Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Derran Brown - live russian roulette.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 5, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    :eek: Did anyone see this?! :eek: (channel 4, UK tv,9pm).

The magican Derren brown presented his latest 'magic trick' in which he scoured hundreds of volunteers for a readable one to participate in a 1 man russian roullette live on british TV.

The first 45 mins consited of multiple stages to identify one person out of the 100 that got through that he felt he would be able to mentally read in order to identify which chamber fo the 6 chamber revolver the live bullet would be in. He proposed to do this solely by the tone of the volunteers voice when stating the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 in succession.

Derren then raised the gun to his head and pulled the trigger, emptying chamber one. The tension, even jjst watching, was phenonomal - if he picked the wrong chamber, game over.

I wont share any more info just yet, I'm sure it'll be on the news (Hell, this blows david-in-a-box-blane outta the pic').

2. I've got my suspicions about it- and how "live" was it really?
    -but it was entertaining TV at the end.

over on the Channel4 forums someone who went for the auditions says it was obvious he was looking for someone who was nervous to be the most susceptible to suggestion-

http://community.channel4.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=162603557&f=5006034991&m=342607482

but it makes me wonder how Derren Brown can have normal relationships with people if he can read their minds so easily :meh:

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    and THATS why I don't watch reality TV.... Live russian roulette, gigs that feature a cuicide... see where it's heading......

Admit it, you were hoping he blew his brains out, weren't you?

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    No. Seriously, I wasnt, I like this Derren guy from what material of his I've seen in the past.

...I'm not to concerned about blaney boy in his box though ;)

5. How many people were watching so they could see him blow his brains out, I wonder.

6. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    If anyone in the UK reads the Daily Mail, take a look at the article on him. Apparently the gun was a fake.

Ch4 have yet to comment on it.

7. Apparently, the story is that he was due to do the stunt, and the day of the "stunt", local police ruled that he couldn't use a real bullet, he had to use a blank. But having already advertised the show, it had to go ahead. So even if the bullet had gone off, since it was a blank, no harm would have been done.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

But I gather he still lied to the public, pretending that he was performing real Russian roulette.

I suspect that he knew all along the police would "force" him to use a fake bullet.

But anyway: the odds were still stacked 5/6 in his favor. If he wants to impress me, he can leave just one chamber empty... and not bother unless he's using real bullets. Then his claim to fame will be a Darwin award.

9. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I take it none of you guys saw the show, specifically the part showing the damage a balnk would do at close range (unless this was inserted just as a backup plan).

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    At that kind of range (near-contact to contact), a blank can definitely still kill.

The way that a blank round still can make a noise is that it has something to push out the barrel, just like a regular round. The difference is that it pushes a wad of cardboard, in stead of a bullet. But at that close of a range it can 'push' that wad of cardboard right into the cranial vault.

One of the first suicides I worked was ruled accidental, because of the use of a blank. The guy supposedly didn't know it would kill him. And does anybody else remember an actor named Jon-Erik Hecksim, or something like that? Back in the '80's he killed himself with a blank gun, because he didn't realize the blank load would go through the bone of the side of his head.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    remember the guy from "the crow" movie he died filming/joking around with a blank gun.

since when did entertainment change from "feel good" entertainment to "feel bad" entertainment. I guess horror movies have been around for along time, but this is getting ridiculous! I don't even like many non-gory horror films like "the ring" or "sixth sense"

one of the more sick forms of 'entertainment' are those "back yard wrestling/T&A" videos. combining man's two most powerful emotions: hate&sex drive :meh:

12. Brandon Lee?

13. Because everything the Daily Mail prints is of course oh so true :rolleyes:

That sounded very Bruce like :meh:

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Depends on the blank. You can put in a primer, some powder and cover it with rice paper if you want to load one yourself! This will still go off with a mighty bang, and to people not too well clued up on what a specific gun report sounds like will be convincing enough.

What you will get at the very least is a real nasty burn and a very deaf ear!

We had rounds that didn't go off before. Whe you take out the powder and the slug, load what's left into a gun and fire it, it still gives a good bang, and will still make a mess of a bit of paper about 1ft from the barrel!

In the movies, the reason they use a wad of cardboard or whatever, is the provide gas back pressure so that the cases eject from automatic weapons - otherwise there isn't enough back force to cycle the weapon! The guns have to have some modifications to - especially the recoil springs.

15. I've always wondered about that - every time I see a movie featuring a squad of bad guys each toting a sneer and an MP5, I always think "Is there a company which makes those things special, or do they just use real ones?"

The guns, that is. Not the sneers.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

They'll modify the springs! Either use one that isn't as strong or clip it shorter - a good number oif years ago, one of the members of our postol club did this with a .357 auto magnum. Our range wasn't lisenced for magnum loads so he could only fire .38 Special loads in it(same calibre as .357) . But there wasn't enough blowback to cycle the gun. He clipped bits off the recoil spring until the .38 cases would eject!