Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Denver DB shops and clubs to visit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mburd, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I'll be in Denver visiting my son Feb 22-27. Never been there, so
    anyone know of some cool shops and venues to suggest?
    thanks--

2. Well as far as bass shops the only actual shop really is Kolacny Music. They have decent basses and right now they have an nice Wilfer in there. It's 1900 S. Broadway I think if you want to check it out. As far as clubs goes Dazzle is kind of the main one and they have some pretty good people coming through there. Kenny Walker Sextet and the 9th and Lincoln Orchestra are really good and the Darren Kramer Electric Quartet is one BAD A$$ band. They have a website, dazzlejazz.com and that'll give you more. Those are probably your best bet, there is more if you want but that is a good start.

3. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    Thanks, ImAGoodDuck..just the sort of info I was after.
    Dazzle looks like a hip venue..
    Half the fun of going to a new town is discovering it's little jewels.
    My son works at Braun's near the Pepsi Center, so I hope to be right in the thick of it.

Now.. if I could only get that Henry John Deutschendorf Jr song outta my head...

4. El Chapultepec is the Jazz club in Denver. I was a little ticked off, though, when I found out that the bands there are getting paid about the same as 25 years ago.:mad:

5. Yea the Pec is THE club but it is such a dive you won't want to go into there. Don't get me wrong, the music there is usually really good but most of the bands that play the Pec play Dazzle and they are a really nice place unlike the Pec. The stage is so small you won't even know what to do and it's so small that it blows out your ears. Yea it is a bummer though they do pay the same, $50.

6. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I've got to chime in and just say that the guys at Kolacny's really took care of me a few weeks ago. I needed to rent a bass in Denver for a week and figured I'd get some CCB. I was pleasantly surprised when they handed me a 68 Juzek, and only charged me $80 for the week, for a carved bass. That Wilfer they have in there is sweeeeeet too. Have fun in Denver.

7. They ARE some of the nicest people to deal with. Thats where I usually take my bass to when I need some work done and they always do a good job at a REALLY fare price.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Is it possible to check out Paul Warburton's old partner in crime, Bob Ross? Boy those basses are pretty.

http://www.rossdoublebass.com/

Maybe you should give him a call and try out one of those copies of Paul's Bohmann. *droool*

9. Yea I'm sure it's possible. He is the guy who does all of my major work or if I'm in a spot. AMAZING luthier and a super nice guy. He makes basses that you can remove the side panel of the C-bout. I don't know if they are up on his site but you can completely take them out and it blows my mind lol. Give him a call too, he's always willing to show you his basses and let you play um and what not.

10. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    well then..we had some mountaineering adventures planned..but maybe I should pray for rain so I won't feel so bad about being in bass shops and jazz clubs for the week..
    Thanks to all for the great suggestions!
    -Mike