Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dented paint. Repair-able?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by george_r, Jan 8, 2006.

1. george_r

george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    Hey. I accidentally put a big scratch into my MM SUB bass.

I was setting up speakers on a shelve in my room. I had my Ipod in my pocket and it was connected to the speakers. I hoped down from my bed and the speakers came down with me. My bass was on my bed also, and one of the speakers fell onto it, resulting in this.

(Dime is for size reference)
    [​IMG]

I'm going to take it to a repair shop, but do you think it will look close to new? (The MM has a rough paint job)

Here's a before photo.
    [​IMG]

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO you're going to have a very hard time matching that paint because of the texture. Chalk it up to mojo and get on with it ;)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man up, sh*t happens.

4. george_r

george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    That paint job looks just like the ones I apply with Rustoleum Black Textured paint - hmmmm... I'd be willing to bet that if it bothered you that much, it could be filled, then the entire body given a couple of coats of the afore-mentioned textured paint - then, it would look like new again... If you were in my area, I could probably help you out - but it really wouldn't be all that hard...

- georgestrings

6. george_r

george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    It's not really bothering me right now. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll definitally keep it as an option if I ever want to get my MM refurbished.

7. hamerexplorer

hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    ...this is wat id do... id fill it with some.....bondo?... or something to fill cracks....cover around with tape and paper ...then get some of that paint and just paint that little crack.... ... or slap a sticker on there

8. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    you could try this method: take a wet face cloth and put on the damaged area. allow the area to get damp. now take an iron set on a medium heat and place it on the face cloth. move it around the damaged area for a minute or so. repeat as necessary. if your nervous about the heat, use shorter time intervals. the dampness & heat will raise the dented area. I've done this on a bass that I'm refinishing and it worked quite well. mine was stripped of finish at the time so I had the convenience of being able to sand it afterwards. I was able to get rid of several dings by this method. on the other hand, if it doesn't really bother you the way it is, you're already set. good luck!

'teen

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The hot iron trick works with plain wood, but it will discolor paint pretty badly. Don't do it.

Most amateur attempts to fix this will draw MORE attention to the blemish. If you're not willing to pay to have it professionally corrected, I'd leave it as-is.

Basses when used get dinged - its nature. Only collectors pieces are flawless. Looks like that bass is one that is played. Go play it, and don't stress about the scratches, there will be more if you keep playing it.

10. george_r

george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    I found a link to the hot iron method while searching. Seems like it's not an option if it will discolor the paint.

I definitaly won't try to fix it on my own. If anything, I'll take it to a repair shop.