Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Describe these pedals....(overdrive)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikgag, May 17, 2005.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Before anyone runs off on a tangent, yes, I did do a search, but there are alot of new members that might like to contribute so here goes....

I'm looking for a slight/mild overdrive that can kinda cop the SVT grind/Kyuss/Fu Manchu kinda thing. Think warm and creamy dirt. These are the pedals I'm thinking about

1)Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
    2)Marshall Guv'nor II
    3)Digitech Bass Driver
    4)???

I've already got a Sansamp BDDI which I use as my main pre for my clean signal (??...yea...I know) and I can't justify the $$ for a Fulltone or the like. Some input on the above pedals would be appreciated....

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I know its not on your list, but you should give the DOD 250 Overdrive/Pre a try. Its a very mild overdrive that can get the SVT pretty well. For $29 its worth a shot.

I picked one up and use it more often than any others (A Boss ODB3 and EHX Double Muff).

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    sparkle drive kicks ass!!! really clean pedal with a sort of Mojo attached to it I'w describe it as a one channel fulltone with more caracter and with the abilty to mix clean and Drive for greaaaatt sounds!!! also the clean boost really kicks thight ass!!

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like the Fulltone Bassdrive for this SVT / Jack Bruce sound.

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I thought the Sansamp was exactly what you get when you want mild overdrive and especially for that SVT-like tone? I don't have one, but that's why I want to get one. For the mild overdrive and ability to get dirty and clanky (SVT) when necessary. :help:

-Eric.

6. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Gonna have to +1 the Sparkle Drive.

Just got mine 2 weeks ago, used it at 3 gigs so far and am loving it. Very nice pedal!! :ninja: :ninja:

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is. But you cannot easily switch between clean and dirty unless you get the new programmable one.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Oh. Oh, I do. :D

-Eric.