nothing to do with it, that's a real headache and a big obstacle to recruiting.

Other factors: I think Fran likes Texas. He lived here for a number of years coaching at SWT and TCU, Overall there's no better state for football and recruiting. Also, there are very few places in the world that rival the football atmosphere at Texas A&M. If you haven't ever been to a game you may think this statement is BS but if you went to a game (and a midnight yell the night before any game) then you would know exactly what I mean. Kyle field is an amazing place to play for the hometeam and hell for the visitor. A huge advantage in coaching. 83,000 rabid fans wearing maroon shirts that scream on demand (lead by 5 yell leaders and it's got to be one of the loudest, if not THE loudest stadiums in football), get virtually quiet anytime the Ags have the ball, yell out complex chants in unison, only sit down while the visiting band is playing, every student sings and knows the words of the school song and fight song by heart, etc... football and tradition are practically religion at A&M. That all might sound really silly but it seriously does create a larger than normal home field advantage.

All of the above factors pale in comparison to the main reason Fran came though...MONEY! :eek:

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think the NCAA should institute a rule that allows students to transfer to another school and be immediately eligible if the coach quits his contract early to take another job or gets fired. That would be fair IMO.

brad cook

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There are QUITE a few people here in Alabama who believe that those new sanctions brought against 'Bama could mean the expulsion of the football program. Why would the coach want to stay around if he was going to be out of a job, anyways? It is true that none of his players transferred to schools with a chance at a bowl game, but the question is are they going to leave now? Carrying the team will be up to the returning underclass men, but a few friends up in Tuscaloosa have told me that some of them are talking of leaving, and the incoming freshmen don't look too promising. And how many of those freshmen will stick with UA now that Fran's gone AND more penalties await? They'll go for the schools that can give them scholorships and give them a shot at winning some big games.

Even some Auburn fans are worried around here!