Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

describe the sound of roundwounds on a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat_o_bastard, Jan 8, 2002.

1. i have been using flats on my fretless, mainly because that's what everyone told me to use, and because i didn't want to destroy my fingerboard. but new information suggests that rounds CAN be used on a fretless......interesting indeed......unfortunately i don't know if i should do it, hence this post. anyone tried it? what's it sound like? do you need to put 18 coats of protective coating on your board? do i ask too many questions?

thanks for any help

:) :D :cool: :eek: :( ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :oops: :p :mad:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Read the thread on this topic in "Strings".

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Jaco Pastorius, Mark Egan, Pino Palladino, Jeff Ament, Victor Wooten, Michael Manring, all use(d) roundwounds on fretless, if you're looking for sounds. And many others.

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    kinda like this:

booooooooooooooow ooooooooooow wwwweeeooowwwww buuum buuum slapitty slappity bow BOW BOW BOW BOOWOW BOOM BOOM DUN DUN DUN BOOM BOOM slappity bowbowbowdundundundun

etc

5. don't forget "mwwaaaaaaaaah"

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nevermind roundwounds on a fretless. How in the heck were you able to use 11 smilies in 1 post? I can't use more than 5. I had to remove 6 to get this post to work.

7. I recently put some fender black tape wound stings on my fretless.

I thought they were flatwounds that were then wound with the black nylon tape. I was wrong. they are stainless steel round wounds that are then wrapped with the nylon tape.

I figured it would still be kind to my fingerboard because of the nylon wrapping.

But they sounded like SH*T. You know the little spring they put on the backs of doors to keep the knob from hitting the wall. BOOOOIIIIIINNNNNNGGGG

Anyway I wasted $25, I reccomend sticking with medium-light gauge flats, the Thomastics are the best.

Take my opinion for what it's worth. But it was the difference between a nice big fat round mwwaaaaaaaaah or a tinny springy booiiinnnnggg.

Maybe it was just my bass though, I've got a maple fingerboard.

8. booooooooooooooow ooooooooooow wwwweeeooowwwww buuum buuum slapitty slappity bow BOW BOW BOW BOOWOW BOOM BOOM DUN DUN DUN BOOM BOOM slappity bowbowbowdundundundun

hmmmm, so that's what it's like.

maybe i'll give it a try, could be better than flats (thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump thump )

11 smilies? i don't know how i does it, i must be talented or something.

damn, now it doesn't work. i guess it was some strange time blip in cyberspace that allowed me to put those extra smilies. i wish i'd taken adavantage of it and posted like 400

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, now I will answer the thread, instead of posting stuff about smilies.

Like Geshel said, Jaco Pastorius, Mark Egan, Pino Palladino, Jeff Ament, Victor Wooten, Michael Manring, and many more all use(d) roundwounds on fretless. I prefer the sound of stainless steel roundwounds on fretless, and that's all I will use. But it is really hard to describe the difference in tone on a forum, sorta like dancing about architecture, or something.

Check out recordings by the aforementioned players, especially Pastorius and Wooten, for 2 different extremes of what rounds sound like on a fretless.

10. by the way, what would you recomend putting on my poor weak rosewood board, to keep it from turning into a piece of firewood?

11. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Polyurethane. Lots of it.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you learn to play with somewhat low action,light touch and nickel rounds, you really wont have to put anything on a rosewood board.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I played two years on an unfretted maple board, without a mark!
    Just don't push it.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    But, according to Dr. Funk, tapewounds really sizzle!
    ... oh wait, that's just on a Thumb Bass -

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32967

:)

See how hard it is to describe the sound a bass makes?