Describe you Gigs / Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mark beem, Dec 16, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have four projects going at the moment:

I have referred to this as my "Prog" metal band, but I don't think that's an accurate term.. In essence, "prog" pushes boundaries and forges into new territory. We're really doing neither. So, I guess "Intellectual" or maybe "Thinking" metal would be more suitable. Think of Fates Warning and Queensryche with elements of New Age and gothic/atmospheric thrown in.

We're currently writing and (scratch) recording material for our first CD. Also, we're looking for a vocalist/lyricist. The band currently has four members.

Yes, I am aware of the misspelling of the name. If you not familiar, "Lachesis" is one of the "Three Fates" in classical mythology along with Clotho and Atropos.. I wanted to keep the traditional spelling, but was out voted.. I'm still going to fight this some more...

Lonesome Moe
    My days with them are numbered.. I have one last show, New Years Eve, after which the new guy will be with them.. I've really enjoyed playing in the band, but after three years I'm ready to go on to other things. Lonesome Moe is just your basic club/party cover band doing material from the early 70's through today. We tried to write original stuff, but it just wouldn't happen. I wish them all the luck!!

My "solo" project.. Very keyboard intensive.. Don't really know how to categorize this. New Age I guess.. Totally instrumental that focuses heavily on rhythm. The music is very medetative.. a musical mantra so to speak. Think Shadowfax / early David Arkenstone / "Soul Cages" era Sting.. That's a pretty good comparison.

Triple 13
    Traditional bluegrass. A terribly underrated genre. I have met some of the BEST musicians at festivals and shows. Composed of five members, bassist, banjo, mandolin, guitar and fiddle (not a violin ) we mainly do material by Flatt and Scruggs, Big Mon, The Osborne Brothers, Jim and Jesse, etc... It's fun!!
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My Main gigs are as follows:

Solo Bass
    I do about 25 concerts a year playing avant-garde classical music for solo bass. These concerts take place usually on a university campus ot in an art gallery

I play upright in a Bluegrass group,my wife on dobro. I absolutely love this stuff. Mark, you are right some of the utmost killer players are playing this music

Free-Funk Jazz
    My passion. I do it with some of philly's best

Studio work

This year I've done 36 studio dates for local jingles, also for industrial videos, and the occasional commercial gig. I've got a session with some big rap guy that I've never heard of coming up this Thursday.

I also teach electric and upright. I charge $50 an hour and have a loyal following and usually when when one my students leaves he/she is replaced by someone else from word of mouth.

it's busy but it works.:)
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    (1.)The Squirrelheads

spicy , southern-fried, "stick-to-yo-ribs", "can't git dat taste outch yer mouth" music, Nawlins style! Party/cover band, drinking gig.

(2.)The Michael Levine Band

Original Singer/Songwriter acoustic 'folktronica'.... Think Peter Gabriel/Dave Matthews/Pete Yorn/David Gray. Lots of looping! All Original tunes.

(3.)The Subject

We are a 5 piece (sax, gtr, drums, bass, keys) funk/fusion/gangsta-acidjazz group that plays 70% Originals and 30% Covers. In the vein of the Greyboy Alstars, Soulive, Lettuce...

(4.)Barron Ruth
    & The Blues Barons

Deep, Dark, Dirty, 'don't talk to yo mamma with that mouth' blues.

***luckily we don't have a pic of that group***

Other than that, Recording, Practicing ('being the self-student'), Going to Blues Jams.... Various 'pick-up' gigs.

4. Re: Bluegrass.... :cool:

Starting to have a whole new respect for this style of music. :) Heard on Austin City Limits recently:

Patty Loveless (with a bluegrass band instead of the country ensemble) and holy wow, it was great!!! Some very fine players, really enjoyed the show.

The Del McCoury Band - OMG!! :eek: These guys are nothing short of amazing, if they're on ACL again, don't miss it!!

Re: My gigs / bands...

'NRG' played covers for the last 2 yrs,
    45% modern rock
    40% classic rock
    10% funk
    5% blues

Things went well... then our lead singer chose to pursue another project (we parted on good terms, I run sound for them now). We are now working with a local singer / bass player that is very talented and dedicated. I will be migrating into playing about 5 songs / set on keyboards, 5 songs / set on bass. Along with running the mix (as primary sound tech), I am looking forward to this gig and hope this holds, I am proud to work with such a talented group.

Hired sound tech - some of my musician friends hire me to run their mix. They say it has something to do with my track record, me being an audiophile, a genuine passion for sound, and being easy to work with.

Hope to have an opportunity to run sound at some of the bigger local clubs that have nice house rigs. Working on my resume for that. Pays as well if not better than playing, and I love to mix so hopefully it works out.

5. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    im in a worship band and we are highschoolers (except for the leader, hes 25 i think)and we play at elevate, our student ministry every Sunday morning. we play for about 150 to 200 high schoolers and its a real blast. we are kinda a four piece. sometimes this girl sings with us. we play some gigs and get payed for those. thats fun. we dont have any original stuff, but we play your upbeat worship songs and a few cover songs from switchfoot and relient k. we dont really have a name, but we are the elevate worship band. we have 2 cds out and we are going into the studio probably in february to record another.

6. I'm in a Rock/Metal band. The two guitarists used to play in this other band I was a rodie for before I started playing bass, then the drummer moved to Florida (and now to Arizona and is visiting this week, I'm so excited, he's on of my best friends!) and the bassist they had was an egotistic bastard and so they stopped playing with him.

Me and one of the guitarists (Luke) have been playing together since I started playing bass. The other guitarist (Heeva) we started jamming with and eventually it was us three. We had one drummer (Tim) but he wasn't that great and didn't really fit in with the whole personality of the rest of us, but he is a great guy and we are still friends.

Our new Drummer (Randy) is really good. Heeva used to (and still does) jam with him a lot so they know eachothers' style pretty well and get along great and Luke and I just kind of fit in there with them.

We don't have many songs written (like 2) but we haven't been jamming lately either (school) but will during the break and a lot more once the wrestling/basketball season is over (I'm in wrestling and Heeva in basketball).

Pretty much we just think up stuff and put it together, not really knowing how it is going to sound, but most of it comes out as like Rock/Metal.

Pics of the guys (don't have one of Randy):

Our old drummer Tim
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<b>1) I run open mike here: I sit in with whoever shows up, anything goes.

2) I do sound at the same joint for the higher-profile shows. I've been doing this for about eight years. I also own a PA and do gigs elsewhere occasionally.

3) Passing Wind: currently a duo, just me and a drummer. I double on guitar and guitar synth. Improv, from Real Book jazz to Zappa/Waits sort of political-weirdo stuff, to straight country, to bad hair metal, to Crimson-esque prog happiness. Over the years, we've had a few different guitarists, and a 5 string solid body violin player. Looking for a sax player at the moment. No ambitions for commercial gigs; we play half a dozen fun ones a year, have a nice little following, and confound our enemies with slide bass and other scary tricks.:cool:

4)No name yet: a trio with the drummer from #3, plus an acoustic guitar/singer/songwriter; Nashville country-blues, plus a few classic rawk tunes. Ready for paying gigs, first one's next week. The sort of thing people can still carry on a conversation over, but with some nice arrangements and playing if one listens for that.
  8. Miles Away - original rock band I've been playing with for the past year and a half. We started out as a prog band but nobody would come see us, so it evolved into a happy 80'sish rock band. We're like the bastard child of Guns n Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, and Rush. Gig pretty regularly, currently recording our first studio album after some poor home recordings. We have about 50 songs written.

SunPig - Been playing with them for just over 6 months, heavy modern rock. They had two showcases for major labels before I joined so I'm pretty optimistic about the future with them. None of them had the business smarts I'm bringing in and it's starting to payoff having that as part of the roster in the lineup.

I'm playing a sub gig in January for the local 80s party rock/metal tribute band, which will be a blast. Basically play all the same covers a bar band would except they do it at the big live music venues and pack the house based on an incredible stage show and tons of marketing. Played with them once before, and it's totally like being a rockstar with hundreds of people packed into the venue and singing along.

See sig for links.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My three bar bands, in descending order of busy-ness:

Bad Weather Boyz: My #1 band! Motown, blues, classic rock. Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stevie Wonder, Beatles, Cream.

No Alibi: country (male and female), classic rock, blues, southern rock, bluegrass.

Jump the Shark: started out as mostly original hard rock along with modern rock/metal and punk, but the guys got tired of playing for little or no money so now we do classic rock and radio rock.
  10. Santiago; Latin-american band, Santana, Gypsy Kings, Ray Barretto, BuenaVista SC, Gloria Estefan etc.

Black Snapper; Rockabilly with attitude. Doghouse bass. Almost psychobilly really. Very demanding physically, slapping very fast tempos on the upright bass is pure hell.

John Redman Band; straight-ahead neo-classic jazz standards. Double bass for this one too.

Over the years, I have taught bass at a high school, done sessions (about a dozen albums), and backed international artists visiting New Zealand.
  11. Until recently I was in a 4 piece emo/punk band, fronted by a girl, we had a guitarist who's a better bassist than I am, and a drummer from up my road.

We could never decide on a name. We went through at least 10 names. A selection included This Day Forward (already taken), Buttonpusher, Valiant Effort, As Dreams Die, From Riches To Ruin....ya.

