1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Describe YOUR Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Let's say, you're suddenly a very famous and wealthy bassist with endorsements flying up the wazoo...

"X" Company wants to come model a signature bass from the specs of your favorite bass you already own in your arsenal...what would yours be? (Post pics of your current bass if you want)

Fender1962Bass03.

Mine would be based off my 1962 Precision. Since we haven't invented time machines yet, mine would be a black AV 62 RI Precision with tort guard. One brass knob, one chome. A Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup added, and both knobs V/V wired to 100% tone. A badass II bridge on the tail, and my signature bass would be complete...

Now...if I could just get famous enough...

Lets hear/see some of your ideas!

2. Okay cool, I would go with a 1970 something Black Gibson Ripper with a diamond plate pickguard and some kind of on board tuner.

3. DSC01152.

DSC00640.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    cmon Spade, You can't have 7 different sig basses LOL. Let's narrow it down to one, please ;)

Killer looking basses though!!!

5. 72 pbass body and pickguard, one-piece maple Jazz neck, lollipop tuners, P/J pickup configuration with 70's bridge pup location, Gotoh 201 bridge, two stacked VT/VT knobs, side mounted jack, dunlop straplocks, would come in various colors, but the pickguard would always be matte black.

6. frozilla

frozilla

Dec 21, 2008
    Walrus, New York
    ALSO also really wants to be Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez
    Kinda based off my ATK with a blend of things I wish I had.

Ash Precision Body
    Buckeye Burl Top
    Bartolini MM Pickup
    Bartolini Preamp
    Badass II
    Maple Neck
    Stainless Steel Frets
    Hipshot Tuners with D-Tuner

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Spector NS-stye body
    18V Haz pre
    EMG P+H pickups (like John Campbell's Jackson)
    Black stain over tubed maple on the wings, but uncolored maple on the neck-thru piece, with an unfinished neck
    PF fretboard

I'd be good w/ that. :bassist:

8. I do not own this bass, but if I had an Ibanez signature, it would look like this:

bestfinishevar.

Features my "signature" bass would include:

• High output passive soapbar humbuckers
    • Active/passive switch
    • No onboard EQ, instead a buffer circuit that gives the bass a low impedence output, no change in gain so that the bass is the same volume active as it is passive
    • One volume control, one blend/balance control, no other knobs or switches
    • Same top as the bass shown above, only bookmatched to the center on the front of the bass (center stripe exposed on the back)

9. Thanks

LOL, I think my Achille's is that I like way too many sounds and configurations, although I'm getting good at justifying the since my wife doesn't think anyone should own so many guitars and basses. :meh:

10. That's exactly the electronics and control layout I want on my sig bass.

Otherwise, it's a Mike Lull M5V, just like the one I have now. The only differences would be hum-canceling pickups and the control layout described above.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I hear ya. I've got 7 myself, and a few guitars. The trick is not letting her keep track which ones you own and what you've traded or sold. Like, "Hunny, I've ALWAYS owned this one, I just picked it up from the tech with a fresh setup" (referring to a newly acquired bass, of course).

12. lel95

lel95

May 14, 2010
    sunderland, UK
    hmm.. mine would be an off-white fender body, no pickguard, maple fretboard, black pointy banana style head, PJ passive pup's, all black hardwear.

pretty much a 1980's jazz special with a different head and maple fretboard :)

13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think that would have to be a 5-string version of my hollowbody Curbow 6, except with figured maple top and blueburst finish and natural "faux" binding like my fretless 5, plus a matching figured maple-bound fretboard and headstock. Maybe an ACG filter preamp in place of the EMG or Bart preamps that are in them, as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. LOL, the one I've used a few times is that I've had it on order for a few years and it just finally got completed. I think she figured that one out already. I'm just lucky she's allowing me to get one if I sell one.

15. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    62 Precision body
    62 reissue jazz neck
    Rosewood Fretboard
    Vintage Longneck tuners+hipshot d-tuner
    Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Precision pickup + SJB-3 jazz pickup with the jazz at bridge position
    wired into a single on/off switch and a single tone knob.
    Fender high mass bridge
    Black Nitro finish
    Warmoth violet pearloid pickguard

16. This guy:

JB01.

17. Yamaha TRB 5-string with something unusual

18. Oh boy, a stock 4003 with 2006 specs!

Gear004.
    sahdabdas.

19. Hmm... let's see. I'm a nobody. I can sorta play bass. My signature bass will be a stock SX P/J. :p

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    seeing some creative ideas here! post more pics if you got them, everyone!