Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Denver, Yellowstone & Montana...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    My wife & I are talking-up our vacation for 2006. We're going to take a month off, and the tentative plan goes something like this:

* Fly into Dallas-Fort Worth from Honolulu to visit the family for a week...

* Fly up to Denver to visit rich brother, his wife and the horses they raise on their ranch south of Denver. We've never been there since they bought this place almost 10 years ago... figure on hanging with them for maybe a week or 10 days...

* Now comes the 'fun' part... We've never been to the Great Northwest, either. So, we are thinking about Yellowstone Nat'l Park... renting a car... drive up to Cody, Wyoming... check into a hotel/motel for a couple of days... check-out the Buffalo Bill museum... drive up to Yellowstone (maybe see Yogi and Booboo, and the Ranger)... and then leave Cody for...

* Missoula, Montana... have a good friend who retired... he and his wife have a little 'ranchette' up there... along the way maybe stop by the Little Big Horn where 'ol Custer met his fate...

* Eventually return to Denver, and then fly on back here to Paradise.

At first we thought about doing this around July... but some friends here said that summertime is choke-crowded for places like Yellowstone, due to school being out and most folks taking the kids, etc... So, now we're considering September when the kids are back in school. However, being from Hawaii, we have some concerns about weather... we don't like it too cold... not used to it, and don't own any heavy-duty winter-type apparel, either.

I'd love to read what any of y'all... especially those who are from, or have been to these parts of the good 'ol USA... might have to say about our plans: weather tips, other sights to check-out, dining suggestions, good hotel/motel to stay at in Cody (or anywhere else along the way), warnings, or what to watch out for... :)

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I consider Glacier and/or Waterton Parks as must-sees if you're going to be anywhere near there. But you might easily see snow there by late September, I think. Watch out for bears...seriously!

Whenever friends come out here (a good bit further west) to visit I tell them to stay flexible on plans so they can go where the weather's nice. Wyoming and Montana are both really beautiful states, have fun!

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I spent a few years over near Whitefish, Montana. It can get cold in a hurry up there. September was normally mild though. Considering where you live and the weather you are used to, I can tell you it is going to be cold in Montana in late September.

-Mike

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It will be fall, cooler than your used to, but, do you want to put up with crowds or have to wear a sweater and shoes haven forbid.:)

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah... I think we can leave our slippahs (you folks call 'em zories) at home, and we have a few sweaters and sweatshirts lying around the grass hut... ;)

...and thanks for the replies thus far, guys... most appreciated! :D

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I few years ago, I spent about a week in Glacier Park. That was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Driving along Going to the Sun Road was really something else. It was very beautiful, even though I was scared to death the whole time. There's nothing like driving up a mountain with no guard rail on the side. :rolleyes:

The bears....yeah. When my brother and I went hiking with a guide, I became a little nervous after he told us to "only use force if the bear begins to eat you, not just nibble". Also, being from the southeast, I was tickled pink to be up there in August with 60 degree days and 40 degree nights. Glacier Park is definitely a must-see.

7. Yeah, i've been to Yellowstone a few times, and it's a lot of fun...don't forget to see old faithful!

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Mountain roads with no guard rails?!? :eek: Hmmmmmm :meh:

...however, a dear friend here in Paradise did recommend Glacier Park, so it's looking like this gets added to the agenda... :)

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I've done Yellowstone and it's Fabulous. Can be a little crowded in the summer, but it was manageable. We spent 5 days there. It is freakin' huge. And we had no problem filling those days.

As long as you're in the area, why not swing by Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park? Spent three days there as well.

Don't underestimate the amount of driving. There's a lot of room out there...

10. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Excellent suggestion... and the driving is something I'm looking forward to... I live on an island...

Thanks!

11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    More suggestions: If you like to drive, it's only 8 hrs. from Denver to Rapid City, South Dakota and Mount Rushmore. Then maybe 9 hrs. from there across Wyoming to Cody. That's the triangle we took. Denver, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons, Denver.

Lot's of driving, great scenery. Don't go to Rushmore after Yellowstone, however. Rushmore can whet your appetite for Yellowstone, but would seem somewhat underwhelming after Yellowstone.