Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DER FAFNER

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 5, 2002.

1. I am loving the hell out of this EBS Fafner I just bought.

It's so loud that, with the Drive control on 3, the pre-gain on 5, and the master on 3, I was seriously shaking some walls with just my Eden CXM-110.

The clarity is unbelievable. I can't imagine how I used to use a WT-300 with my FBB.

I can't wait to get out my GS410 and test DER FAFNER on a gig.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tried an EBS HD350 at Bass Central. I can't remember the settings, but I know I was one impressed monkey. Sounded VERY good through an Epifani 3x10. I was diggin the EBS sound. I dunno, maybe I'll go back up there and see if they have an EBS pre-amp I could try...

So many amps, so little time to try them...

3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I wonder what the Eden junkies *cough*Munji*cough* have to say to that. Not that it really matters anyway because each person has his own opinion and all but...

Ok, I'll shut up. :oops:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, Hugh...I'm a Eden junkie myself! And I'll be the first to admit, EBS has something. Something worth checking out, believe you me.

5. The default sound, which seems to be Stanley Tone, works perfectly with this bass. Perfectly.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Told 'ya so!:D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hugh, Hugh, Hugh. Somewhere on this board, I once commented that I played a Faf over at Bass Alone. I then said something to the effect that it's the only amp that I would consider if I didn't already play an Eden. The Fafner is indeed a great amp. No doubt about it.

Oop ... and by the way, congratulations, Peter! You spent your money wisely.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are we on the exact same page with the amps here, or what!? :D

9. Two things:

1. I got the amp for $750, which isn't a bad price at all. The only thing keeping it from dead mint condition is that the red light bulb that illuminates the tube is dead.

2. The guy from whom I bought the amp, one Nicholas D'Amato, has a Sadowsky Vintage 4. SWEET.

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Damn! And I was hoping I had something going here! :D ;)

Oh well, I'll just get back to studying. :( :mad:

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, ya' owe me one for that:D j/k

Welcome to the club. It's a small one, but as you can see, well worth joining:D

BTW: I'm playin' around through mine right now, in between reading posts. Aaaaahhhh!!!!:D

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just wish to point out that the Fafner is made in Sweden.

(While "der" is a german article, the equivalent to "the". Which is not used in swedish. The correct way to express that eagarness, is to say that you can't wait to try out "Fafnern" with the rest of your gear. Hm, perhaps I should become a teacher when I grow up....)

13. Homer voice on:

"Stupid fast Suburban saying what I was about to say before I even had a chance to say it."

Homer voice off.

Oh well, ingen skada skedd. :D

Still, "der Fafner" sounds quite cool. I like the German language, a lot. Wish I could read it a bit better, and, as well, actually speak and write in it.

14. I had 3 years of German in high school...I figured that since Fafner is a Norse figure, not just a Swedish one, "DER FAFNER" would work.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, Pete...how would you compare the EBS sound to the Eden? I myself use a Eden WT-300 as a pre-amp/backup amp, and this thread got me wondering about the wonderfull world of EBS.

Hows the EBS compare? I don't know if this helps, but I'm using an MTD Kingston 5 and 2 410 XLTS...

how do they compare (I myself have not been able to sit down an A/B them, but now I'm curious...)

16. The EBS is bright, tight, and very aggressive. It works well with cabs and basses that have a lot of lows and low midrange--that's why I got it to go with my Aguilar. I tested it through the seller's GS115...damn. I can't wait to plug it into my GS410.

I'd imagine that with a pair of 410XLTs, you could take heads off with a Fafner.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You try any other EBS heads/pre's besides the Fafner? I've already got a mondo power section (Carvin DCM1000)...I was thinking you might have some experience w/ EBS in general...I was thinking one of their pre-amps or HB350s...

GAS
    GAS
    GAS...

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Exactly. What should have been said was:

der Hughes & Kettner

Ya:D

Congrats Peter, sweet amp.