Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Describe your band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Whitebread, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Hey there everybody. I looked around a bit and couldn't find this topic, so would any of you out there like to describe your band for everybody. Just tell about your band
    mates, your type of music, ecetera. And maybe include a link to it's website if you have one.

2. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    I'm no longer in a band, whee! I dropped out. But, i will describe my EX-band!

Better be careful how i word this...

Anyway, this is busface:
    [​IMG]
    She's the guitarist. Very focused on writing her own material. Probably the perfectionist of the group. I guess that's not a bad thing...

This is Debra:
    [​IMG]
    A little quiet, a little confused, but hey...nothing wrong with that. He's the drummer.

And now, for me:
    [​IMG]
    Bisk. Bassist. Laziness prevailed, i got pissed and left. I never wanted to cooperate. So, yeah...

Anyway, we had a site and still have one up...the addy is http://surf.to/antipop so go mess around with it.

------------------
    I am rubber, you are glue. Whatever you say i will store in a little box just in case i need to shove it down your throat at any given moment.

3. Ktulu

Ktulu

May 8, 2000
    OK, here goes...

My band's name is Nether-X.

Josh is the singer/lead guitarist (can't really do both at the same time yet).

Lowell is the rhythm guitarist.

I'm the bassist.

No drummer.

If any of you have never been in a band without a drummer, you would not BELIEVE the difference it makes. We've had a couple of them practice with us (didn't pan out), and the difference is just incredible. Even if they suck, the drums seem like they're about 50% of the music.

Anyway, I just had to say that. We don't have a website up yet, since we don't really consider ourselves a band considering we don't have a drummer. I'll let everyone know when we get one up, though.

Whitebread, are you in a band? Tyros, maybe? If you are, tell us about yourselves, if you don't mind.

Later, all.

4. My band...

Einar
    The guitarist and singer(he can actually sing and play at the same time...)

Arnar
    Guitarist(solo, he thinks) A real frikin' pain in the ass! and his initials are ASS. he´s just in the band so he won´t feel left out.

Bjössi
    The drummer(is there more to say?)

and Me, Kjarri
    The Bad-ass Bassist!

We play all sorts of music...

------------------
    signature???? hmm...

5. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Yeah my bands name is tyros, its latin for "beginners" our old singer was a foriegn exchange student from ukraine and he got sent home. Were a punk band with about a 50/50 split of originals and covers.

Matt is our lead guitarist and has taken up the singing for the band, he's a great guitarist and a pretty good singer, he sometimes has mood swings or something were he doesn't want to practice or something but it only last for a couple days.

Terry is our rythymm guitarist, he's pretty good at writing songs but not very good at playing because he hardly ever practices by himself. We like to make fun of him because he bought a cheapo flying v for no reason

Jordan is the drummer and he's really good at it, although he's a bit of a pothead. He gets mad when we make fun of his girlfriend because she looks like shes 7 years old.

And i'm the wierd bass player. I get called gay pretty often because I like to hit on terry and I wore this like 5'3" girls(I'm 6'0 tall) t-shirt and hot pants to the park(very disturbing)

We all get along really well except for matt's occasional mood swings and terry's temper.

[This message has been edited by Whitebread (edited July 18, 2000).]

6. melco

melco

Jul 19, 2000
    Heres the scoop...
    We're three-piece chick band from adelaide we jam alot but haven't come up with a solid name... Our style is moody and depressing, but it's soo much fun and when I'm playing I couldn't be happier!! We've been told we sound like placebo/the cure but I'm stoaked to say i think we're alot like a Perfect Circle... [​IMG]

Our drummer tef is sooo inteligent it's scary and paranoia style... But she's really funny and nice, a great person to talk to and very wize about everything... But she's depressed quite alot, just like me [​IMG]
    Prize possesion: Her sanity
    Description: Wize

Our Guitarist blazer is very funky fashi0n bitch(Aaaaaahahahah) but very nice, she loves to bitch n talk about guys hehe and is almost never sad and willing to talk about anything. B is damn obsessive, just like me [​IMG]
    Prize posession: Probably her friends
    Description: Fashi0n bitch

I play bass(What else [​IMG] but i can't really describe myself... I got the band together, but i'm damn lazy so it was a while before we had our first jam... I'm the most laid back and cool with almost anything... Hehe I love sunglasses...
    Prize possesion: Sunnies & Bass [​IMG]
    Description: Laid Back

The one rad thing about the band is we're all so completely different, and there's only really a few similarities other than music tastes.
    The one thing we all have in common is we look a hell of alot older than we really are and at times act like we're about 30. Not on purpose mind you. Which is also kinda freaky because i never even noticed.

Catchya

------------------
    ....i mean nothing against pizza, but i´m sure you´d rather play bass until your fingers bleed again... *lol*

000oooo yeah man!!
    I love you man!!
    Cyer n have fun.. Buy more magnet stuff... ;)

7. ok heres my band Enemy At War:

[​IMG] Thats Darryl, rhythm guitarist/singer. he gets mad and man does he lose his temper easily. he never gets mad at us though. except for the time he tried to beat the crap out of drummer but thats another story.

