Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Depressive rant...of sorts...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pil, Aug 28, 2005.

1. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I write this with a heavy heart having finally lost my rag and thrown my bass against a wall...neck first :meh:

Why the hell after five friggin years of busting my effing gut practising everyday do i still sound ****e? Ive done it all, done the scales, listened to all kinds of music bought the books did as they said bla bla bla - granted im a bit too stupid to take it all in but i dont just get a thing from it. Apart from the being able to tab out anyone elses bass line - which while being usefull really doesn't help me or my playing or understanding of it at all...

Everything i play bores the balls off me - and no doubt everyone else...i rarely leave the root because when i do it just sounds like a complete mess - but to be honest i rather not be a bass player then be a crap bass player...

Anyway at the beggining i thought i could blag talent and creativity and get there in the end - but it seems you cant if you just haven't got it. And this really pisses me off.

Apologies to anyone reading this but i just wanted to write some incoherant twatery down, and this place seemed the obvious choice...now to apply from that data processing tea making whipping boy position at some thieving bastard solicitors.

ZZZZzzzzzz

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm sorry to hear that.

Who says you sound crap? You do? What do others think of your playing?

Have you considered getting a teacher (did you had one)? Those can do miracles.

Another thing, are you sure bass is your instrument? I played the guitar, but I never got any further than say some pentatonics and your basic chords. I didn't realise why, and I though that it was me, that I didn't had the talent to get somewhere. It felt like there was a glass ceiling over my head that was impossible to breach.

But once I grabbed a bass, I felt ..home. Everything was right. I took off, and never looked back.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. i've been in your boat loads of times.
    i think what might help you is to take a break; a week or two off. Maybe you haven't found your style yet; just relax.. and try and have fun.

even if you're just playing roots... theres nothing *wrong* with that at all. especially if you're venting thru you instrument - in a non destructive manner ;)

and yeah, how do you know what you do is mince?
    if people say so, kill them. sorted. :)

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Sometimes taking time off can help a lot. I recall reading somewhere in Bass Player long ago that Will Lee said he'd take a week off here and there.

Playing other instruments can help too. When I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall, or I just feel uninspired, on bass, I'll go play guitar or keyboards for awhile.

5. It also sounds like you might possibly benefit from a better understanding of the structure of chords. You can't go too wrong hitting the notes in chord.

6. The Jazz or the Ric? :crying:

I find when things are going down, just play through them or take a break. Eventually it will refresh.

7. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Thanks for all the replies...

I took the advice and picked up my guitar - and yeah giving it a break does actually work wonders! And ive managed to write a few songs while i was at it...

About the not going wrong playing notes in the chord...I do but i dunno i guess i put them in the wrong order or something because it goes wrong for me!

Oh, it was the Jazz by the way :bag:

And i didn't get the job ;)

Cheers

8. I would just step back and listen. record yourself and listen to it. Listen to some of your favorite music and influential bassists. Figure out where you want to be as a musician.

I personally think you're probably reading and studying too much. Books are nice and all, but not necessary to being a successful (and most importantly, happy) musician. I personally believe that feeling the music is most important. You may find out that playing bass isn't for you and that's ok

BTW, throw a chair next time, eh?

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you don't have a teacher-i'd say get one, the various bass teachers that i've had have been able to show me things on bass that i never thought i'd be able to grasp/comprehend, yet through their teaching-i can.

Take a week or two off, for me-if i'm not feeling it, i tend to just run scales and do more of a physical bass work out versus doing a mental one. That way i don't let my hands/fingers slip.

Good luck with it man, it'll get better sooner or later.