Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dennis Miller.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jan 27, 2006.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Does anyone feel the same way as me about this guy?

I don’t know... he is one of those folks who tried to sound very smart by using big words but really most of the stuff he says are pretty dumb and not really funny:/ And some stuff he says hurt my brain to the point of brain damage. Anyone else feels that way? Or is it just me?

I wont say everything he says is dumb... few things are not bad (still not funny though).

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, I don't want to get into a rant here, but even though DM was funny in the day, calling him a comedian nowadays is a bit like defenestrating a triceratops and claiming you're discarding a little old garbage.

Fixed your title for you.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like him.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    He's certainly as funny as anyone else doing political commentary mixed in with humor. At least I don't need no doze to hear his routine like Franken.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I really liked him because he attacked everyone equally, then when he got his show on CNN, he became a rightwing lapdog. That ruined it for me. It was cool when everyone is fair game.

6. Dennis Miller: "I became a Republican after 9/11".. YAWN.
    He's been getting progressively unfunny since the 80's, while still being as intellectually self-impressed as ever. Neat trick.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

jon stewart?

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've never heard Stewart do stand-up, his show is very funny. But he has a lot of props, video clips, pictures, interviews, etc. Thats different then standing alone on a stage and doing a stand-up routine. The other guy that is extremely funny at this is Bill Maher.

9. I like Miller. I don't think he's a lapdog, he just has his own opinions.
    We right wingers need at least ONE comedian on our side.:smug:

10. +1

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Bah! Why can't I be in he TPA so you and I can really argue about this!?!?

I watched his new HBO standup routine the other day and loved it. I think the guy is hilarious.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    He does use some big words (properly - yay!) and makes some delightfully obscure references. I used to think he was the funniest guy around. I loved it when he was doing football, so of course they took him off. But these days he's a little right wing for my tastes. Still worth listening to, IMHO.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I saw John Stewart do his standup routine in the summer of 2000. I also saw him do a TV (I think it might've aired on MTV) about five years earlier, and his act was exactly the same. So, if you want to see his stand up act, check to see if MTV has some of his old stand up on tape or DVD, I'd bet it still hasn't changed.

IMO, Dennis Miller is infinitely funnier (still is) than Stewart.

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    He's okay. I haven't ever really made it a point to catch any of his standup or get into the things he's done because the bits I've seen of him are not very remarkable. He just isn't the kind of guy you feel that strongly about like Eddie Izzard or Bill Hicks, or even Mitch Hedburg.

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Lisa: Ha, only one person in a million would find that funny!
    Professor John Frink: Yes, we call that the "Dennis Miller Ratio."

16. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    This is pretty much the same way I feel. I was a fan of his HBO show, but when he got on CNN he seemed a lot more biased.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It was a pretty abrupt change too. Suddenly he had no problems with Bush. None. Pretty disingenuous. 9/11 apparently scared the crap out of him.

I liked Miller prior to 9/11, everyone was fair game. That's but a distant memory.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You have several... Rush, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Michael Graham, POTUS, etc.

;)

19. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Couldn't have said that better myself.

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sorry, but comedians (and Mr. Miller is a fine example), simply cease to be funny when they become right wingers.

You see...right wingers aren't as much fun to hang out with - they don't party 'till late, don't have as much sex, generally have really odd and dorky hair, far crappier record collections, and oh yeah; AREN'T FUNNY.