Dented cone..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I´m about to sell my old Yorkville 400W amplifier. It has got a 15" Celestion speaker, and somehow a couple of years ago, the cone got into a wee bit accident and was dented.

At the time there was no grill on the amp but there is now.

The question is, since I´m about to sell it, is there any way to correct this dent in the cone? It´s purely a cosmetic thing and the dent doesn´t affect the sound in any way, but I think I may have a better chance of selling it if the dent is fixed.

2. When you say cone, do you mean Dust cap in the middle of the speaker cone? If that be the case here is what I did a few years ago to a JBL that had a metal dustcap that got dented. I took a piece of scotch tape and made a loop with it. (sticky side out). I stuck it to the dented cap and pulled the dents out. It looks like new again.
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, that would be the one!

Thanks a bunch for the advice! :)
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got an Eminence Kappa Pro 10" with a
    "dented" dust cover, my kid leaned on it as I was installing the speaker. The dustcover is quite thick and sturdy, and sticky tape won't pull it back.

I tried hooking up a shop-vac to "suck" it back into conformity, but it wouldn't get a good seal given its dented shape. Any other suggestions, short of having a new dust cover replacement? (Don't want to do this as they never really match the other three speakers).
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Have you tried really sticky tape, like Duct Tape? I know I'm redneck, but it really does fix alot of problems. :)
  6. Good tip with the adhesive tape.

I once had an old car stereo speaker with a dented dustcap, and the adhesive tape wouldn’t do the trick.

Another ‘dent removal’ technique:
    Take a small pin, used for sewing, and bend it 90 degrees. Poke a tiny hole in the center of the dent (in the cone’s dustcap) with the pin. Push the pin into the hole, position the bent pin so it is like a ‘finger’ that you can use to gently pull the dent out.

If the Eminence driver’s dustcap material is stubborn, you may want to use something slightly larger like a paper clip wire.

The tradeoff is the tiny hole that is left in your dustcap (although most would prefer this to a big ugly dent), and the risk that the dustcap may tear…. Be careful!

Good luck.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Duct tape and WD-40 are the two essential tools for engineers. You can fix anything with those two things. :D
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Blimp's idea works (the bent pin). I used it on an old JBL 15 that I just put back into service after years of lying in the garage doing nothing. Fixed the problem and the speaker sounds as good as ever.

Has anyone tried that acoustic cloth that attaches to the inside of your grill. It apparently lets all the sound through, keeps liquid spills (ie beer) out, but it also makes dented dust caps invisible coz you can't see the speaker.