design batch #2 - criticism please! (big pic)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g00eY, Mar 11, 2006.

1. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL

now these are drawn to scale.

22 fret
    34" scale
    body is 12" wide
    neck pocket is 3" deep at the top half

comments and criticism please! :)
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

IMO #3 looks the best.

And that's a skinny jazz pup
  3. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I like number 1, but I would shrink that lower horn a bit. IMO, lower horns should never be on the same level as the bottom of the body.
  4. The bottom recess in #3 looks slightly steep or the pinnacle seems slightly narrow there. Do you think it will be comfortable on the leg when playing while sitting?
  5. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    The last design in the series looks the best.
    Just glancing at the sketch it looks as if the body width will be greater than the 12" you speced. Maybe I'm seeing things.

6. I like your drawing technique... with the marking of the 12th fret and all...

about the basses now, i would like #2 the best... IF that spot thats flat wasnt there, and was like #3... as well as the ...

well, lets just say a hybrid of 2 and 3... I like #2's upper horn.. if you mixed it with number 3's bottom horn and smoothed things out a bit, i would like it alot better than i like #3 right now...

in all, i think your doing a really good job... especially getting the body to scale...
  7. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for the comments and criticism, guys. the way i used the graph paper was so that each square would be a 2x2. some stuff looks out of scale (for example, the bridge looks bigger than it really is), but i guess that's how it looks when it's drawn... i'll probably do some more sketches tonight or tomorrow, maybe combine some like BassMan suggested.
  8. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    any more comments?
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like #3 as well, but you I would like it more if you scooped the cutaways a bit more, especially on the high side. It would be more condusive to higher access.
  10. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    quite nice, but your neck tapers look insane.
  11. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    I would love #2 if you gave it the ass end of #3 and remodeled the lower horn some
  12. I think it would look better if the "body" was wider than the horns.. other than that i think it looks great.. i like the nr.2 best
  13. I'm diggin' number two the most, great design btw. Keep it up man!

14. 2 and 3 are my favorite

4 reminds me of a tune bass
  15. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    I thought number 4 looked more like an air guitar :bassist: ;)
  16. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    keep the comments coming!

unfortunately, i let a friend borrow my original designs, so i won't get them back till Friday, but i'm brainstorming all over the place in my head right now.

#4 (or #1 if you want) was modeled after a tune bass cuz i kept having bad GAS for them for awhile. i'm gonna ditch that one, though. i personally like 2 and 3 better.

right now i'm leaning more towards 3. i redesigned the horns a bit on both 2 and 3 and 3 just looks a little better right now. #2 is more JP Plume-ish (with the upper horn and all), and #3 looks kinda like a Roscoe to me. i think the one thing that really distinguishes them is the cut-away on the rear where the output jack is.
  17. whoops...sorry i didn't realize that those were the same three designs, on top of each about a poor memory :)

i think the out of those three, i would change #3 to have more of a curve to the horns like #2 and that would be cool
  18. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    no 2 and no 3.

no2 is better imo though because i dont like straight lines in horns. as said above, make them curved ... they will look a lot more elegant that way and will let u profile them nicer