[​IMG] Thats Shelby, Lead guitarist. man can he rip out the lightnin fast solos! but hes a left hander so hes always under rated [​IMG].

[​IMG] Thats Jake, the bassist/backing vocals (wow bet ya didnt expect that comin! [​IMG] ). well im so cool because i play bass..... and im also a co-founder of the band (thats why im so cool)

[​IMG] Thats Stephen, the drummer. hes stickin out his tongue becuase hes still like 11 years old (but hes still an awesome drummer).

[​IMG] Theres Ryan, our third guitarist (yes thats right we have 3 guitars). hes so confused becuase he sucks at guitar and we are gonna kick him out of the band tomorow and he doesnt expect it comin.

:no picture available: Sam the hopeful? thats right, after we kick out ryan my brother sam may actually play rhythm guitar for us! kinda wacky huh? hes alright at guitar....but you know.....hes my brother....

and thats the whole gang

------------------
    "To be good and powerful, be corrupt and really good at math" --Big Wheel

[This message has been edited by jrthebassguy (edited July 20, 2000).]

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Sure, I'll bite.

Band: Second Story
    http://www.second-story.net or http://www.mp3.com/secondstory

Members:

Danielle, lead vocals/flute
    Me, bass/midi-bass/vocals/web-dude/etc.
    Scott, guitar/midi guitar/vocals
    John, keyboards/vocals
    Tom, drums

We've been together for almost 5 years (current lineup about 4) and we're all original. We have a sound that has progressive music complexity with pop sensibilities. Dig it!

------------------
    Mark Gollihur
    Bassist, Second Story
    http://www.second-story.net
    http://www.mp3.com/secondstory

9. Hey all,

I'm in a progressive rock band called Ice Age. We're on Magna Carta records. Our second album is due out around Jan. 2001
    http://www.ice-age.com

10. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I'm in two bands:

Band #1: TINITUS

Robin (me)
    [​IMG]
    I'm the lead singer and the bassist. I also play guitar occasionally if required. I am also by far the biggest smartass in the band aswell as the founder which is why I gave myself the "cool" smilie.

Martin
    [​IMG]
    Our guitarist. Martin is a great guy, and an exellent guitarist. He can play any song with no trouble. He learned the entire solo of "Nothing Else Matters" in like 10 minutes. He's also kind of confused and not so bright...

Frigge (Frederik)
    [​IMG]
    Our drummer's real name is Frederik, but we call him Frigge. He is (I'm not kidding) the best drummer I have ever met. There's no doubt in my mind. When we play live, audiences always want a drum solo from Frigge after the concert. And he delivers it with style. He is the 'Mr. Nice Guy' of the band.

Band #2: SYMPATHY WITH THE DEVIL (I know it's an old Stones song...)

Christian
    [​IMG]
    Christian is the lead singer of the band. He has a great voice and he's also the guy who gets all the girls (which is why I like my other band better [​IMG])

Alex
    [​IMG]
    Our rhythm guitarist. Nice guy, but sadly dominated by his b**ch of a girlfriend..

Stephan
    [​IMG]
    Now here's a guitarist who knows what he's playin'! Stephan is a great guitarist with a big musical future! He is a bit of a smartass though...

Jonas
    [​IMG]
    Our drummer is Jonas. He is a cool guy with a great sense of homour. Unfortunately, he's not a very good drummer...

Robin (me)
    [​IMG]
    Then there's me... Bassist and backing vocals. There's not much to say.. I'm just the bassist.

~Loxley~ (I'm a guy [​IMG])

------------------
    Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    stingray5, looks good, but whats with no gigs happening? do you actually have no gigs or is the website out of date? looks worthwhile though. cant wait to get home to hear something.

------------------
    (WARNING: THIS IS ANOTHER STUPID TIME WASTING POST BY BREWER9. PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE TOO SERIOUS!)

12. Hey brewer,

No gigs happening at the moment as we're still in the studio finishing up recording our second album. Then the mixing process begins and, since we're doing it all ourselves, we go back and forth between "gig" mode and "recording" mode.

After the album is complete, we hope to maybe hook up with a bigger name band and do some touring. Maybe the record label will help us out with that [​IMG] Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Later,

Arron

13. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Gotcha! thats way cool. i hope the recording comes out as you want it to.

14. vectormane

vectormane

Jul 10, 2000
    My "band" is/was called Restricted, but we don't like that name anymore, so we're nameless right now.

Danielle - The lead singer/songwriter, and the control freak. But she has an assload of lyrics.

Joe - Lead guitar/Drummer (not really), he only knows like 5 chords, but he's still pretty cool. He is our drummer by default, since he owns a set, but he can't play guitar and drums at the same time.

Mike - Rhythm Guitar, he only knows like 3 chords, and his guitar is broken, but he's also pretty cool.

Ashley - Backup Vocals/Backup bass - She founded the band, and was bassist before I was. But now she switched to singing. She is also a control freak. She likes to hit people

Xavier - Bass - Me! I've got the most skill and the least creativity in the band. I'm also the peacekeeper. I'm also the coolest member, or so Ashley and Joe say, because I put my ::ahem:: organ in sweet and sour sauce.

