Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Descending Tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Goldsac, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Goldsac

Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    Anyone ever notice how much easier it is to tap an ascending scale/up the fretboard than it is to tap down a descending scale/down the fretboard? I can make it sound nice and smooth going upward, but coming back down, I can only get a decent volume by playing staccato and the choppiness ruins everything. I understand why this is: hammer-ons (to me) are much easier than pull offs. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any pointers on this kinda thing. The only thing I can think of to alleviate this problem is to pull off with my right hand fingers, but that seems like a LOTTA work & coordination (not to mention a helluva lotta stress on the tendons).

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i can go up easy, yes. Going down is hard because pulling off requires more effort. I dunno man, just keep at it, but dont attack it head on, start slow and you'll get there. Start the pull offs slow, making sure they sound nice and clean, then slowly get faster, making sure you dont sacrifice speed for quality.

3. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    The hardest part of tapping for me is tapping/hammering with my left index finger. The problem is, in an ascending tap it's the first note, wich should be played strongly for the rest of it to sound good.

The right hand pull-off is actually quite simple and easily learned. When you pull-off with right hand, don't raise the finger straight up, but move it crosswise to the string. It doesn't have to be much, just a little to get a little more volume for the pull-off.

When you use more than one finger with your right hand the pull-offs become waaayyy harder..

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As you've noticed, the proper technique for the pulloff is a little different from the hammer on. You should be plucking the string with the left hand finger at the same time that the finger is leaving the string.

Just lifting the fingers up isn't going to produce notes of any appreciable volume.

5. Goldsac

Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    Those are what I've been working on. The EVH style where you pull a note off with your right hand to your left hand (alternating) wasn't too hard to get down. But pulling off one right hand finger down to another right hand finger...good lord :D

Thanks for the help guys

6. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    It gives a lot of inspiration to learn them when you think or hear the cool stuff you can do with it.. Damn, it's back to my bass again.. :bassist: :D