1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Describe your strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Technotitclan, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I am currently using Hi-Beams and I do like them a lot but they last maybe a month tops for me. I do clean them with using denatured alcohol and that gets them to about 90% new sounding but I have to soak them for a week for them to last more than 2 days.

So basically I'm looking to try other strings. I would like strings with good lows and mids but enough high to sound clear and not muddy. My current sound is best describe like that of Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne just with a tad less high.

So right now I'm looking for description of the following strings from the people that use them. I put together this list of steels in order of price from Bass Strings Online. Specifically I'm looking mostly at the ProSteels, SIT and Ernie Ball but am still open to the rest.

ProSteels: 13.98
    Fender: 13.95
    Dunlop: 14.65
    SIT PWR Steel: 14.15
    Ernie Ball: 15.45
    SIT Rock Steel: 16.50
    GHS Super Steel: 16.90
    Markley Round core: 17.35
    Roto Swing 66: 18.78
    Blue Steel: 19.95
    GHS Progres: 20.40
    Markly Helix: 20.95
    Spector Steel: 21.95
    Sadowsky Blue: 22.50
    Hi-Beams: 22.75
    Helix Sixx: 22.95
    MTD Steel: 26.99
    Labella Hard rock: 27.75
    La Bella Deep Talk: 29.00
    R. Cocco: 36.00

2. So you want the absolute cheapest?

Pro steels suck IMO. Sure they sell a lot of them, but they also sold a lot of Teal Grand Am's in 95 :D
    If you try them, order a smaller D string and a larger E string. The prepackaged sets are horribly unbalanced.

Never used SIT steels or EB steels, Used both brands Nickels though. Don't use either now

You want a bright string that last a long time, Try GHS Super steels, or GHS Contact core if your set up will allow. They break in and sound like new Dean Markley Blue Steels:bassist: (DM Blues Are My personal Favorite)

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    The only brands you have listed that I use are the Roto-Sounds, and the Ernie Balls. I try to get a particular sound from each of my basses, to suit what I play with them, so they vary a lot, size- and brand-wise, but generally tend to be nickle flats.The exceptions are the Alembic (heavy stainless rounds), the 450b Kramer (very heavy nickle rounds), and the 2 Rickenbackers- just to make them sound different from each other. Rotos on my violin bass (of course!) and a Dano. Just depends on what sound you want.

4. Ezmar

Ezmar

Jul 8, 2010
    I would refute this by saying that I recently gave Prosteels a go, and I might very possibly ALMOST like them more than my usual Rotosound 66s. They're still very aggressive, with a slightly smoother tone than Rotos.

Just offering a counter-opinion to keep things objective. Prosteels are pretty ace, in my opinion.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Just listened to a couple Mudvayne tunes on 'Tube.:eek: Don't think anything I use would really work for that. EB steels, or maybe stainless might suit.. Never used Prosteels; have used GHS Super Steels (came on my Kramer). They were good; just not quite the sound I was looking for. I notice D'Addarios aren't on your list; maybe they're too bright? They definitely are for me. Anyhow, have fun on your string hunt; the right ones are out there somewhere.:)

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Ernie Ball Slinky 45-105, perfect for me, been using them for years, whenever I try something else I come back to them.
    A bit harsh when brand new, they quickly gain mellowness while retaining a strong, focused attack that lasts for months. Very comfy for the fingers, too.
    I wouldn't recommend them to people who want a very agressive and bright tone.
    However, they are perfect for a powerful, steady tone.

7. Technotitclan

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Aggressive is what I'm looking for so I can probably knock these off my list.

8. Technotitclan

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I'm just looking for something cheap to get me from month to month. For recording I'll probably use a fresh pack of hi beams. I will try out the super steels though.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    For cheap you won't beat the SIT's.

10. I have an old set of Dean Markley Blue Steels. They have about 2 months of use, but Id send you a set to try them out if you wanted. They were cut for a MM 3+1, but should fit a 2+2 headstock

It doesn't disprove that there is almost a 20 pound difference in the tension from the tightest to loosest string in most of the prepackaged sets.

11. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Disagree on the suck - I've had a set on my P Special for a few months now and I think they're still sounding great. They've lost some of the intial zing but still lots of body to the sound.

But I completely agree about the tension, as with most packaged string sets. (I have Circle Ks on my other bass!)

12. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    You know who makes Prosteels, right? :smug:

13. Technotitclan

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    This is a little discouraging unless the high strings are the tighter ones. I like high tension on my high strings and lower on my E.

14. why would you choose the cheapest strings? :confused:
    it's not like you change them every week. out of the budget strings i recommend fender, don't last long but have a nice sound and feel initially.

15. Technotitclan

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Money is tight as I'm in the process of buying a house.

How would you describe the sound of the Fenders. I've only used there nickle strings and that was the set that came on my Squier back in 02 I think.

16. Technotitclan

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks to Lowactnsatsfactn for sending me some strings.

Any one else have some used strings laying around they want to send me?

17. Rotos for me. They last forever and have the sound and feel that i like. IMHO

18. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    In a set like 45-65-80-100 the tension is much higher on the high strings.

19. Technotitclan

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I did see that. The tension looks a lot like what I might want so there still on my try out list.