Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Descent Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lady Jayde, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I own a Johnson Brand Bass.. It looks alot like a Peavey. I mean down to the little details. Yet I don't see alot of people talking about Johnson Basses. Is it just an off brand of guitar? Or is it a bad company all together? Please Respond.
    Lady Jayde

2. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I prefer an ascent bass myself.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Johnson is a guitar company, they make both guitars and basses, and they deal in profit by volume alone. They are cheap, and as such, aren't the greatest basses. That it looks like a Peavey is the point. The average newbie or mother that doesn't know better is more likely to think "Well, it looks JUST like this other one, but is $100 ceaper."

You get what you pay for. And if you don't pay much, don't expect much.

Do you like the bass?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It may _look_ like a Peavey, but Johnsons sure ain't Peaveys.

I'm sure it's in a similar league as Lotus and Karera basses, which might actually be made in the same factory. Unfortunately, It's not a very high league...

5. You have to start somewhere. My first bass was a Hondo P-bass copy. It was crap! Be patient, better basses will come. Learn what you can with whatever you have.:)

6. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    Brendan,
    I enjoy the bass, since it was a gift. But i am trying to work my way to a better bass. Today i put my first payment on a new 5 String. I can't pick it up untill i have it paid off half way.. but that won't take long.. Thanx for the input guys.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What 5 string?

8. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I found an Ibanez SR405 in Black. It is a slightly used bass but in great condition. I just can't wait to get it home and play something.
    Lady Jayde

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    SR405?

How much did you pay for it? Certainly, it's not a bad bass, but I can't help but think a better 5 string could be had for around the same price. However, I'm not familliar with the used prices of the SR seried, so I'm not sure how much they run.

In any event, you could have done much worse.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Johnsons are good bigginer basses. Who cares whats on the headstock (if applicable of course) if it sounds good right?

11. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    Well what do you think i could have gotten for better.. I could still change my mind.. I think i would rather have a good opinion on what kind of 5 string i could get for under $500. And I would rather not post the price I bought the bass for.. A personal reason..
    Lady Jayde

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Under 500? Two words: MTD Kingston

The MTD Kingston is one of the best basses uner 1000, and is has a B string that kills a lot of 1500+ basses out there. Anything else, you're just kidding yourself. They sell for about 450, and kick it with the best of them. www.basscentral.com has very fair prices on them.

Use the search function, and enter "Kingston" and a wealth of thread's pop up. They are very highly regarded. I don't think you could do any better if you tried.

13. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I will look into that.. Kingston? I wonder if the Guitar stores up here carry them... Thnx alot Brendan

14. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    Now Brendan... If I choose to go with a Fretless bass. (but i'm a novice still) would it be smart to get the fret board lined? I think it would.. make sure i get the note in tune. Just a curiousity question for ya...
    Lady Jayde

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yes. Even with fretlines, intonation is very shakey, for a begginner or not. You have to devolop your ear to play in tune, because just playing on the lines doesn't gaurantee an intune note, because of the placement of your fingers.

16. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I have a very good ear for notes.. I've been singing and playing instruments since i was 6. So i wouldn't think intonation would be a problem..
    If you would like to continue this.. It may be easier if we tried using aim or yahoo.. Just a suggestion tho.
    Lady Jayde

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aim it is.
    I'll boot up.

18. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    okie dokie then.. i'm online and everything is ready.
    Lady Jayde