Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dent? Buckle? Gone? Coming Back?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Giacomo, Aug 19, 2004.

1. I put on a new set of Weichs for the first time about a month ago, and vowed to stop thinking about strings and just play. I have been messing with the bridge a lot moving the action up and down, "experimenting" to find the best position for tone and playability.(It's about 50% lower than when I had had the Ultralights.) Anyway, almost every day, tuning down, tuning up, and yes, I put a lot of graphite on the nut and bridge slots. The strings at the slots look fine, better than the OBLI's ever did. A couple of days ago, on the A string between C# and D, I discovered a small dent that was sharp to the touch but not so that it cut. Maybe another description could have been a crinkle, and it appeared to be only on the front side of the strings. Damn, bad luck, they don't make em like they used to. And the A played fine.

This morning, I noodled with the bridge just a little, and then practiced for 30 mins. or so. As I was putting my bass on it's stand, I looked for the dent....and it was gone? Yep, went back to check 3 times and it's gone.Huh?

I guess I didn't have to tell such a long-winded story, but I could have asked ...has anyone experienced this? is it because of the frequent loosening and tightening I've been doing? And...will it come back some day?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    One of my spiro starks has a little dent in it on the A string, curiously just about in the same spot. They've been on close to two years now, and it's never been a problem. I'd say that if it sounds good, it is good.

3. Thanks for the reply, Chris. I hope they last two years.