Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Depression seems to be coming back.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :bawl:

One of the things that triggers depression is major changes in your life. March 13, I will no longer be a teenager. I'll be 20. Who cares? No big whup. I can't remeber a damn thing. I can't look back on any real accomplishments. I haven't done anything memorable or more importantly "rebellious" and the teenage years were the ones to say, "**** athority, I'm going to live my life how I want to." And then you stop being a teenager and life becomes real. I don't want to go back on depression medicine they don't do much, I don't want to be a drag on everyone in my life.

Maybe I am destined to be Nu-Metal... I can just bitch about it and continue being a ****ty bass player. It's times like this I understand why people drink, "Beer, now there's a temporary solution."

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Technically, your probably already 20, including the 9 months of wombage, so you've already conquered t and seem to be doing fine!

If you think you missed out on your teens, just make up for it in your 20's :D Trying to claw back your teenage years through nostalgia, ie, buying toys and watching cartoons in a vain attempt to re-live your childhood ala michael jackson, minus the fun fair.

3. Depression, despite what some ignorant people will say, isn't necessarily something that is brought on. Much of it is due to slight brain chemical malfunctions.

Depression has NOTHING TO DO with just being a teenager; If you think it does, you are deluding yourself.

If it is severe, you need to get some help. Period. Don't listen to anyone who says you will simply grow out of it. You may not.

Good luck StupidMatt. Just don't get dumber. :D

4. depression is a very serious matter. i know, i have lived with it forever. been on the meds and all. if you need to, go back until you can cope again. as far as not being a rebellious teen and all, hey, congratulate yourself in this day and age. you have no worries then about something coming up and biting you in the butt when they do back ground checks. not all people can say that about their teen years.
    hope you feel better soon, we are here for you. just always remember that. you have people who care and you have friends and family right here.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    But you may do.

6. moley - I specifically said that depression isn't NECESSARILY brought on. It certainly can be.

Being depressed because of one single event is NOT as severe as the brain chemical condition.

Teenage years can be a catalyst for depression. But if you are depressed only from the time you are 13-19, that doesn't qualify in my book. And I've been through it all. Happy times, Sad Times - same depression for me. I am definitely better than I was, but I will always be depressed.

Just my opinion.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've been feeling pretty crummy the past little while as well. The good ole quarter-century is coming up for me, but I don't think that's the reason.

Not to worry Matt, there's plenty of time left for you to do something memorable. Plenty of time. :cool:

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Think you're depressed now? Wait till you turn 30;) ,then forty. That happened to me two years ago. :bawl: Oh well, it happens to all of us. But don't forget you still have your college years to flip off authority. And if you go for a PHD that could be 10 more years:D

9. If you are as much like me as I'm guessing from that post, things aren't going to get any better without help.

I suggest extremely seriously that you see someone.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been kinda bummed, too. After a year back to pursuing music, still no serious prospects for a really satisfying project. I'm burning out and losing my motivation at work, and I'm feeling trapped here due to a number of practical concerns. Money's tight. Whah!

On the other hand, Matt, despite my complaining, I'd say that life has gotten steadily better for me over the years, and AFAIC you've got the best years of your life to look forward to.

Good luck dealing, dooood!

:)

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Hey, wait a minute pal! :mad:

I'm going to be (counts on fingers, 1 ... 2 ... breaks out calculator) 35 in the Fall and I'm loving life! See, right now, I actually have the $$ to do all the things I wanted to do as a teen, and no one (other than the wife ;) ) to answer to. Want a red convertible sportscar? No problem! Want that bitching _____ (fill in the blank), again, no problem mon!

That's one of the reasons I took up bass last year. I wanted to play music since it's such a huge part of my life, but I was too busy flipping off authority and doing stupid angst-ridden teen stuff to do anything useful. Now I have the means, the desire, and the focus to do whatever I want to do.

Besides Matt, you are now in that no man's land of "too old" ;) to hang out with teens, and too young to hit the bars! The next year should drive you batty!

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    thrash -

All the more reason to celebrate! Just think, the day after you turn 25, you're closer to 30 than you are to twenty....oh...:(

I've still got my 25th b-day captured on video - man, I'm glad I'm out of that stage in my life...

DD: closer to 40 than to 30....

13. quit complainin' boy, or i'll GIVE you somethin' ta cry about.

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow - I am also 35, married with no kids, and own a red convertible sports car. :eek:

You're right though - the past five years (since getting married) have far and away been the best years of my life. Opportunity, freedom and success seemed to just fall in our laps during that time. That's kinda tapered off now, the current economy and job market aren't helping - but anyway I'm just bummed because I'll actually have to WORK and make some sacrifices in order to find some momentum in our lives again. Not really a whole lot to complain about, all said and done. ;)

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    StupidMatt, maybe you should try going back on your medication. Did you give it awhile to kick in? I've suffered from depression since my teen years (I'm 41 now!), and anti-depression medication has been a lifesaver for me. It doesn't make everything better, but I can at least focus on what needs to be done. The medication takes awhile for it to begin to work, though.

I suffer from the chemical imbalance-type of depression, and I can tell an immediate difference between that and when I am bummed out about an issue or event. When my imbalance shows up, I can't think straight or finish a thought, I'm forgetful, I misinterpret everything. It would probably be a good idea to try to figure out what kind of depression you have; temporary, situational depression or stark-raving crazy like me!!:D

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Relax, Just how many smilie faces does one need to use so people get the light heartedness of a post. I'm glad I'm 42 cuz at 32 I didn't have a $450,000 house. Not bragging but you brought up the money thing. I'd never go back to being in my twenties. These are the happiest times of my life. Beside this thread is to help out Matt.

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Definetly give meds a chance. Also the whole winter blues can be a pretty substantial thing.

hang in there.

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Is there such a thing as "winter blues" in Florida?

Ever since my winter break, I've been a drag; and I don't really know why.

During the last few Fridays, I've been atypically antisocial (unlike my typical antisocial disposition! :meh: ). One Friday, I just crawled into my bed after school and fell asleep for an hour and a half. I stayed in my bed for about three hours, pretending to be asleep. I was fairly catatonic when my parents were trying to communicate. Particularly, when they were trying to know what was wrong.

"Brad, what's the matter?"

silence.

"Brad... what do you want to drink with dinner."

"Water."

I couldn't talk about anything that wasn't mundane, and I wasn't necessarily in control, either.

Anyways, my parents scheduled me with my pediatrician that day; I went last week. She scheduled me for a meeting with a psychologist--who happens to be fairly busy.

I don't really like that concept: It just reinforces anal-retentive behavior. "Sure, you have problems, but make sure to bottle them up until the doctor has room in his schedule."

Hopefully, that'll help. Maybe.

My parents want me on zoloft or prozac or something, too. :bassist:

19. dad?:confused:

20. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    If your anything like me, winter seems to kick me in the ass each and every year (this one especially) , but I'm sure you can drive and I can't, (failing your test 4 times sure puts you in your place, haha,I cant even look at a D.M.V. without a vicious sneer). So just look on the bright side summer, parties, and bikini's:p \\m//life is wonderful\\m//