We got like 4 songs done, and we had about 7 practices in total...this is over a period of like 8 months tho. :rolleyes:
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lucid Dreamer

Original hard rock and metal, influenced by Triumph, Rush, Iron Maiden, punk, King's X, Kiss, and modern rock. Guitar, bass, drums, and female vocalist.

Vinny & the Jets

50's, 60's & 70's covers, from Elvis to Led Zeppelin.

I also play praise and worship at church 3 times a week. We play everything from traditional hymns to modern praise music to jazz instrumental arrangements with tenor sax, piano, bass, drums, and electronic keyboards.

Have a couple of other projects going too, but they haven't gotten very far.
  13. Last Call
    Four-piece (vocalist, guitarist, bassist, drummer) rock cover band, from CCR to Pat Benatar, from Bryan Adams to Ozzy Osbourne. This is a relatively new band (october) and we still have lots of work to do, but we're already gigging, having fun, and making some dough. :cool:

Five-piece (vocalist, two guitarists, bassist, drummer) rock cover band, with similar repertoire to Last Call, and a little country. This band is nothing serious, but we still play some gigs and make some dough! :D

Pop-rock originals band in the works, consisting of Last Call's three musicians, although the drummer is the vocalist, and we're seeking for a new drummer. Band name is being reconsidered (fortunately!).

Brandy Creek Cleb
    Same line-up as Cockpit, this is a hard rock/heavy/nu-metal cover band, also in the works.

I also do some pick-up gigs and participate in jam sessions. :bassist:
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Would you like to hear a Bluegrass song that will totally blow your socks off?? Take a listen to "Get Up John" by Ricky Skaggs!!

15. I'm currently in a three piece Metal/Punk cover band by the name of Praetorian. I (John) play bass and vocals, Josh plays guitar and vocals, and Bill beats the drums. We play covers by bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Bad Religion, AFI, Alice in Chains, Danzig, Ramones, and AC/DC. We are also currently working on some original material, but none of it is completely finished.
  16. I play in a band called Delayed..
    I play bass and "sing":D , My brother Andy Lead on guitars, backin vocals and keyboards, and a friend o´mine Name Nicolas(Aka "Zarna") on drums and percussion and chello.
    We `ve played a couple of covers, the songs that we usually play are:

From Primus:
    -Jerry was a Race car driver (it was basically a jam with the main riff)
    -Tommy the Cat(we mix our song "pretty lil girl with the aweakening, then, drum solo and then.. the end of tommy)
    -Amos Moses(I love to play that song!)

From STP:
    -Crackerman(We play that song tons of times...)
    -Unglued(a really crazy version of this one:p )

-Born to be wild(We play it once. We used to play it at reharsals, and one time, we where jammin and Andy suddenly came with the chorus riff... The rest is History)

The Police:
    -De do do do, De da da da(Great song, besides... Girls love it!)

Take Primus. Add more funk. Now, add a lot of darkness in the lyrics and the tempos. Tons of weird effects and conceptual songs. Then you get Delayed.

Im also the bassist of a Jazz band called Buenos Aires Jazz trio. We play jazz standars there. Really cool.

One day, I might upload something for ya:cool:

17. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I just got started with something sweet! I just joined up with a funk/latin/soul/"anything else that fits" cover/original band. I don't know the name, but I am really psyched that I am playing with such experienced musicians! Go me!

I am also starting up a little straight up Rock band with a couple of friends. We already agreed that we shouldn't put too much time or effort into this since we all work, go to school and play in bands.

Go me!
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As some of you know, I play bass in a "cheezy" classic rock band. We play locally, within 15 minutes of each bandmates home & rehearsal place. It is incredibly convenient, but it will change by the end of May. At that time one of our guitar players is moving with family to Nashville.
    As a band we'll have to re-tool and modernize a bit. I am actually looking forward to updating the set list. The crowds lately have been requesting "newer" classics, so things will probably be O.K.

19. In the process of commenting that "Cockpit" was a brilliant name, I noticed that it's "fortunately" being reconsidered. Doh!!!
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My last/current band which is back home in Miami.

We are a 5 piece that play a heavy rock kind of music. Im not relaly sure what its called, but its the same vein as "GlassJaw" and "Coheed and Cambria".

We are about 50% origionals and 50% covers even though we are really an origionals band. We use the covers to fill in the space thats there since I cant write songs with them since I left town soon after we formed. We keep getting asked to come back for more gigs even though we've only played three small shows.

Though we try to write good songs I think the main reason we get such a good response is from our stage presence.

The singer is very dynamic and is very connected with the crowd and I tend to be a bridge between the crowd and band by singing along with the audience and jumping over to the drummer or guitarist where we might crash into eachother or zone in on eachother.

I plan on playing with them at least untill the highschool battle of the bands. I played there last year in another band with my singer (really a drummer) on drums and we won. We are expecting the same results this year.