Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John K., Apr 14, 2003.

1. For the past few weeks or so, I've just felt extremely depressed, or at least, not as happy as I normally am. I just feel so down and that I have nothing.

For those of you who feel down sometimes, how do you deal with it? I've gone out and vented my anger, but now I just feel sad. Help?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I am like that alot...

Sometimes, I just come and vent here, which I shouldn't do, and am sorry for...

But I play Delta Force... watch comedies, turn on the T.V. and have my own little mystery science theatre 3000 dealie...

Or I just sit down and think of really stupid things.

Those seem to work for me...
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Everyones "cure" for depression is different. I personally felt better listening to angry music... people who I didn't necissarily agree with what they were saying, but I agreed with the fact that they were angry and sad... I kinda liked Staind's Dysfunction... Manson too.

I went on meds, they made it worse. I finally convinced myself that I wasn't really sad... there was a point though where I went temporarily insane for no good reason. I went into the bathroom after realizing what hell my depression was causing my family and especially my girlfreind. So I started crying... then I started laughing hysterically... then I started crying and yelling at myself... then I started laughing... then crying and freaking out... this went on for some time... end result... I cut off my hair in a very messy fashion with scissors. Now I'm just slightly Bi-Polar. I don't know how slightly, because I use to be really bad and in contrast I don't feel that bad.

Don't be afraid to try meds. They aren't for everyone, but they do wonders for some. Go to a Dr. and talk to some people. Tell your folks if they don't know.. if they are cool. Counciling also helps people... but if you are like me and are depressed for no reason, I don't think counciling is the answer.
  4. Yeah, I do feel depressed for no reason. It's like I'm sad, but for what? I just am, and now I'm angry about it. And it's just an ever revolving circle. It sucks... a lot.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    can you even be slightly bi-polar...I thought taht by definition you would swing into crazy moods sporadically...hardly seems like a mild condition.

sometimes I worry that I might be bi-polar, because sometimes I am really restless, then really bored and "who cares" all within like 5 minutes...but it's usually only when I'm hanging out with a friend of mine who is bi-polar, makes me kind of adapt to cope with her.

I guess.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't know. I have my days. This is just a personal diagnosis which is total crap. Some days, I'm going nuts then in a heartbeat I'll be down to the ground.

John: You sound to be in the same situation I was in... I just hope thinks work out the best for you... like I said, don't be afraid to try meds.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Maybe I am bi-polar...

I have drastic mood swings...
  8. Maybe I too am bi-polar. I always seem to have these fits of depression and out of control anger every few weeks or months. When I get angry, I just go out and hit the backstop of a baseball field with a bat down the street. It gets rid of my anger a bit, but my depression is still there.

I'll see what I can do as far as medication. I'm in one of those where I just don't want to be around people right now. I just want to be left alone and away from everyone.

This really sucks.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I deal with depression by writing and sleeping. Depressed? I start writing; not about it, I just start/continue a story, poem or novel I'm working on. Or take a nap. Nap's curative powers are highly underrated.

And, this'll get me in trouble, but my friend Mike once said "Whenever I'm feeling down, sick, or just not normal, I go take a big ol' number two. Always makes me feel better."

He was a wise man.
  10. I am just about through my depression. I'm ready to come off my medication in about 2 weeks (after this course if done).

Go and seek help, medical or counselling. These can maybe all help you to work out the source of you depression and maybe help you deal with it.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you - if you need somone to rant/vent/moan at whatever, feel free to PM me!
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm under counseling, and it helped me A LOT!

But take your time finding a good therapist. The first one I went to was bad/not helpful.
    I found my new therapist via a friend who studies psychology, and he knew about her because she does lectures at his uni once in a while.
    It made a HUGE difference, but I also think it's recommended choosing a female therapist (if you're male[, and vice versa?]) - at least it was for me.

Be prepared for some "unpleasant" insights about yourself, and some hard times, but it's worth it!
  12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    whenever im down...

i just listen to some music...

pennywise, social disotrtion, trust company,

13. Music tends to be the key, and running, for me, anyway.

Headbanging, sometimes helps.. And don't be afraid to cry. getting out your tears can work wonders.

