1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Depth Charge or B:assmaster???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spector29, Aug 30, 2007.

1. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Hi there, my first post, I don't often post on forums just read them.

Anyway I'm wondering on a bass fuzz pedal and I'm stuck between a PE depth charge or a malekko b:assmaster.

I will be playing live shortly in a alternative rock band but I also am a self producing artist, I make industrial/ rock/electronic songs.
    My songs are similar to that of NIN (I don't like to name but it's to help you guys understand) and I experiment a lot with passing different instruments through distortions so I'd run vocals back through or play my guitar or drum tracks back through it.

Anyway I'm using an all original 86' mij fender P-Bass (very nice mind you) and due to the fact I mostly record with a DI in my home studio I've just got a fender bxr100 amp (many years old, probably 1996 or so), the amp will be upgraded very soon if gigging permits.

So what do you think, the depth charge or the assmaster??

Cheers, Matt.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Both are tweaks on Brassmaster circuits. The B:Assmaster uses the mini-switches and a similar layout the the original Maestro.

I haven't had a chance to try a B:Assmaster yet, but my experience with the Blackcat Bass Octave Fuzz (another Brassmaster circuit with the switches and two volumes) was that I prefered the one volume with a blend pot setup of the Depth Charge. The mini-switches on the BOF had a lot of settings that were only useable with guitar as some cut the low end. Not sure if that is the case with the B:Assmaster.

Basically, I'd go with the Depth Charge because it's smaller and I didn't really like having two volume controls. But everyone's opinion is going to differ on this.

3. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    Well I listened to the sound samples of the assmaster and it doesn't sound hugely impressive, it's great but not quite my taste a bit too kinda rattly if you will. It's got so many options tonally as well that it'd seem I'd have a slightly different sound whenever I play with it.

The depth charge saves me a couple of dollars as well but I haven't heard any sound clips yet.

Mind you I live in Australia so it's going to cost around $35 US for insured post. The depth charge is $220.

Anyone have any sound clips of the depth charge?

4. I used to have a Depth Charge back when they were orange and didn't have an LED. I would highly recommend it. I'm also a one volume and blend control fan (over the two volume setup). I know Twiggy uses one with NIN, so it might be exactly what you're going for. You should check out their latest live DVD (Beside You in Time) to get a sense of it in action. Or if you're looking for a mighty fuzz that is useful on a variety of instruments, I would look into the Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos pedal. You can dial in snarling signal dependant harmonic intermodulations and the controls have enough range to get a variety of unique sounds. It's not for everyone but you might get tons of use from it with the type of music you're doing.

5. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  6. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    The wolftone chaos is crazy and I think is a bit too drastic in sound.
    That one soundclip of the depth charge sounds a lot better than the B:assmaster.
    I think the depth charge is the way go.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Studio Electronics as a company is crazy and a bit too drastic. I exchanged some emails with them one time, and they are freaking koo-koo.

8. spector29

spector29

Aug 30, 2007
    I can understand the fact of verstatility but that much is reidiculous. You'd need a bunch of the same pedals with only slightly different settings and you'd have a lot of different effects.
    I mainly just fuzz or distort or overdrive everything.

9. The Chaos isn't that crazy. It's only got three knobs and two switches. Now, the ModMax pedals are a different story. Those things are covered in knobs from top to bottom. They didn't have the ranges on the controls dialed into where I would want them to be. And they were pretty noisy to boot. The Chaos just has Drive and Volume knobs and a control called entropy that dials up the intermodulation like that on the Crowther Prunes & Custard pedal (on the Custard it does the intermodulation a set amount that you can't control). The two switches turn envelope response of the Intermodulation on or off and the second switch focuses the entropy on either the second or third harmonics of the signal you feed it. It's versitile because the drive knob has a lot of usable range and the entropy can cause different effects based on what range you're playing in, what combination the swiches are set on, and the interaction of the drive and entropy knobs. There's no blend knob but I've never needed one as the voicing is about perfect. The low end is right where I want it and I'm pretty fussy. And it basically always sounds like a fuzz, a fuzz that's growling when you dig in, or on guitar a fuzz that's screams or sputters as you change your right hand attack. The Depth Charge is great too though. And a bit simpler to operate if that's what you're going for.

10. Ooh! I want a Wolftone Chaos now!

PS. I want to see your board, it sounds like you have some nice/interesting effects!

11. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    FWIW, I had a Depth Charge a few years ago and returned it because it would clip all of the time. I was much happier with a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz, but...having just acquired an B:assmaster on ebay, I have to say, I think they got it right. Get one and decide for yourself.

PS. I've owned a Bass Brassmaster and sold it ($750) when I got the Black Cat...now that I have the Malekko, I'm especially glad I let the Maestro go.