dented Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jun 19, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Recently at a show my singer, after screaming something in the mic, decided to knock it over with his guitar. The head of the mic chipped the side of my bass pretty bad in a couple of places as it fell.

The body of my bass is black so I colored the chipped area in with a black Sharpie. It looks OK but I was wondering if I should try to use a light sandpaper and smooth it out a bit. I don't want it to chip any more.

Any advise?
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I left the dings on my bass alone, but then again my dings were mainly on the neck, due to playing some gig where there wasn't a guitar stand so I just laid it standing (big mistake) and it fell, but now I bring my own stand to everything.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Battle scard give character. I'd leave 'em as is. :)
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Personally, I'd beat the crap out of the singer!

5. The first couple of dings and dents always hurt the most, but then you get used to them. That's why I love my Fenders with solid finishes - they're tough and still look cool when slightly beaten up.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm with Chuck!.....I'd ding & dent the singer;)
  7. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    battle scars are good....I have a good one on my bass....good big chunk out of it.

kick your singer's ass.

"...yeah, this one is from when my singer knocked over the mic stand and hit it......and this one here is from when I bashed him over the head with it....."
  8. I assumed he'd already done that!

But dings do give it that special "loved" look
  9. If you want to keep the area that's damaged from spreading, color it in and then put super glue in the spot and it matches the factory clear perfectly. An aurthorized Fender repairman told me to do this on a Tele I had. The area I fixed was about the size of a golf ball and you can't even tell it was ever damaged. Start off with the smallest area first and slowly apply the super glue. It's pretty easy to judge and dried smooth enough that I didn't need to sand it.
  10. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Well, if you can't live with it deffinatly get it fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.

Personally I think Fenders are probably the only instruments out there there that look as good dinged up as they do brand new (well, maybe a lil' better dinged up. Gives it that well-loved look).
  11. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I though it went without saying that I bashed my singer's face in after the show. He can still sing but he talks with a slur.

I am cool with it having a ding or four for character but my main concern was it just continuing to chip away. I may try some super glue.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Like Nino said, battle scars build character.;)
  13. black finger nail polish is what i use
  14. chip it more! more!

more more!

dent it more!

:eek: :eek:
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy used basses, if they come with the dings, you don't get hurt doing them yourself :)
  16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Can you take a picture of the chip?? How big is it? I have used automotive touch up paint. Just start filling the hole with light coats until it is even with the bass surface. On very small dents you can hold the spot over steam from a tea pot and sometimes it will cause the wood to swell back to normal. You might ask this question in the luthiers corner?
  17. Absolutely true. Unless your bass is a 4000$ made up with exotic woods! :eek:
  18. LoL, that singer better of gotten bitch slapped for that one! How retarted does one have to be to knock over a mic stand into a ****ing bass player? It's like hatred towards us...GO FOR THE GUITARIST NEXT TIME!
  19. Hmm, I'm gotta start a thread of battle scared basses, mine don't have any, but damn it they will in a year or two,
  20. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. After playing this weekend, you guys have me talked into loving my battle scars. I'm ok now.

I guess it's a little like the first time your kid gets hurt. By the time they're 5 or 6 daily cuts and bruises are the norm.