Dented speaker cone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 5, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good speaker cone:

Dented speaker cone:

Is this a problem for the cab? If not, it's driving me nuts, is there any way I can pull the dent out without ruining the speaker?
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004

First, promise not to laugh.

Second, take the grill off.

Third, put your mouth around the center cap and form a seal.

Fourth, inhale.

If your mouth can't fit around it, form a funnel and try again. If you can't inhale hard enough, form a funnel that will fit a vacuum cleaner hose.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    May not hurt the speaker, but I fear it will hurt my confidence. :)

Anyway, is it bad to leave it like this for a while?
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    No, that's just the dustcap.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Dustcap denting is OK unless you can hear distortion sounds right now. If you don't, its just a visual problem.

If you want to pop it back out, you can do two things. One is try a shopvac hose on it, see if you can get a seal and suck it back out. If not, take a large, thick paperclip, bend it into a hook, poke a tiny hole in the center of the dustcap with it, and use the thick paperclip to pull it back out into shape. I've done this before, it works well, and the tiny hole from the paperclip wire isn't viewable with the grill back on unless you really look for it and already know its there.

Best of luck.
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the driver has a vented polepiece you can use a hairdryer blower (no heat) to push air through it to pop the dustcover back out.
  8. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Shopvac or vacuum cleaner attachment. Just suck it back out. Hold the attachent close to the cap, but don't touch it.

Most vacuum cleaners will be strong enough to pull the cone out from a short distance away.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i want pics of you kissing the speaker to suck the dent out - :D

but seriously, if you do go the route of poking a small hole in the dustcap and pulling the dent out with somethign like a paperclip, seal the hole with soemthing like nail polish. The dustcap keeps dust out of the voice coil (imagine a dustcap keeping dust out! :p ) so you want it to keep doing that. You get some highs off of the dustcap as well, but it's primarily there for protection.