Depressedingness after last gig... things gotta chance...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Jul 18, 2005.

1. But what?

Here's the story... we played at a festival this weekend. With the best bands in the alt-rock-sector round here. There was enough space on the stage, i brought my own rig, the mixerman was supossed to do his job well, big amount of Pre-sale tickets and good weather.

So, all the odds pointed to a good gig.

But the gig just wasn't good really. We played well, no major mistakes, and barely any mistakes at all. Musically it was one of our best concerts yet. The crowd just didn't respond at all... just sat there lazily, applauded a little and that's it. I played my ass off and whatnot, and we didn't have any benefit from it.

After the gig ppl said the liked it (yeah.. sure.. :eyebrow: ). the brother of the singer, how played with his band as well that night, said, we don't seem like a "package on stage". We should film ourselfes... what does he mean with that?

The people said, the sound sucked, you could barely hear anything for the first 15 minutes, and our monitor sound was too low in volume generally... is there anything we can do to make it easier for the soundguy to get a good sound? He wasn't a bad one, since the other bands had a good sound, sometimes it was even very good.

How can we build up a fan-base? You gotta know, i live in a area with very few rock-fans.. i mean.. we're having festivals every weekend now, but there are only ever the same ppl. How can we make them like our music, support us (and give us their money?)
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Tell him what you want. If the monitors aren't adequate, let him know. Soundguys can only sense what is good out front, not on stage. That is the band's job.
  3. filming yourself is a great idea. trust me, try it.

listen to peoples criticism, if you take it the right way it can only be constructive.

oh, and did i mention? filming yourself is a great idea.
  4. Okay, but what will i see by filming. I mean... how can i work with what i'll see on tape? What is the "goal" to achieve?
  5. It's called presentation and dynamics.
  6. Just watch the tape.

You may see a bunch of guys standing there like statues hypnotized by their guitar fretboard.

Watch the tape, pretend it isn't you, just some band you came to see. See how you stack up against other bands you've seen.

Things never look the way you think they do... Usually don't sound the way you think also. Be warned...

Then listen to the music critically... sometimes stuff that sounds cool on stage sounds like crap from the audience.

For example, each of you may be putting in really cool fills.... all at the same time, stepping all over each other. Easy to happen when you're concentrating on your part instead of what everyone else is doing also.

The mix or sound quality of the tape may not be great, but it will reveal if the band's tight, tempos are good, tempo's are STEADY, groove is groovin, fills are appropriate, you guys look like you're having fun... or not, not, not, not, not and not.

The tape doesn't lie. Video tape is a rotten bitch with no regard for your feelings.

7. ahhh, couldn't have said it better myself :) and be warned, you probably won't like what you see. the first time i saw myself play was a real eye opener. remember to be subjective, and critique yourself like you're watching someone else play. this is a sure fire way to damage an ego if you're not careful :smug:

all the best,
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

This is what seperates good bands from better bands, and yet, is so horrendously overlooked.
  9. Great advice from everyone.

This past weekend, our gig was going really well and the Gods must have been smiling, because out of the blue, for some reason, we just started to really LOCK in together.

I mean, usually we are pretty tight, we don't tread on each others parts, but our groove this weekend was just so much better than normal.

Wish I woulda filmed that gig! :D
  10. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Yeah, you have to MOVE! Show people your having fun on stage. If your standing there, looking nervous or pissed off cause everything isnt going the way they should, the audience notices. Maby im exaggerating here, but half the experience for the crowd is watching the band, not just listening. So film your gigs and watch it with a critical eye (and ear :p)
  11. But i do bounce around like flea, and the singer does too, not sure about the guitarist... but i made sure we'll have a camera to tape the show next week.
  12. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Another thing in regards to the sound guy and getting good sound. Often they will put everything they have through the monitors but if the stage volume is too loud there's no way they can compete...that's also the case for the FOH sound. If there's a guitar amp that's cranked sometimes they jsut can't get the vocals or anything else above it or to sit with it.

I'm not saying that's the case, but it's something to think about.

MY rule of thumb when going through a PA is always to have my amp just loud enough so I can hear it most of the time and to let the PA do it's job so others can hear it.
  13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Ain't gonna happen, my friend. All you can do is demonstrate to the audience that YOU like your music.

If you build it, they will come.
  14. Just thought i'd ressurect this old thread, maybe some "noobs" might be interested.

Now, 1,5 years later, pretty much every problem is solved. We feel like a unit on stage. There are hardly any cues needed, we just kinda sense what the others are going to do.

People are now coming to our concerts. We're playing in Vienna this saturday, and although there's big competion, there will be quite some poeple showing up. Myspace is helping us a lot more than i though it ever could, and networking with other bands gets it's credits too.

By playing some horrible gigs we learned to be more independent from good stage-sound and i can play now with hearing hardly anthing (though i prefer not to).

The last couple of shows people told us the sound was good.

We started with working out a deal with a Label, and things are going well.
  15. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    never's an old thread and your problems are solved
  16. zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    And I guess sometimes you just need to work through the tough times, get the experience,, get your stuff together, and "break on through to the other side"! Way to go!

Congratulations, and I hope things just get better form here!
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, if this thread proves anything, it's that patience, hard work, and focusing on stagecraft (in addition to "just the music") pay off in the end.
  18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Cool to see it working out for you, cause I don't think I could stand to read another thread about "Depressedingness" ;) :bag: I'll cut you some slack though... I see you're from Europe so there's a chance you might not speak English as your first language. ;)
  19. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Next time you play...actually, the next few gigs...have a friend come and video you. You can then watch it together, like a football team watches a game film. You can critique yourselves, find areas where you need to improve, etc.

As for the sound...make sure you do a good sound check, and have a friend go into the crowd area and listen to you. That way, you have ears where your audience will be, and he will be able to tell you, "I can't hear you,", so you know what to tell the soundman. It doesn't sound the same onstage as in the audience, always.

Good luck!

Cherie :)
  20. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well shoot, I feel like a goober. I didn't read this until after I responded.