15. JLeeFJ

JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes, I claim not to have a band. Here's what I was attempting:

Zach: Vocalist/lyricist/keyboardist
    Cool guy, good keyboardist, excellent lyricist. I might try to get something set up with him. We could probably record an album betwixt the two of us.

Michael: Drums/guitar. Sucked at both, knew it, abandoned the cause. He could've become a decent guitarist, but he's got one of those things called a "social life [​IMG]." Oh well.

Jonathan: Guitar-like noises. The guy has spent a good $6000 over about three years on equipment and lessons, but he can't play worth $#!t. He couldn't write a single riff, couldn't think of something different to play over my stuff, and I took fifteen minutes to teach him a slow, simple, drop-d riff that lasted all of three seconds. I think he still thinks we have a band.

Jarrod (me): bass/keyboard like noises/semi-drummer/guitar. I'm a musicians kid, what can I say? I inherited a little skill. I've only been playing a little less than a year, but I can still play well enough to blast Jonathan out the window. I wasn't really that interested in a band, but I got roped into it anyway. We held practice at my house, since I'm the only one with a drum kit and a buttload of amps, along with a little studio equipment. I think we had all the band members in one place about three times. One of which was a concert we were attending. Even then, we still couldn't quit arguing.

------------------
    "My hovercraft is full of eels." -John Cleese

[This message has been edited by JLeeFJ (edited July 23, 2000).]

16. We've sorta decided on changing our name every time we play, unless we find a really good name. Our next name-to-be is gonna be The Quantumbitchumboobalators.

Allcock (Well, that's just his last name. Honestly! His first name is Jon): Drummer/rhythm guitarist/singer #1. The one that's good, but always thinks/knows he can do better. However, he can't play guitar, drums and sing all at the same time. [​IMG]

Nam-Hi: Drummer/rhythm guitarist/singer #2. The guy that's damn good at both guitar and drums, but unfortunately can't play both instruments and sing at the same time either. [​IMG]

Adley: Bassist/backup vocals. Me. [​IMG] Ummm...lazy and constantly bored unless he's playing something on his bass. Unfortunately, here in my grandmother's house in CA, the dog seems to get very annoyed when I play, so it's kinda hard to play as much as I'd like without the dog constantly barking out complaints.

Jenn: Lead guitarist/singer. She's mainly in it because she's Jon's girlfriend, and he taught her some basic guitars. UNfortunately, she's not so great with chords, so she was given the role of lead guitarist. She's actually a cellist, but oh well. [​IMG]

Alfred: Frequent guest violinist. Out of us all he's the most 'local' of Hong Kong. Kick-ass violinist though. Said he wants to learn bass, too. [​IMG]

------------------
    I am a pool of extremely useless information. Take no notice of me whatsoever.

17. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    10 piece band that will take too long to describe but its all available at our website, www.groovehogs.com.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Laker (edited July 23, 2000).]

18. BassDudeJake

BassDudeJake

Jul 26, 2000
    My band's name is Liquid Angst and here it is:

[​IMG] Nath (Nathaniel)-Lead Guitarist, likes the Beatles like I do but is a little wierd

[​IMG] Woj (Wojtek)-Drummer, plays guitar, but in our first and only gig he played drums 'cause we couldn't find anybody else to, very enthusiastic

[​IMG] Ellie (Ellinore)-Second Guitarist/Lead Vocals, has an awesome voice, and is okay at guitar. Gave name to band and is very enthusiastic

[​IMG] Kenny-Back-up Vocals, isn't very good at singing and made himself part of the band without us knowing

[​IMG] Me-Bass, can't sing, but I'm good at playing bass. I'm very enthusiastic and I put together the band with Woj

------------------
    Playing bass is not a hobby. It is an essential.

[This message has been edited by BassDudeJake (edited July 27, 2000).]

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Band's Name is as yet undecided, something like Dark Horizon, Penny Dreadful, Inside Out, or Youth Of America, anyway....

Chris: Rhythm/Lead Guitar and vocals. He's my best bud, and he's a good guitar player, but he just can't play heavy or hard enough dammit! but he's cool. SOunds like Jacob Dylan (Bob's kid)

Me: I'm the bassist and vocals When I say heavy, and chunky, I mean it! And people say I sound like James Hetfeild and Wayne Static

Josh: Guitar- He's cool. hard rocker through and through. He's just not that good at guitar (he's rhythem)

And the drummer is being worked out most likey

Rod: He's quiet. REALLY quiet, but REALLY good at guitar and drums.

We are taking a hard rock approach to it. Sound like Godsmack, Bush, and Creed mixed together. I'm trying to get a three drum rhthem section, becasue I love drums, but the other guys think it's to much like Slipknot. Screw them, I like drums! Lots of them. It's primal, and really surreal. I want more drummers!

------------------
    "Did you say I'm JUST the bassist? Them's fightin' words."

I was just running through here...this is an ancient post...check "i've got me a band now" for an update

[Edited by Brendan on 12-16-2000 at 07:06 PM]