Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Derek and the Dominos Tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by moptoptony, May 16, 2003.

1. I've done some pretty extensive searching, and I've only found two songs by the band: Bell Bottom Blues and Layla. Has anyone seen any other songs by this group that I might have passed over?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You know that it's Eric Clapton don't you?

3. Well, yeah, but I've also searched under Eric Clapton tabs, without any other result. :(

4. Rrrrgh, no luck with bass tabs...lots of guitar tabs and chords, but no new bass tabs that I haven't seen. The problem is that I want to learn their more obscure songs, and I'm not experienced enough to really pick out the bass line that well. So I look online, sure. But nobody cares about the other songs to make a tab for them. I'm having the same problem with a lot of other REALLY good songs, even those that aren't obscure. Like You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by The Righteous Brothers. Great song. A lot of people have heard it. But there are no bass tabs for it! GAH! Give me wisdom!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, a song is a song and the bassline doesn't make it that. Songwriters don't often write bass lines - they expect a decent bass player to do this (write their own bass line) based on the chords and this is what most bands will expect you to do.

So, the quicker you learn to do this, the better. No reliance on Tabs and more chance of getting gigs and to play with other people.

7. *throws in towel*

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hey - it's easy! Most of the time you can get away with using root and fifth of the chord - so on most occasions you are looking at playing the note that is the name of the chord and then the note that is two frets away and up on the next string or immediately below.(unless you are playing Jazz chords with flat 5s)

Then it's just a case of fitting the lines together to make a smooth(ish) transition when the chord changes - as you play more, you find more of the notes in each chord at your own speed and add - 3rds, 7ths etc.

9. No, no; I'm going to be making my own tabs...I'm just not going to be looking on the Internet anymore for those songs. I'm sure I'll be able to make my own bass lines...and have it still sound halfway decent. Thanks for all the help, guys.

10. Be careful about that line. It's one thing to enjoy it, and another thing altogether to live it.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guess what, it takes time and effort to tab songs out. The folks that want the tabs the most are the folks who can't get the songs by ear themselves and the folks that CAN get them songs by ear may have better things to do with their time than contribute tab. This is also why so much tab is bogus, the person who tabbed it was too inexperienced to get it right...or even close.

My advice: work slowly and approximate the lines as best you can for now. Most of the Dominos songs have simple chord structures so you should be able to work up basic lines that work if you spend a little time with it. Good luck.

12. Ah, another soul whose life has been full of heartbreak! ;)

...unless, of course, you mean this in the literal sense...which would be kind of weird. :meh: