Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Describe the Rick Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 14, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've got a rick 4003 and I love it but its not a bass i'd ever gig with just because I love it to much, so I was wondering if some one could best describe the tone so I could start searching for another bass to use out and about I was thinking Warwick with a natural finish (Hard to scratch or dent or at least no one can tell on woody basses.) But I'd also like a jazz bass tone so I could go from like Jaco (Ha Like a new bass will make a difference.) to john paul jones to like any 70's ric owner.

Any ideas which bass comes close to this.

Btw no more than $1500 new please and no warwick rock basses not into the new metal look.;)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You wouldn't gig with a bass you love? Bizarre.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah.. the question is.. why spend money on a bass if you aren't going to use it? Basses are great creations but they are meant to be heard... If it is the best bass you've ever owned.. use it.. thats what I do

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Agreed. Perhaps he's had some experience with gear being stolen or damaged while gigging. I probably won't do much gigging with my DP 6 or fretless when they come in, well, maybe the fretless...but playing in a ska band I probably wont' gig the 6er too much.

5. I had a Ric 4001, it loved to "gig". Ric's are made to be heard by adoring fans. They look cool too! Unless you bought it just for sleeping with, gig it!!:)

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    One more vote for gigging with it. Untuck your shirt so you don't get rivet scratches and go for it.

7. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    I gig regularly with a pair of Ric 4003's and wouldn't take anything else with me to a gig. If you are that concerned.......buy another Ric, maybe a Mapleglo (easy to touch up), with the intention of gigging with it then keep the other one at home. If you are looking for a range of tones....the Ric may not have been the best choice to begin with but with various modeling effects and a versatile preamp you should be able to get "close enough" to most tones that you are looking for.
    To show what a "knob" I am....I have a Ric 4004LK on order (only 60 are being made) and I can't wait to get my mits on it so I can take it to gigs and show it off :eek: :D :rolleyes:

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I spent a good six years gigging with a Ric 4001. After a while, I started to yearn for more flexibility...its funny you should mention Warwick. For the last six years, I have been playing a Corvette Standard with honey violin finish/wenge neck and EMG J pickups. This bass gives me more flexibility than I ever imagined! I can get my old Rics' tone with the front p.u. soloed, Jaco with the back soloed, and nice compressed slap tone with both. Love it! www.ptmeatbox.com

9. Gig your 4003! It's hardly a one-off instrument, if it gets screwed, you can always buy another one, not like a Wal or Fodera or something...

10. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    i just got my first bass,and it's a 4003.i'm not well to do,but i think since you only live once...
    i'm 35 with no illusions.i don't collect things,i use them.unless your into family heirlooms,play it.bumps and dings are just part of life.one day you'll be polishing those dents thanking yourself,instead of pulling it out of the closet wondering why you spent your money in the first place.

11. The Ric Tone? Is there a word that means the feeling of having a cold chisel driven into your frontal lobe and you're enjoying every minute of it?

Incubus, you dirty bastard, you're actually getting a Lemmy bass? I'm jealous! I would love to have one of those to take and play with the bluegrass guys I sometimes jam with, they'd be diggin' the engravings and all and then I'd get to tell them who's signature series it is.

12. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It's not that I don't want to gig with it but I can't really people get shot here for having nice shirts let alone nice basses and if it does get broken or stolen well yer sure I can buy a new one but not until I go to the states or the uk so then I would have no high end bass. I also want the other tonal capabillities of some thing with jazz pickups or a humbucker.

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    (In Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) STOP YOUR WHINING! Get a Warwick already.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Heaven!

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    find a used ric over the internet
    don't care if it is scratched or dented.
    then use that to gig with!!!!
    the best way in my opinion
    so when you drop it you won't feel as bad!!!
    that is the way to go!!! go !!!! go!!!!!

steve

17. I'm not too sure about the Ric versatility. I had band members complaining about the sound not cutting through, sometimes. I enjoyed it and never had listeners ever complain about muddiness or lack of definition. I've played other basses that have more variety and I am satisfied with my current bass. (Ya right!) I'm seriously starting "early" plans for a Mark Garza.

I'm really sure that you can't take everything that is offered up in these forums as serious advice or comment. People here just have a unique way of making you feel at "home". If they're not being cordial...oh well, they can go to hell!! :D

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would say the tone is rickish or perhaps rickesque

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now, these people who'll shoot you for a Ric or your shirt ... do they disdain Warwicks enough that they wouldn't shoot you over it? What an odd society there in Venezuela. Selective bass hoodlums.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that word....warwick in the same post with the word Rickenbacker is blasphemous for my ears...;)