Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Describe the unhealthiest person you know...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...and what, if anything you did, do, or will do to help them?

The unhealthiest person I know, let's call him Gary, is morbidly obese. For those who don't know how that's defined, it means they're at least 100 pounds over their ideal weight. I'm sure he's over 40 and if that weren't enough, he smokes.

Because Gary is just an acquaintance, a friend of a friend, I don't feel we're close enough for me to say anything about it. Even if we were closer, I still feel I'd have a hard time bringing the subject up.

Other than smelling his cigarette smoke when he's around (which I hate and will not tolerate any more come 2006), It makes me a bit mad to see someone suffer from things that are perfectly avoidable and that could be eliminated with a few lifestyle changes. Sure, some people have a problem, but Gary's thing is mostly self inflicted, IMO, and sympathy for that kind of condition can only go so far. I might discuss the matter with our mutual friend, but don't feel I can do more than that

On the less voluntary condition side, I did have a roommate who suffered from acid reflux disorder and was in and out of the hospital every month. Her system was very fragile and she ended up passing from a heart attack at the age of 23 in 2003, leaving a 6 year old daughter behind. :(

Anyone else?

No, this ain't gonna be a happy thread. Life ain't always happy.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I would describe someone similar as 'Gary.' Except rather than smelling the smoke, it's a combination of smoke and whatever he has growing between his flab. His home is just as bad. With full garbage bags in his back yard as well as his van, he is one of the more disgusting people I know of. He can barely hold himself up to walk for 15 feet and needs something to literally fall on to prop him up if he's over-exerted himself.

To top it off, he has a riding mower for a less than 1/4 acre lawn, and mows after dusk to avoid exposing himself to sunlight.

I know I'm not the most healthy person out there, but I always get the feeling to play the lottery every time I see that guy walking...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :meh: 37 not 40.... and I quit smoking a while ago now... thanks for noticing. No need to dig at me for my weight... you think I haven't noticed when I was buying new bigger cloths again

I'll be going now thank you very much

:bawl:

4. Morbidly obese 17 year old boy named brandon bowers. His belly button exploded and wont heal over and oozes crap all the time, needs get a nurse to change the dressing for him every day. He drinks every day, dropped out of school, doesn't bath, smokes, wears rotting clothes. I once watched him eat 12 homemade cheeseburgers at 8am, he mooches everything off his mom and treats her like crap along with everyone else he knows.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well right now the sickest person I know would be me, after reading that :)

How does your belly button explode? How much does this kid weigh?

Probably the unhealthiest person I know is a toss up between two, both being people I work with.

One woman never bathes (she sure doesn't seem like it..I hold my breath when she walks by) She never washes or combs or her, and her clothes always look like she just picked them up off the floor.

The other person must weigh about 450 pounds. One of those who can still walk, but waddle and walk bow legged. Have you seen those drink containers with the straw that look like a mini keg? She drinks a few of those a day, and she's constantly refilling it with coke. She barely fits into the chairs at work too.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

umbilical hernia

Mike

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I eat way too much junk food. I run 3 to 5 miles everyday and do a bit of strength exercises but I need to stay away from the Cheetos. It's like I'm wasting my efforts.

8. the worst would be a dead person - i've seen too many of those already..........damn workin in hospitals....

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Beside Me? :)
    Well there's my daughters x-boyfriend. What I did to help was sponsor him on a bass rig, chepo Ibenez and a little fender bassman. Taught him myself some,bought him a DVD. When they broke up, he paid me off, and went back to his old ways that got him thrown in prison, he's dealing crystal meth and smoking the crap out of it. He went instanly from being a buff good looking young man to a waste case. Doesn't look like the same person.
    As far as obese, a guy I used to work for was so bad he had to hem the crotch or his pants at the knees. Filthy rich and looked like a pig. Had his stomach staples before it was a cosmetic surgery, I don't think it helped and I believe he's not with us anymore.
    I had another boss (bless her heart, she is so nice) she's big enough that I don't think she could fit in the toilet space in either of my bathrooms.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had the opportunity to work for the state of Washington in 2004. I came across some very unhealthy people. People who were so fat that they had to ride the elevator to go up one flight of stairs. People who were gasping for air after walking 20 yards to the breakroom for some coffee and a donut. People so lazy that they would call me on the phone or send me an e-mail to ask me a question instead of walking ten feet to my desk. What made it all worse is that I worked for the Department of Health!!! It all capped off with the following account.

The building I worked in was brand new. As the employees were moving in from the old building across the street, a major problem came up. One of the employees moving into the building could not fit through the door to her part of the building. In the old building, there were double doors to her part of the building. So, they had to have the contractor come in and tear open the wall to put in double doors so this woman could come to work. I swear on my grandma's grave that this story is 100% true.

Out of pure fear, I intensified my workout routine.

-Mike

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hmmm...one guy I know weighs over 400 lbs. As if that weren't bad enough, a few years ago, he had bariatric surgery, got down to like 225, and has now gained it all back. Mostly, this is from eating crap and drinking a case of beer almost every day. Ad that to bad feet and ankles (no doubt weight related), and kidney problems, and he ain't too healthy.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Probably the unhealthiest person I've seen would be on one of those shows about the people who weigh 800+ pounds. This one guy lost most of the weight and was down to like 197 or something which was incredible...he gained most of it back :(

13. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd say the most unhealthy person I know would be one of my good friends actually. :( He's had asthma for most of his life, and he constantly smokes cigarettes and pot, nevermind drinking about a case of beer a day. He's not obese or anything, but when he coughs it sounds like his lungs are trying to come up out of his throat. It's a shame cause he's a really talented guitarist, and I wonder if he'll make it to 40.

AuG

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    heh... looking at this thread... i should loose some weigh:( Its on b****es...

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    All my friends are unhealthy in their own way, but none of them have multiple unhealthy things going on. A friend of mine is getting worse and worse in the drug scene, skips school all day to smoke weed, does DXM (key ingredient in meth), shrooms, plans on getting acid soon, etc. Me and a buddy are considering the fact that an intervention may be neccessary, depending on how far he goes. He drinks a bit but not a ton, and hes not overweight and kinda outdoorsy

Another friend of mine is overweight, i dont know how much. But hes a nice guy, doesnt smoke, hit the cheeb occasionaly, drinks occasionaly, only in a social setting. Gets a bit of exercise, eats relatively healthy, etc.

If all the bad parts of each of my friends were combined then i would have someone who is like the people described at the top of the thread

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I can't really think of any disgustingly unhealthy people off the top of my head...

this kid at work, adam... he comes early... has a mcflurry. takes his ten minute break... has a mcflurry. takes his half hour... a couple double cheeseburgers, nuggets, and a sundae... last ten, another flurry.

He's fat... hes disgusting.

I hate him.

I don't feel sorry for fat people...

I'm 5'11 210ish, so I'm far from in great shape... but damn, those people make me feel a lot better.

17. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    most unhealthy looking people I have met all work in health food stores!

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Reply again when you are 30.

19. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Out of all my friends, I may very well be the most unhealthy.

I'm not out of shape or anything and I have good hygiene but I barely drink any water, I'm addicted to soda/energy drinks, I don't exercise and I get next to no sleep.

One of my friends is actually worrying me. He spent 72 hours awake to see how long he could stay awake. He says he started hearing stuff around hour 50 and now he hears it every day even after sleeping. He's been having lucid dreams and all too. He also has really weird political and social ideals and coupled with his craziness that he's developed, I'm afraid he won't last too long.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, that does sound pretty sicko.

-Mike