Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69, Magnum Etc.) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GarricS, Jun 20, 2022.

1. GarricS

GarricS

Jun 20, 2022
    Hi all,

I'm new here (have lurked for years though) but from the searching I've done it doesn't look like there has been much attention given to the tremendous bass playing of Pink Cream 69's Dennis Ward. He's perhaps most known nowadays for his Youtube channel where he reacts to and (more importantly) breaks down various production methods used for classic albums, but he is also a tremendous bassist and I wanted to highlight some standout performances of his for those who are unfamiliar with him.

- Really great bottom end throughout this, love the fills and the tone.

- A more melodic piece including a nice solo section and more of a fretless feel (not sure if it's actually fretless though).

- A very Van Halen-inspired track with some Sheehan level fast plucking fills and a cool J pickup type of tone.

- Figured I'd get a more modern track in here. More of a laid-back pocket based performance here, but what a pocket it is!

I suspect some of why Ward's so overlooked is that Pink Cream 69 is a pretty stupid band name and their early glam associations don't tend to lend them well to bass analysis, but really they're just a great melodic hard rock band with some good twists here and there, the bass being one of them. Are there any other fans of Ward's playing on here or any general thoughts on his work?