Describe Your Playing

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you could only use a remark to describe your playing, what would it be? I think a good description of mine could be summed up in a joke: 1985 called, it want's it's licks back!

I say that because listening to all the super fast double slappers and chord soloists on this forum, my technique is clearly from a simpler time.
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Erykah Badu called and said she wants me to play in her live band. I would say that sums up my playing style.
  3. baritones

Oct 5, 2005
    Im a pretty experimental musician. "Roccojacojamersonpercyjonesesque"! Or "Next inline for the Trey Gunn chair". Im a busy player when I can get away with it but that's from playing in trios and having to cover alot of ground. With my current progressive jazz group, I play alot of chords and harmonics if there's a place for it or im playing more freestyle musics. Plus, I use alot of strange tunings and effects to get harmonic chords and ambient textures on quieter tunes. My drummer calls me the "Andy Summers of the bass" haha. Some guitarists Ive played with hate me. haha! But I only try to enhance the music, not show off. Im not big on bass solos. I don't think they're necessary but if it means the guitarist can change his broken strings, Im always game for my spotlight dance haha.

But on more commercial or traditional material, Im pretty much in the pocket or on the one, bubbling along with the drummer like Rocco Prestia or Victor Wooten.
  4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I'm a ska kinda guy. Think of me as sublime meets james brown....
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I like dead notes and blue notes and try to use them whenever I feel they make sense musically.
    I like to describe the stuff I play as groove orientated rather than melodic as the fact that most bass lines aren't really melodies and sometimes sound pretty "abstract" when played alone was one of the things that made me pick up bass in the first place.
  6. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    What Would Will Lee Do!!!!!
    What Would Chuck Rainey Do!!
  8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Very Cool :cool:

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002

That's all any bass player ought EVER need to describe his/her playing.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I saw her play live on Dave Chappelle's show....some guy laying it down with a flame natural Modulus Genesis 5 and an Aguilar DB750. Was that you?
  11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'll just describe mine with a picture:

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
  13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  15. HarrisIsGod

Sep 1, 2005
    Hard attack, high fills. Like the bottom string.
  16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Definitely, snarling, roaring and grooving. :D Fingerstyle Snarling if you will.
  17. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Depends on the song

* Rhythmic/melodic - connecting the guitar and drums - best of both worlds.
    * Pocket - get in there with the kick and make it tight
    * Engine room - drive this thing
    * Some combination of the above