1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Describing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Microbass, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Hi all, I'm thinking about how I could describe strings, as I remember once that I did a reveiw.. and my gosh is was aweful :)

I know about feel on the strings, but what others thing should I think about the tone?

And I know what instrument I use counts to, but I'm focused on how I could describe the tone.

Thanks for any feedback :D

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There are a lot of terms in fairly common use that may help:

Bright - this term means that a string has a lot of treble

Deep - this term means that a string has a lot of low bass, the kind you feel more than hear, the kind that makes your pant legs flap

Dark - this term means not having a lot of treble.

Thumpy - usually refers to an abundance of low-mids that cause the "thump-in-the-chest" feeling

Thuddy - sort of like thumpy but with a lower frequency emphasis. Implies strong attack and short sustain. Less musical than thumpy

Punchy - lots of mids, tending to imply good note definition

Boomy - usually not a positive. Refers to excessive bass emphasis, causing "ear-overload"

Tight - well-defined sound, usually with somewhat rolled-off lows and solid mids

Loose - opposite of tight. Taking up too much sonic space, leading to boominess and poorly defined sound

These are just a few terms I'm familiar with. This is my interpretation of their meanings, as I don't know of a standard reference for such terminology. YMMV, as always.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I always think of them as being kinda, well ... stringy.

(ducks)

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hadn't thought of that. Would've saved me a lot of typing ;) .

Wasn't it Paul McCartney who said he used "long, shiny ones," in response to a question about what strings he used?