Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DEREK SMALLS:GREATIST BASSIST OF ALL TIME?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 8, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    what do you guys think of derek smalls? do you agree that he is without any doubt the absolute greatist bass player that has EVER lived,has he not taken bass playing to every extreme avalibile? in my opinion he is the most inspirational,most copied,and "complete" bassist since JACO,(who in my opinion even borrowed a couple of ideas himself from MR. SMALLS) have you ever broken down the bass line from "BIG BOTTOM" phenominal! words cannot even desribe the feeling he gets from his bass never mind the actual music,i cannot say enuff positive things about him,if you never heard his stuff do yourself a favor ,go get some of his CD'S,sit back and spoil yourself rotton for there will never be another DEREK SMALLS:cool:

2. No habla en Espanol? Ceeeeeeeeee

3. Hmmm - let's see

1) increases crotch size by stuffing a cucumber (wrapped in foil) in his pants
    2) gets stuck in "Seed Pod" on stage
    3) gives groupies rides on his moustache
    4) doesn't like getting upstaged by "the puppet show"

yep - he rocks :bassist:

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Big bottom is actually 3 bass guitars, 2 clean, and one synth. That is why it is called big bottom, aside from the obvious reason of the name.

Tap Rocks :bassist:

And yes, I do think he is a great bassist.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The guy rocks.
    He simply is the best bass player ever.

6. So, who else do ya listen to?

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    To say any one person is the greatest or best bass player is purely speculative. Especially when there are greats out there like, Victor Wooten, John Patitucci, Jeff Berlin, Geddy Lee, Billy Shehan and many more.

There really is no greatest/best

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    thank you fellow tappers,i knew i was'nt crazy about my feelings regaurding MR. SMALLS, and for those unfamiliar with him,he is a bass player in a fictacous band who was the focus of a 1980's movie mock-umentory by ROB RIENER (meathead from ARCHIE BUNKER)though i do believe the movies band subject(SPINAL TAP) is a make believe band,but the actors playing the band members did in fact play their given inst. please do not be offended,this was not meant to cause any hard feelings ,i just was feeling a little frisky this afternoon and decided to indulge in my comical side. i was laid off from my full time job last week and now have way to much time on my hands and spend it on this web site way to much when i could be practicing,or finding a job for that matter
    PS thanks for the scoop on big bottom,i didnt know that about the song(3 bass parts)i knew something was up when my band wanted to play it,i retrieved the tabs and when i played it ,it did'nt quite sound as full,my band dropped the song over other issues and i never investigated the origin of the fuller sound,now i know
    PEACE;)

9. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    ah yes, Mr. luke-warm water. The pope of the bass world.... BassGod's representitive on earth.

10. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    NOOOOOO!!!!!! Spinal Tap is a REAL band and they are my heroes. All of them. How dare you say they are fictitious! You really shouldn't say things like that when you know it could offend others. :bag:

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bambi's mother died, too.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Mike Money isnt annoying.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    "God, I miss Ross McLochness."

14. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Sorry to hear about the day job, Geezer. Many of us are wondering if we'll be the next to be voted off the island.

If you dig TAP, you should watch Guest (Nigel Tufnel)'s other movies. "Waiting for Guffman" and "Best in Show" they're both great. He just did a new one that I haven't seen yet. Something about '60s folk music and aging hippies. It looks pretty good too.

Anyway, Enough off-topic stuff....

uf

15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Don't forget his other identities:

Montgomery Burns
    Waylon Smithers
    Ned Flanders
    Principal Skinner
    Kent Brockman
    Reverend Lovejoy
    Scratchy
    Dr. Marvin Monroe
    Otto
    Dr. Julius Hibbert
    Jasper
    Lenny
    Eddie
    Rainier Wolfcastle (McBain)
    Herman
    Herman
    Mr. Largo
    Kang
    Jebediah Springfield
    God
    The Devil
    Hitler
    Harry Shearer

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He's the best Montgomery Burns
    Waylon Smithers
    Ned Flanders
    Principal Skinner
    Kent Brockman
    Reverend Lovejoy
    Scratchy
    Dr. Marvin Monroe
    Otto
    Dr. Julius Hibbert
    Jasper
    Lenny
    Eddie
    Rainier Wolfcastle (McBain)
    Herman
    Herman
    Mr. Largo
    Kang
    Jebediah Springfield
    God
    The Devil
    Hitler

of all time, as well.
    Harry Shearer

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I own the black album... more or less just to say I own it... none more black. The Bass is pretty good... the music is OK. I almost bought break like the wind too just because bitch school was on it. Maybe next time.

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Break Like the Wind is really good. Very funny.

The title track has Joe Satriani, Slash, and Jeff Beck being shown up by Nigel Tufnel.