1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Describe YOUR Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Feb 10, 2011.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    hmmmm

Body style: I always loved this style from Greg Yancy.... mine would have a MUCH wider fretboard tho:

[​IMG]

35" scale 4 string setup for BEAD tuning with zero fret and string thru body bridge. Two Seymour passive soapbars spaced close together near the bridge... kind of G&L L2500 spacing.... Wide nut.. say maybe 1.875", slim shallow-C profile.

Ebony fretboard with 24 super-thin banjo frets, bolt-on 3pc maple neck, 2pc flame maple body with the old "Honey-Violin" finish you saw on the 90's Warwicks. All passive.

Thats it. Anyone wanna build this for like $1500? :cool:

2. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    I always wanted..

maple burl top on swamp ash back
    70s pickup positioning
    70s full scale jazz bass body
    rock maple neck
    maple fretboard w/ mother of pearl block inlays
    20 frets
    sadowsky humcancelling pickups
    sadowsky preamp

it ain't fantasy nomore.

IMG_1642r.

IMG_1652r.

3. girlonbass

girlonbass

Apr 3, 2009
    Without question... Atlansia Victoria...

[​IMG]

More...

4. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    Neck through with a THIN neck profile
    Nordstrand Big Singles
    3 band Bart pre with N-Tuner and Sadowsky VTC
    Ash body, flamed maple top
    BRIGHT transparent neon orange finish

5. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Already have my sig. bass in hand!!! :hyper::bassist:

P1000552.

6. clintotron

clintotron

Nov 11, 2008
    Somewhat of a mix of a Streamer $$ and a Jerzy Drozd Excellency V. All flamed Maple Jerzy body shape (rounder, "puffy" upper horn), $$ electronics, Wenge neck, 5-string, brass nut/frets w/zero fret, Wenge or Ebony fretboard, black hardware, translucent satin orange or MM-style honeyburst in satin.
    Or the Maple/Ash Dolphin in Warwick's custom shop gallery.

Sent from my iPod touch using TalkBass

7. J0ttem

J0ttem

Oct 2, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Music Man Bongo 4HHp
    Pacific Blueburst Colour
    Black Pearloid Pickguard
    Black hardware
    Ebony Fingerboard (fretted)
    Hipshot Bass Xtender

8. for My Second sig model:
    smaller profile Jazz body with 70's style beer gut contour (I am in my 40's). Finished in trans-red, Ash of course. Mahogany neck with ebony fretboard. MOP blocks, they would be octagonal, just to be difficult. MM pickup with coil tapping on bridge, Jazz on neck. Not sure of brands for pickups and elctronics so I would likely drive the custom shop around the bend trying EVERYTHING.
    Active/passive switch, and most important I want a big 3 way toggle switch to select bridge/both/neck. I hate "blend" knobs. Pick a side! No really, I just like to be able to go from entirely one pickup, to entirely the other in the middle of a song and have found knobs to be clumsy at this. The knob on the toggle should be a Spike like you see on dog collars and Judas Priest members.
    Completely shielded, shielded like it's going into space! Locking jack. Straplocks of course. Locking tuners if such a thing exists for bass. Love them on my guitar. String thru body bridge, something MM/G&L-esque with a lot of mass and no wiggle. Zero fret and tilt the headstock back about 5-10 degrees instead of using a string tree. Like the Roland synth bass that Lynott played. Put a volute on there to keep the joint strong (unlike Gibsons!). Set up to tune to C standard. Skinny frets and a nice round vintage style radius. Heck, neck binding, DOUBLE neck binding like you see on banjos and mandos.
    Most importantly it should have a strong high mid voice from about 800hz to 2k, without being all screechy at 3k-4k. Low end needs to be solid of course without sounding too hard. A bit scooped in the 3-400 hz area or mud flats as we call it in recording. The electronics need to have a hot enough output to overdrive a tube amp, but be able to be dialed back to more conservative levels. Maybe a volume knob that has detents? That would be sick.
    The case needs to have a real compartment for strings/tuner etc like old school cases have. Indigo interior to the case which will be bright red!
    Why are cases all black, makes it way too easy to lose them!

9. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 4.12.53 PM.

This in a lighter blue, with a Jazz width neck. Maybe throw the K-switch mod in there too, why not.

10. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Welcome back, old thread. Well, not that old. :)

M. M.

11. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    My bad, I saw your link in another thread and thought this was still ongoing!

12. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    No bad on your part. Both threads are worthy of being current. I just wanted folks to know about both.

M. M. :)

13. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    Well my signature bass cannot be reproduce because it's made out of yew wood and lane poor soapbars... 20150606_085245.