Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DENON : home theater

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 14, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi!
    im buiding a home theater and the reciver im getting is the DENON AVR 3805 (5.1)

i wonder what cables i nned to connet the denon to the 6 speakers, to the DVD payer, and to the TV.

thancks for the info!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nice receiver! You're going to love having a good surround setup!

You will need standard speaker cable to connect to the speakers. I recommend 14 gauge or lower. For the video feed from the DVD player and to the TV from the receiver I recommend component video cable. This will give you a very sharp picture. It's a cable that has three connectors just for the video and it looks something like this:

[​IMG]

Don't confuse it with another kind of cable that is made that has two RCA ends for sound and one for video. Those are often red, white and yellow on the ends and they are not the same thing.

For audio look at your DVD player and find out what kind of output it has. It probably has optical out, digital coaxial out or both. Either one of those will give you the digital 5.1 feed. Don't let anyone tell you that optical is somehow superior to digital coaxial. They both deliver the digital info to the receiver equally as well and there is no advantage to optical over digital coaxial.

For the speaker connectors - what kind of speakers do you have? If the connectors on the back are five way binding posts that looks something like this:

[​IMG]

then you can just wrap the raw speaker wire around the posts and then screw the caps down onto it. However, it's easier to attach banana clips to the end of the speaker wire. Those look something like these on the left:

[​IMG]

You can plug them right into the ends of the binding posts.

Don't waste your money on Monster Cables. You can buy cheaper quality cables that will work just as well for less. Check out www.partsexpress.com for cables. I bought my 14gauge speaker wire that I ran through my walls from Home Depot for a pretty good price.

Have you given much thought to speaker placement? If you haven't here's a good resource:
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html#placement

brad cook

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    You don't mention what you will be using for speakers.

If you will be using high-end speakers, and you have decent hearing, you will definitely notice a difference in sound quality with cheaper speaker wire. Why spend the dough on an excellent receiver and good speakers, and then connect it all with radioshack type cables - if you had a fodera bass and $5000 bass rig, would you use a $4 radioshack cable to plug in you bass?

Good speaker wire is not cheap, but you will reap the benefit in the details you would otherwise be missing. I recommend a cable that has two sets of red and black wires. One wire pair is engineered to make the most of the high end, the other pair maximizes the low frequencies. Even if your speakers have just a single set of posts to connect to, you will hear the difference (unless you've blown your ears with too much sound volume at band practice.) If you purchase speakers with two sets of posts, they will usually have a plate connecting the two sets - remove this and then connect each set of red/black wire accordingly. On the amp end, twist the reds wires together and connect the twisted pair to the amp post. Do the same for the black pair. Be sure to identify the arrow direction on the outer cable, and point it towards the speakers.

For the center console and L/R fronts, I recently spent +/- $300 to rewire. The difference in sound detail was enormous - similar to restringing a bass that had three year old roundwounds. Sure the bass sounded like a bass before - but now it has all the harmonic details that slowly faded as the strings aged.

R

5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW I completely disagree with Rodent's advice regarding speaker wire. Any decent 14G wire will work perfectly. Go to www.partsexpress.com and check out their Sound King wire. It's all you'll ever need. Home Depot sells 12G in bulk also, it's more than adequate for home theater installations.

Money spent on high end cable is money thrown away. The differences as described above are psychoacoustic and "biwiring" (what he describes as two sets of cables per connection) has no effect at all on sound. There's no mystery to electrical signal propagation.

Just another perspective.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Philbiker -

If you are using relatively inexpensive gear, then you are correct. If you are using a $2000 speaker you are absolutely 100% incorrect.

Again - I pose that you must

a) have decent hearing capabilities
    b) be able to perceive details within a mix
    c) have a desire to reap the reward of the expense

With your logic, there is zero difference between a GC $10 bass cable of 3 meters and a high end cable of similar length. I have seen the spectrum analysis of the bass cables - believe me there is a difference.

You are welcome to your opinion on this - even if your opinion is technically incorrect for audiophile quality home theater gear applications.

R

7. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hee hee hee. You're funny Rodent.

BTW I was an Admin on Home Theater Forum for a few years and have plenty of experience in the area.

How many double-blind tests have you done with your expensive speaker cable?
    I would counter-pose that you

a) Have a basic understanding of the electrical properties of cables and wires.
    b) Understand the role of the mind in the entire experience.
    Because there is zero difference between those cables if they are both within spec. Now, one may be more heavy duty and gig-worthy than the other, that could be important.
    Either one of the cables was terribly out of spec (very common with very expensive high end cables), or one was broken, or the differences visible in the spectrum analysis did not affect the specific bandwidth being used within the spec of the cables.

8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    The denon manual does a good job of showing you how to setup your system.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ooh, cable fight.

Can't wait 'til skin effect comes up.

:bag:

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    So... what kind of speakers will be used? Powered sub?

Don't scrimp on the center channel. Most important HT speaker IME IMO.

I'm running my typical "budget" system in one room (stuff I found at Goodwill and pawnshops,etc., cheap):

Yamaha 6.1 receiver- replaced my Harman Kardon.

Infinity Composition Overture mains (funky "bookshelf" sized, stand mounted speakers with side-mounted 8" subs. Built-in 100w amps. Just picked these up for $150 for the pair. Replaced a pair of Cantons that replaced some Celestion SL-6's that replaced... :D

:hyper:

Polk CS400i center channel. Another pawnshop steal at $125 IIRC.

Two Polk PSW 250 powered subs. These work fine for HT.

JBL 6.5 in-wall surrounds.

Hard to believe but this along with a 57" HD Panasonic projection TV (purchased new for $1200 last year), Toshiba Tivo/progressive scan DVD... total including Sony CD player, just under $2K.

Not bad... for the money;)

BTW if you have the room, Staples and Office Depot are blowing out Epson Powerlite S1+ HD capable projectors for under $500 after discounts and rebates. Obviously not a high-end projector but for the money it's a hell of a bargain IMO.

BTW II... my wife found a Sony Tivo unit at Goodwill yesterday, excellent condition, with lifetime service, for $20.

:hyper:

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Silly Brad. There's no such thing as this "skin effect" you speak of.

Now cable directionality, there's a valid concern.

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hee hee hee Brad I notice you didn't list your choice of cables... :)

For the record I used to be a cable "believer" myself.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Of course it is. Everyone knows electricity flows from left to right.

Duh.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's because they don't matter.

Just kidding. I use good quality (IMO) interconnect cables and speaker wire. By the same token, I doubt I'll buy any 2 ga. speaker wire or $500 AC cables anytime soon.

I've found deals on cables too.

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Is there any site for Home A/V that is like Talkbass??? I would really like to know where my system rates among others.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Rumzini,

www.hometheaterforum.com is one at which I've spent some time. Some of the other popular ones are escaping me at the moment.

brad cook

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hey thanks...I'll check'em out.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Loads of them... and you can easily blow as much $$$ with the info you gain there as here;)

...or not.