Go for a long run, run so far that you have to crawl home, crawl into bed and sleep.. when youw ake up, you'll hopefully feel very fresh and upbeat. Works for me. :)
  14. i just looked at your profile, too.. I see you're around 15 going on 16 - your hormones may have something to do with this, as you may know they get crazy sometimes... :D

Hope your feeling better man! :bassist:
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX sure that's not why you're getting down? I mean, I know if I was listening to those bands, I'd be depressed.

No, really, I like those bands. Really.
    I'm not fooling you, am I?

16. My own way of dealing with everyday's frustrations:

Cure #1: See my sig.

Cure #2: I pick up a bass, sit down in a calm room, and just play whatever comes to mind, unplugged, rather than practicing scales etc., which would just make me scream "I suck" and crack the bass in two.

Cure #3: My favorite. Combine #1 & #2.
  17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey John,

I suffered from this too, in my teen years. Guess what, it doesn't go away, but you can manage it.

Depression is not always 'bipolar' or 'manic depression', it can be 'unipolar' as well. Then the manic side is not apparent, you're either down, or really down. Psychologists often treat this by treating it as a 'behavior' disorder, whereas the thinking in the medical community has tended towards treating it as a chemical imbalance in the
    neurotransmitters in the brain, and using drugs such as Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc., to increase the level of seratonin in the brain. This chemical transmits nerve impulses from one neuron to the next. A reduction in the level of this substance can lead to a constant feeling of depression.
    Alcohol use or abuse exacerbates the situation,
    the initial reaction is euphoric, but in the long term it makes the depression worse.

The trouble most men complain about with the meds is the side effects. The meds take about 2 weeks to increase the level of seratonin and its relatives, but the side effects can include loss of appetite, headache, dry mouth, and sexual dysfunction. Prozac was paticularly noted as having the effect of leaving males unable to achieve or maintain arousal. You should keep those things in mind when evaluating a med program.

There are some positive things here, though. You have now identified the issue you are having - I feel bad, why am I feeling this way? Now you can take some action to resolve or stabilize the issue.
    This is not uncommon. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

First, I would discuss the issue with your doctor.
    Often, people who try medical treatment benefit from it, and often do not have to take it forever,
    a limited treatment can often help.
    Secondly, though counseling does not really treat the underlying physical or psychoactive chemical issues, it can offer you tools to cope with anxiety, and stress which can compound your difficulties. So it does have a lot of benefits to offer in terms of self actualization and relief.

Getting some exercise will help, but alcohol will make it worse, so try to avoid that. Avoid opiates and cannibanoids as well ... [ Yeah, you know what I mean ... ] they will really wrench you later. Paying the bill ain't fun.

Good luck, buddy, hang in there, there are a lot of good people here to talk to if you need talk.

Big O #2
    Finally, my own wavelength !!!
  18. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Whatever you do, don't start taking anti depressants. Sure, I was depressed for years, but the medicine ruined my life. I was so paranoid I couldn't go to school anymore and I had to drop out. My hands would shake all the time and I felt more depressed than I ever had.

I'm sure they must work on some people, but it's just too risky.
  19. DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    I would be extremely careful about listening to such advice. Depression can be a simple, temporary emotional state or a highly complex disease requiring medical treatment such as medication, therapy, or a combination of the two. The causes of depression vary greatly and are not fully understood. Often, professional help is an absolute necessity.

With that in mind, whether to take antidepressants, as with any decision to take any presecription medication, should be an informed decision made by an individual after consulting with a doctor. There are a number of "anti-depressants" available, each with different characteristics and each varying in effectiveness depending often on the individual.

I completely agree that not everyone suffering from depression should be medicated, but for some, medication can work wonders and even be the difference between feeling good and losing all hope. When all hope is lost, some people end up committing suicide. Faced with such a prospect, taking anti-depressants would not seem to be "too risky."

Sorry to get all preachy. This subject hits a little close to home. Hope you feel better.
  20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    get some exercise

i know, it really works