Derek Trucks Band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jun 7, 2005.

1. After I saw the Allmans live I fell in love with the guitar playing of Derek Trucks. The dude wiped the floor with Warren Haynes. Ive heard things about his solo band and heard some mp3s so I want to buy an album. Can someone suggest something with him on it?? Other than Allmans stuff that is. Thanks alot yall. Any other fans out there?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have their 1st two albums...good band of young players.
    They got the balls to cover Sun Ra & 'Trane!
    ...their Meters' cover ain't so bad, either.
  3. I know I'm a little late here :p

...but I just wanted to bump this topic anyways. I just recently got the albums Soul Serenade and Joyful Noise by Derek Trucks and they are Awesome!!! I've always loved his work with Warren and the Allman Brothers but his solo stuff is really sweet, and a bit different. Right now, "Born To Rock", "Drown In My Own Tears" and a single called "Elvin" are my favorite songs. Definatly check them out if you get a chance :D
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If you get a chance, go see the Derek Trucks band live. The whole band just smokes!! :bassist: Don't sell Warren Haynes too short either, he plays more of the Dickey Betts role in the Allmans now, and gives Derek lots of room/support. Warren really lets loose in Gov't Mule. Warren is also one of the main reasons the Allmans sound so much fresher now, with his songwriting, vocals and production skills bringing new life to the band IMHO ;)
    I think the split with Dickey was good for all of them. I bought a new Great Southern DVD last month, and Dickey has a smoking hot young bassist named Pedro Arevalo playing with him now.
  5. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    There are currently 415 live shows posted here at the

Live Music Archive - Derek Trucks Band

The band allows audience taping and trading. You can stream them online to hear for music quality or download in a variety of formats.

Tremendous live energy.
  6. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What!?!?! :eyebrow:

I like Derek, but Warren is great. Check out the Allmans at Beacon Theater DVD, and some of the Gov't Mule stuff.

Don't forget to check out Oteil as well on the Beacon DVD, Friggin' Great
  7. Yeah, Derek is my favorite slide player but wipe the floor with Warren he doesn't.

They serve different roles in the band and they both do them masterfully. Derek's slide is incredible but put him in a non-slide duel with Warren and he isn't going to win.

Different roles for different players. Warren and Derek are two of the best out there today. Don't go saying one is so much better than the other. They don't look at eachother that way and we shouldn't either.

8. Yeah I know, When I posted that I was caught up in the moment. I still like Trucks better but Warren does have his awesome stuff. Honestly though when I saw them Derek totally blew my mind.
  9. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

I was introduced to the DTB through a friend's live soundboard recordings and then from going to the shows. I don't mean it in a bad way, but the studio recordings were almost a letdown once I heard them.

DTB is absolutely phenominal live - not to be missed.
  10. I dl'ed the Live at Georgia Theatre show off iTunes recently and it was just amazing!!

Go download it now!!
  11. I'll be seeing Derek Trucks and his band live mid-february :hyper:
  12. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Live at Georgia Theatre. Excellent live album only available online (you can download it or I believe you can purchase the real CD from DTB's website) or at his live shows. Sadly, My favorite studio album by him is OOP (Out of the Madness on House of Blues records).

He also makes guest appearances on Gov't Mule's "Deep End Volume 1", Jazz is Dead's "Laughing Water", "Wintertime Blues",
    Frogwings, and a few others.

Also, check out anything with Jimmy Herring on guitar.
  13. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I saw Derek last week at the unbelievably beautiful Strathmore Music Centre.

Terrific show, already available on the Live Music Archive. Opening act was saxaphonist Ron Holloway and his band. They were outstanding as well, and Ron joined for a few tunes with Derek.

Attached Files:

14. jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've seen Trucks open for Mule on several occasions. I must say this is probably my fav combination of bands to see live. Trucks is an awesome player, and I've had the opporotunity to meet Todd Smalle his bassists a few times, great guy. However seeing them both live with their bands you get a better feel for how the two musicians play. Trucks is amazing but Haynes definately has a little more experience and it shows. I'm sure Trucks will surpass him someday but it will be awhile. Seeing both them on stage together is a great experience if you ever get the chance. I was at their new years eve show in Atl in 98 I believe and saw them Bernie Worell, Chuck Livell, Matt Ford, Dave Schools and countless others all on stage at the same time.. talk about a religous experience
  15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Ditto on Jimmy Herring! I really dig Frogwings! Derek and Jimmy Herring make a pretty dangerous pair.
  16. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    So this has been looming over at the ABB forum for a while but it's just been announced that Derek will be joining none other than Eric Clapton for the UK leg of Clapton's tour. Just imagine if one day down the road if Derek asks Clapton to sit in with the ABB. Warren, Derek, and Clapton on one stage playing together. Just think about that for minute.
  17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Cool! Eric can go back to playing Lala the old way:bag: