1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Derek Trucks Band - Todd Smallie

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thangfish, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I know it's been out a couple of months now, but the newest Derek Trucks Band cd, Already Free, is just an awsome collection of music, from beginning to end!

If they don't get a grammy for this one, they should just stop giving them out.

I know that Todd Smallie is no secret around here, but his grooves on this album just kill me.

I wasn't that much of a fan of the DTB's world music sound, but this blues and soul based set is different.
    One beautiful tune with Susan Tedeschi singing, co-written by Warren Haynes and Derek, and the Doyle Bramhall II tunes are bonuses.

Its still the main cd in my car.

Ok, I'm off to practice some of Smallie's lines.

:bassist::bassist:

2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Todd is very cool! He is not the only bass player on the CD, however.Derek plays bass on "Down in the Flood", Ted Pecchio plays on three songs and Oteil plays on "Our Love". If someone wants to get a real good feel for Todd's playing, they should pick up the "Songlines" DVD.

3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    I agree- Songlines is a great showcase for Smallie: guy has smooth tone and chops... looking forward to getting Already Free

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Check out Yonrico Scott's solo albums for another side of Smallie where he gets to stretch out a bit more.

5. i just saw derek live and loved todd's playing. great groove and supporting bassist with great chops.

ted pecchio? i loved his father Dan's work with Glass harp. I'll have to check the new record out.

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Yes.
    I heard a couple cuts, so that is next on my list.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Saw them about a month ago here in OKC, and Todd and the band flat out slayed. Just feel good grooves with a hard blues intensity. Dug it. Todd's Jbass was cutting and punching all night too.